Author Topic: How To Make A Heightmap  (Read 3131 times)

Offline Tenturo

• Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 73
  • small bean
    • Goldown
    • View Profile
How To Make A Heightmap
« on: June 17, 2012, 12:27:10 am »
Ok. To make a height map and terrain mask, make SURE your photo editing program can save photos as .png format. Ok. What I do is open My Documents>Local Disk (C:)> FeralHeart> Media>Textures>WaterMill folder. Then, right click the picture titled: watermillTerrain and click copy, then click down in the folder, but below the the photos and such and right click then click paste. Then, click the file once in a right click, rename it with the map name Terrain at the end. I'll use an example from on I made myself: HjrundleFjordTerrain   Then, you want to open it with a photo editing program (GIMP, photoshop, or, as I am using, Corel PaintShop Photo Pro X3). So when your picture comes up, make your brush completely large, and cover the entire picture in a medium shade of grey. The darker grey you go, the deeper and deeper the section of your map is. So basically, Your mountains and hills are going to be white and light shades of grey, and your ocean, rivers, ponds and such are going to be black and darker colors. So, for a large map, use a small brush size for your water.  :P Anywho, whenever your done with your heightmap (it can ONLY be blacks, whites, and greys. NO color), Your going to save it in .png format. Dont close your program after you save it, but mimize it, pull up your folder we started going to, the watermill folder, and double click on the Terrain picture you saved. If it comes up they way it was on your photo program, then it worked. MAKE SURE to check to the side under Format and check to see if it says PNG format. If it doesn't, you didn't do something right. If it DID save correctly, then your ready to move onto your Terrain Mask.

Previous Username: Woofkita
Avatar Art done by Exotic Foods on Discord | Sig Art by Inferni on dA