Author Topic: Making Awesome Heightmaps with L3DT Standard Edition!  (Read 12053 times)

Offline Koyoss

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 7
  • I'm on your forums, creeping on your boards.
    • View Profile
Making Awesome Heightmaps with L3DT Standard Edition!
« on: July 01, 2011, 08:20:04 pm »
First, you'll need to download L3DT Standard Edition c:  You can do that here: http://www.bundysoft.com/L3DT/downloads/standard.php
GIMP and other similar programs are helpful here, but not needed!

I know there was something about L3DT on the old forums, thats were I found this from, but this tutorial is different c: Let's start!

1) Once you've installed L3DT Standard Edition, open it up.
2) Click File > New Project > Blank Heightmap
Doing this will give you a more promising outlook c:

3) Set the size to 512x512.
4) When clicking ''Next'' it will open up a program called Sapphire.  Here you can start making your map.

Sapphire is set on hover by default, keep it that way.  Right Mouse button is used to look around, WASD is used to move around, E moves up, whilst R moves down

::TOOLS::
You'll only need the heightfield tools. c:
            Point Grab
                    This is used to move terrain up or down on the Y-Axis by a selected point in which you grabbed.
            Raise Brush
                    This tool raises your terrain up, its handy-dandy for making hills and mountains c:
            Lower Brush
                    This tool is opposite of raise.  I suggest using this when making lakes and making a deeper ocean.  It will lower terrain.
            Set to
                    This tool sets terrain to a certain height value.
            Raise to
                    This sets terrain to a certain height, however, it will not effect heights taller than the height value you entered.
            Lower to
                    This sets terrain to a certain height, however, it will not effect heights lower than the height value you entered.
            Cliffs
                    This is helpful when making cliffs on mountains, set it to a value and then click on the hill or mountain you want to have it, and it creates the cliff.
            Avalanche
                    This creates the ''Avalanche Effect'' like sometime in the past an avalanche occured in the area.
            Bulldozer
                    If you use this and click on the ground somewhere, it will create a red line, in which you can move to a certain degree to bulldoze that area back to the original height ''0''.
            Leveller
                   It does the same thing as ''Bulldozer'' except it levels the area to the height you had clicked, rather than put it back to height ''0''.
            Level at
                   This you enter a set height value, then click creating the red line.  Anything within that red line will be leveled to the height value you entered.
            Smooth
                   You can use this to smooth out hills to create a more rolling landscape.  Can also be used to turn a mountain into a hill.
            Perlin noise
                   Within the area your on, when holding down the mouse button, creates jagged land.  I use this at the top of mountains to add a ''rocky'' effect to it.

You can use the center mouse button on your mouse to change the size of your circle area in which this all takes place.

Once you've made your preferable map, press the big red ''X'' button in which we all know of to exit sapphire.  This will create a black and white heightmap in L3DT.

After you've created it, press left CTRL+E to bring up the export window.
Set the file format to PNG
Enter a file name and click the ''...'' to the right of it, and set it to save in C:>Feralheart>Media>Terrains
Check the box ''Resize for Export'' and change the 512 to 513. c:
Then click OK, and shut down L3DT.  It will prompt you to save, you don't need to do this.

If you forgot to resize, open up GIMP or any other program, I use GIMP.  Then scale the image to 513x513.
If you do open it up in GIMP, you'll notice its already been grayscaled.  L3DT does this for you by default, so if you remembered to resize it when exporting it, you wont even need the GIMP(Or others) program except for making masks.

Now, you can go try out your map c:  I'm sure all you map makers know how to open it up in feralheart and begin making a map, but I'll tell you anyways for the begginers c:

Open up FH.
When on the title screen, click ''Tools'' and go to Map Maker
Go to the ''MAP'' tab of it and where it says ''Terrain Heightmap'' and ''defaultTerrain.png''
Change the ''defaultTerrain.png'' to whatever your heightmap is, say ''desert.png''
Click out of the box or press enter and it will load your heightmap. c:

I hope this helped a few people! :D  Talk to me here if you have any trouble understanding it, or PM me about it.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 08:37:08 pm by Koyo »

Pet's name: Dappledpelt

Offline FableTheWolf

• Floof-O-Meter: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Making Awesome Heightmaps with L3DT Standard Edition!
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 10:19:50 pm »
XD yay someone with recent L3DT knowledge!
Question: this creates hills and craters and stuff right? Well then do you know anything about terrains masks and/or how it works with the heightmaps?

Offline Koyoss

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 12:15:42 am »
As in using different terrains in-game?  After I make a heightmap with L3DT and export it as a PNG, I usually open it up in GIMP 2.0 and posturize it to a certain degree depending on what I'm trying to do, then, change the mode from Grayscale to RGB(Orwhateveritis) and proceed to use the fill bucket to fill certain areas with either 255 red, 255 blue, or 255 green.  Where you fill these in on the heightmap is where that specific thing will appear, then when you finish doing so, open it up in feralheart and type in the name of that PNG.  Red is the color that is 1, and default.  Not sure which one blue and green are, didn't pay much attention to that.  But theres a small arrow on the right inbetween terrain masks box where you type it in, and the terrains.  Click that to move through the terrains. C:

Also, L3DT creates hills and craters if you want it to.  For creating craters, like something fell from outerspace there or something, I suggest first raising to a certain height(Fixed.NOTMAP), then using the lower brush in the middle.  After you've gotten your desired deepness, use the avalanche tool along the walls of it, and it should turn out pretty cool :3

Gosh I mumble alot, don't I? xD
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 12:39:49 am by Koyo »

Offline TatteredHeart

• Floof-O-Meter: 1
  • Live every day like your dying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 04:18:00 am »
Hey, I just started making maps, and I was doing well (Thank to your help..tab..thing.. ;3;) Untill I tried to get it on FH, I've reread and reread, but it wont work.. It keeps saying (I called it test) 'Cannont Find Test!'.. If you could give me some help, I'd REALLY appretiate it. Thanks either way. :)
? Waiting for a mad man with a box

Offline Koyoss

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 12:51:48 am »
Did you save the file in C:>Feralheart>Media>Terrains?

Shanook

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 02:21:06 am »
This is great! I just started making maps and I had no clue what to do. Thnx for the helpful info :)

Offline TatteredHeart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 05:39:53 am »
Did you save the file in C:>Feralheart>Media>Terrains?
I did, But.. it still doesnt work ;3;

Offline Koyoss

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 03:42:04 pm »
Did you save it as a .png?

Offline TatteredHeart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 12:40:24 am »
I did, It just crashes my game,

Offline Koyoss

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2011, 05:22:33 am »
Hmm. Did you resize it when you exported it to 513x513?? thats the only thing that I can think would cause that.