Author Topic: Do Unrealistic Characters Really Ruin Realistic Roleplays?  (Read 3355 times)

Offline Lady_Alizarin

• ✨ Is a Slytherin ✨
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 122
  • ~ Inactive on the forums
    • View Profile
Do Unrealistic Characters Really Ruin Realistic Roleplays?
« on: April 12, 2015, 09:09:53 pm »
Lately I've been roleplaying in Bonfire island to roleplay as a unicorn character. A couple people have stated that the presence of mythical/unrealistic characters has been ruining their realistic roleplays. They say that even if the unrealistic characters haven't been roleplaying with the realistic characters. They say things like, "I'm tired of seeing the powerplay posts. It makes me sick." or "Why are there so many dragons around the horses/deer?" "We don't want any powerplaying from the dragons!" "The mythical beasts always cause trouble!" That's not always true.

So do unrealistic characters really ruin roleplays for those who are trying to roleplay realistically?

My answer is.... *inhale*... it depends on the situation really. If there is an unrealistic character (a dragon for example) that is minding their own business and roleplaying with other dragons, not powerplaying, and playing fair, then why should people complain? Now if said dragon was going around, powerplaying, insta-hitting/insta-killing other characters, and interrupting a group of people who are roleplaying a serious/realistic-based roleplay, then yes. That's my opinion. Most of the time when I roleplay as my unicorn characters, they act more "mortal" than most of the dragons/gryphons around us. No one seems to complain too much about my unicorns.... except one person, who said my unicorn couldn't hang around them because they were unrealistic.

I witnessed some horse roleplayers who said to a Pegasus character, "We would rather not roleplay with unrealistic characters", then some dragon character got all mad about it saying they weren't being fair to the Pegasus. I think the horses had a right to not participate in roleplaying with someone who was doing a more fantasy-based roleplay. They weren't trying to be rude about it, but some took it personal. Then someone said something like, "Unrealistic characters always ruin everything!"

What do you think?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 03:14:17 am by Lady_Alizarin »
Inactive

Offline Jango_Fett

• Solid Snake
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 134
  • rotten kind of cute
    • euralore
    • EmpressWolf
    • littlemisscancer
    • parahyena
    • LM_Cancer
    • View Profile
    • Picarto.tv
Re: Do Unrealistic Characters Really Ruin Realistic Roleplays?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 09:18:23 pm »
I'd be a hypocrite if I said they did.

I have some of the most unrealistic creatures ever, who are always around 'realistic' people.

I agree, it really depends on the situation.
But, most of the time, I honestly do think it just adds spice to the roleplay, is not really much harm.

I.E.:
A Leopard/Horse hybrid interacting with a Pride of lions.
How much more unrealistic can that get?

P.S.
I've come to the conclusion that Horse roleplayers either reject you for being unrealistic and just overall shun you, ignore you, or accept you and then forget about you.

i don't know nothing about mopeds
feral_cast.fhm
have a question? just ask - Rubricae#6972

Offline Nemena

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 11:55:02 pm »
As you said, it honestly depends upon the context and situation!

If I'm roleplaying with a realistic gaggle of friends in Flourite and we're approached by a 10-foot tall overlord of the underworld, it would honestly be a disruption if they tried to attack us; they'd completely derail our roleplay. Our current scene couldn't continue in the face of their power-trip and it would, admittedly, ruin what we were doing.

Whereas, if an oddly-coloured hyena approached our own, we could still acknowledge and interact with them-- even if it doesn't exactly align with our interests. As long as they make certain their actions aren't too disruptive, and understand when others reasonably express their concerns, I see no problem.

However, of all places, I definitely wouldn't expect 100% realism in Bonfire! When I roleplay there, I do take into account that dinosaurs, dragons, fauns, mermen and anime characters can, and will, approach you. Even so, the horse roleplayers can be an odd bunch; I'd take everything they say with a grain of salt.

Offline magicfairy

• Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 55
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 12:02:31 am »
There is nothing wrong with dragon roleplays and etc. I am part of The Realms of Yugure and we roleplay realistically even though we are make-believe animals. This angers me, those people who make what they call 'unrealistic' characters for roleplay are ruining the roleplay for them. However if they bust into the roleplay that would be quite rude, but if they do it politely it would be ok. Like Crook said above I don't want some giant unrealistic character to come in and cause a large disruption. But I see where you are going Alizarin.
vanitas · he/they/it/fae

Offline Yognaught

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 11
  • ??
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 05:42:12 pm »
Nno, I feel like if an unrealistic character is just minding their business, and not really interacting with the group- I think it's fine. The group could always just ignore the person, like, is it that too much effort to pretend that they aren't there? If you're pretending there is prey and stuff, why not just pretend they aren't present???
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 05:44:47 pm by Mewtwo »

Find me in-game as: mushyroom

Offline Enoki

• Herba Chronographus
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 121
  • Who lives in a portabella under a tree?
    • FantasyFungus
    • EnokiTheDryphon
    • Enoki_G
    • View Profile
    • The Realms of Yugure
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 10:00:16 pm »
I think unrealistic characters add their own style to Feral Heart. I happen to play on my fantasy character, Enoki, all the time and rarely ever get on my realistic characters. I don't see why the horse groups would get mad at the unrealistic characters for being in Bonfire. I mean, that is the pinnacle of fantasy role play maps in Feral Heart. They should know by now if they are going to RP in Bonfire Island, they are going to see pegasi, dragons, neon colored animals, and etc.

It seems kinda humorous that a horse role play would get mad that someone is a dragon/any other fantasy creature, when they themselves seem to be using a bit of imagination to make a horse on a canine/feline body. (Haven't ever seen a feline bodied horse, just adding that in there in case there are.) Both require a bit of magical creativity to make so I don't see much of a difference between the two. This game was created for canine and feline species role plays and what people have done with the game is make it more universal.

If the character is not bothering you, then why complain? The map is for everyone, not just horses. If the mythical posts really bother the person, then why not just RP in Party and turn off Local? I've been using Party chat for my RPs for quite a while now and it works just like Group.

Of course, if the character insists on crashing the RP then, yes, I can see the cause of the irritation. Not all fantasy/unrealistic characters are trolls and most keep to themselves and their RP. Just because there is that one power playing fantasy creature "annihilating" everyone, doesn't mean all of the unrealistic characters are like that.

That being said, all members have equal rights as to what they are and where they role play. Don't be discouraged because of the fantasy downers who don't like to get creative now and then. You prance around and be that amazing unicorn that you are.

~Enoki
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 10:02:21 pm by Enoki »

Tmw you planned a ten minute nap but instead took a whole year.
☙Icon by dA JRProducts; Sig by PocketMutt❧

Offline Edolicious

• Luck o' the Irish
  • Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 108
  • Luck O' the Irish
    • Edolicious
    • Edolicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 11:21:09 pm »
No no no, not at all! In fact, when it comes to realistic role plays (don't get me wrong, I love em) there are boundaries, and everyone in the Rp ends up looking very similar to each other. That's not the case with all realistic RPs, though! However, having your very own sparkledog shows your uniqueness and style. It shows us what color schemes you like, which model you prefer etc etc. Unrealistic characters tend to be more exciting during RP too, in my opinion. Use neon hair! Make a green rabbit - dog with dark brown wings! It's really up to you! No one else should be able to control how YOU design your own PERSONAL character!
Sig by https://twitter.com/limesquares
Avatar by https://deviantart.com/atachi00
Always do the right thing, even if no one is watching.

wolfdog01

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2015, 03:15:07 am »
Although I am in Bonfire quiet a bit, usually as either Grog, my dragon, or Maxwell, I can say that I have seen a bit of this. I agree with the others. If the unrealistic and realistic chars are minding their own buisness then it is fine. Now if one asks to join the other and one says no because of their realisim. Understandable. I can see where the unrealistic people can also get more attention for being rare or interesting. But I do NOT think they should be rude about it. So do they ruin eachother? Naw, if they are nice at least.

(P.S. Lady, your unicorn is beautiful in game @.@)

Offline Misinterpreted

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2015, 01:55:43 am »
Nooo way. Even though I am in a multi-species mapped roleplay called Lothrinda and its filled with mythical beasts, unrealistic character do not kill the realism in roleplay. Even in books the dragons, gryphons, or some other mythical creature can interact with let's say a bird for example. Completely fine. It doesn't kill the realism at all. But like the others stated above about the situation, yeah. Not all unrealistic characters power play either. Some just think they are stronger than everyone else.

Offline WolfQueen

• Onion Queen
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 117
  • feralheart's malignant tumor
    • jengajangle
    • jenqatower
    • jengatower
    • jengatowerr
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2015, 05:03:36 am »
If the unrealistic character is bothering the realistic roleplay (or you politely do not want unrealistic characters in your roleplay), then yeah they are breaking the wall between "realistic" and "unrealistic". If the unrealistic character isn't bothering the realistic roleplay and just standing there minding their own business then the realistic characters need to put on their big kid pants and deal with it. This game is free-roam and has a customizable character creation. Anyone can create any character they want and no one should whine about it. You can only whine if someone is bothering or harassing you.

Like someone else mentioned, it's hypocritical that horses are starting to get their jimmies rustled about a mythical creature being near them when their horses are basically dogs with sock markings, or if the player is a mega-noob then siamese cat markings, being imagined as equines. Most horses that I have seen aren't even realistically colored or classified either. It's understandable that they don't want unrealistic characters in their group but saying "unrealistic characters ruin everything!!!! >:'C" is silly to say.