Author Topic: How to: work with Blender  (Read 110257 times)

Offline Shenzai

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 5
  • The Artist Fennec Fox!
    • View Profile
    • I'm on DeviantArt!
Re: How to: work with Blender
« Reply #70 on: February 10, 2012, 06:00:22 pm »
Actually, you can still find old python and old blender. I found them!
I'm using blender 2.49 with python 2.5. I've downloaded ogre blenderimport and export and a .dll that was missing and everything seems to be working fine now.

I just have one doubt for now... (on the very beginning lol...)
It's on the mirror thing.
"By now, you have surely noticed you have two planes on your 3d view instead of 1."
No... there was still just one plane...
I was following everything exactly as in the tutorial. What did I do wrong? o.o

Offline ZukoRocks!

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 10, 2012, 11:26:48 pm »
My sister managed to make a simple Spiked Dog Collar for Both canines and felines. Its textured and she has gotten it in the game. However for some reason the collar is too big for the neck. Heres a picture below to show you what i mean. she's tried re-opening the spiked collar and resizing it and it didnt work. Everything else seems to work fine apart from the size. She has a newer version of blender version 2.61. But yet when making normal objects that dont go on characters they come out the right size she's made them.Since its a newer version of blender exporting or importing ogre mesh files are not supported. Neither is Exporting or importing Xml files. After modelling with blender she had to use another 3d program called fragmotion to export it as a xml and then the ogre command tools to export it to a mesh. Got any ideas why it just doesnt want to shrink on the character?

http://unleashed89.deviantart.com/art/Spiked-Collar-Size-Problem-284335050

Offline Eagleify

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 22
  • I like your flagella.
    • View Profile
    • Eaglify's DeviantArt
« Reply #72 on: February 11, 2012, 12:14:57 am »
Nevermind, I experimented a bit, and figured out how to export and get them in game (right way up) using the newest version of Blender, Python, and the Ogre XML converter. I could post that here, if people liked. I have no idea if it is the quickest, most relible, or best method, but it works for me.

Once again, Hammy, thanks for the tutorial! It worked wonders :)
I'm not active peeps. I've moved on it life, so to say, managing a game community with over a million players. I hope you enjoy my maps, meshes, and presets I made in my time here.

I might be on like once every few months, just to check in. But other than that, Bai!

Offline Ingredient

• ~Dead men tell no tales~
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 366
    • Ingredient91
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 11, 2012, 12:14:57 am »
Hamilton, Im sorry to say this, But as ingredient said, This tutorial just isnt helpful anymore.

1. Im pretty sure 2.59 does NOT have the grid button!

2. Without the grid button, We cant load any scripts im quite sure of it.

3. This is quite hard to follow, Since theres a lot of things removed in blender 2.59.

Not trying to tell you what to do, But im just suggesting something here.
You may want to get the newest blender, And just make a tutorial for it. Im pretty sure we cant even GET the old python anymore, And so, Even if we did have the old blender, There wouldnt be a python to work with it.

See my problem here, Hammy?

Yes, exactly my point.
There are differences between the two versions, from when your version was out things have been removed and changed around. I dont even think you can get that ogre window up in 2.59, that is the main thing i need help with.

With our different versions i struggled to understand. For ages ive been looking up tutorials on Google and YouTube. Step by step i managed to understand the tools and how to export. Now im looking how to get the material and texture to work automatically on my mesh along with getting it right side up, still no luck with that.
Will be inactive due to work and exams.

Offline DarkmoonNight

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 17
  • ~WolfDark~ <-- mah user in game.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 15, 2012, 12:49:53 pm »
I downloaded everything but when I open blender(2.59) and i try to export it still doesnt say xml exporter and I placed everything in scripts.

Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBC code and smileys may be used in your signature.

Offline Ingredient

• Ancient Silver Mane
    • Ingredient91
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 15, 2012, 02:01:55 pm »
I downloaded everything but when I open blender(2.59) and i try to export it still doesnt say xml exporter and I placed everything in scripts.

The python files should be placed in Scripts>> Add ons then the add on has to be installed through User Preferences. Then it can be exported as a .txml which can be converted then with the XML Converter tool.

Offline Hamilton

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 102
  • Stand your ground.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 15, 2012, 08:19:31 pm »
http://www.blender.org/education-help/
http://cgterminal.com/2011/08/23/an-introduction-to-blender-2-59-free-ebook/
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&safe=off&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&q=blender+2.61+tutorial&psj=1&oq=blender+2.61+tutorial&aq=f&aqi=g3g-m1g-b6&aql=&gs_sm=3&gs_upl=1561l15881l0l16978l21l20l0l1l1l3l761l7403l0.1.10.0.3.4.1l19l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=a40723af4d2b94e4&biw=1016&bih=634

Yes, some icons in the newer version were changed, but their LOCATIONS have not. If you had taken a gander through the rest of the thread, a lot of the differences were explained. The WINDOW VIEW BUTTON is on the LEFT hand side of the HEADER. It is a SMALL, SQUARE button with TWO SMALL ARROWS in it that indicate it as a DROP-DOWN MENU. 3-d view will be associated with a MINI CUBE IMAGE.

Whether or not YOU find the tutorial helpful, does not negate it's use to everyone else. It still has it's use and has still been helpful to a NUMBER of other players.

This tutorial is NOT the only way to work with blender. It is not some OFFICIAL PROPER way. It is but ONE way, that was learned over 3 years of hard work. And is intended only as the guide that it was written to be. It is stated over and over that the version used is older. There are LINKS RIGHT ON THE FIRST POST to the older versions.

There are LITERALLY HUNDREDS if not thousands of TUTORIALS, MANUALS, and HOW-TO GUIDES for working with a number of different versions of blender.

NONE of which will have you turned into a blender expert overnight. It just doesn't happen.

About setting up a material code linked to a mesh, THAT'S ON THE FIRST PAGE.

About the mirror, if you hit 'apply' before you had begun working, this would cause the planes to not be mirrored. Other issues may be: you are viewing the plane from the side view and mirrored across the x axis, the mirrored plane is behind the one you are viewing. OR you did not move the original plane away from the center point, so it's mirror is over-lapping the original.

Amber123

« Reply #77 on: February 17, 2012, 12:52:02 am »
:O Dis :O Is :O Ama :O Ziiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :OOOOOOOOOOO:O:O:O!!

feralheartdog

« Reply #78 on: February 17, 2012, 02:50:18 am »
Bwah! I'm finally getting the hand of it. Due to your tutoial i can start meh corner soon!

Offline Ingredient

• Ancient Silver Mane
    • Ingredient91
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 17, 2012, 05:54:29 am »
Good to hear Shanith :)