Author Topic: How To Make A Good Request  (Read 2666 times)

Offline rustheart

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 76
  • Elbows are just arm knees.
    • RustyMcRustFace
    • View Profile
How To Make A Good Request
« on: January 30, 2014, 01:12:03 am »
How To Request Art

A full and informative form is important for all art requests.  Remember the artist does not have to do your requests and only a rare few people have a cost for their art.  You are getting free art and that person is taking their time to make it for you.   This page is about being a good customer when requesting artwork.  These tips are thought up by me.  If you see something that you think is wrong, isn't clear or you want to be added please tell me.  If you have any questions please post.

Choosing an Artist

Picking who you want to request from is the first step to requesting art.  While looking at the form titles make sure it says Requests anywhere in the name.  Not every artist does requests and it would be awkward for the artist and you if you requested and would be a waste of your time.  Some artist do have a cost for their art but not very many so make sure the art is free or you can pay the person.  Also make sure the artist has slots open.  Most artists, but not all, have a limit on how many requests they will take on at one time.  The title can tell you the slots the have and how many are taken.  As an example. 2/3 means they have three slots and two are taken.  Sometimes you have to go to the page to see their slots.  The slots are commonly placed on the top or bottom of the page.  Lastly look at their requests done and their examples to see if you even want art by the person.

Making a full and healthy form

Most artists will have a form for people to fill out when requesting.  Remember the form is the blue print for your art and it must have all the information needed by the artist.

Making a form versus given form

Maybe you don't want to fill out all the stuff asked or you think you should give more information.  But is it wise to make your own form when there is one made?  A form smaller than the given form will not give the information needed by the artist and will frustrate them.  A bigger form does give more information but it could overwhelm the artist and give information they don't need.  So it is best to use the form provided.  If you want to add something most forms have a 'other' slot where you can add it.

Filling out the form
Each form asks for a different combination of things but here are the common ones.

Username
Yes, your username is shown on every post you make but it makes it easier for the artist if it is on the form.  It is important because if it isn't there then how is the artists to know who the art is for?  I have had people put their in game usernames or a nickname in this place.  Do not do that, make it clear who you are and use the exact username that in seen in forum.  If you change your username make sure you inform the artist so they can get the art to you still.

Character name

This is useful if the artist wants to put the name on the picture.  I like it because I save the art file on my computer under the name of the person requesting and the character name.

Some people have different things they do with different genders.  This also helps the artist get a feel for what they character should look like.  A male character shouldn't have eyelashes for example.

You don't need a exact age but you can if you want.  Something like child, young adult, adult or elder will work too.  This helps the artist because if you have a puppy character you want it to look like the age of a puppy right?

Breed
Very important information is the breed.  Is your character a dog, cat or other animal?  Clearly this is important.  If your character is a certain breed say it.  If it is a hybrid say the breeds it is mixed with.

Reference

The reference is the most important part of the form.  This is what the artist will look at during the whole drawing and coloring process.  Make sure the picture is clear and shows all the markings of your character.  Drawing a character correctly from a real life animal is difficult and you may not get what you wanted.  If you have no reference you can make one.  If your not very good at drawing then search for a free lineart to color in.  Make sure you have permission to use it.  You could also describe your character with words but you may not get what you wanted that way too.  If you have requested art of this character before you can you that picture.

Personality
This helps people understand you character better so they can make the art look more like your character.  This helps them pick a pose and expression that matches your character.  You can describe the character quickly with a few words or go into it more and write a paragraph or two.  It depends on what you want.  Personally I like when people give a nice long description but it may not for other artists.

Other

This is where you can say anything about your request you feel the artist should know that wasn't asked for in the form.  Things like items they wear or anything that isn't shown in the reference.

Patience

Give the artist time to make your request.  Remember that    they have a life too and other requests they may have to do first.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 04:28:41 pm by Rustys »
"I'm a kitchen sink, you don't know what that means. Because a kitchen sink to you, is not a kitchen sink to me, okay?"
Snow Shoe
Drawn by Aviru

Offline Vask

• #2FAB4U
  • Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 80
  • Chaotic Neutral
    • View Profile
Re: How To Make A Good Request
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 01:19:43 am »
Very helpful information you have here! Though you might want to put it under Tutorials. Still an incredibly helpful tutorial nonetheless. It will surely help many floofs around who want, but don't know how, to get an art piece. Good job! *gives cookie*

Offline SL138197

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 37
  • Thank ye' TinyTail.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 07:04:45 pm »
Nice job Rustys!
DeviantArt: Riverthefluffybum
Minecraft: artsy_gamer906

Offline Aniuk

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 61
  • mesh requests? pm me~
    • giddyfox
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 10:16:56 pm »
Nice tuttie you've made, Rusty. Although you might have wanted to put this under Tutorials, as stated before me. This is really helpful to many users, I am sure , that are seeking art from others and are new to the art world.

sig by pokrova on deviantART

Offline rustheart

• Community Champion
    • RustyMcRustFace
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 11:04:19 pm »
Thank you guys, I am happy to know it will helpful.  How can I get it moved?
"I'm a kitchen sink, you don't know what that means. Because a kitchen sink to you, is not a kitchen sink to me, okay?"
Snow Shoe
Drawn by Aviru

Offline Aniuk

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 61
  • mesh requests? pm me~
    • giddyfox
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 11:36:32 pm »
PM a mod for it with a link to this asking to have it moved. c;

sig by pokrova on deviantART

Offline rustheart

• Community Champion
    • RustyMcRustFace
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2014, 02:16:12 pm »
I have messaged a Mod and it should be moved at some point.  :)
Snow Shoe
Drawn by Aviru