Author Topic: What Does a Username Tell You?  (Read 5961 times)

Offline Lady_Alizarin

• ✨ Is a Slytherin ✨
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 122
  • ~ Inactive on the forums
    • View Profile
What Does a Username Tell You?
« on: October 12, 2015, 03:08:21 am »
The other day I was listening in on a casual conversation. The conversation started with literacy, then got into usernames. One of the people in the convo stated something like, "You can always tell a person's age or literacy level by the username they have. Those who have clever or well-thought of usernames with proper punctuation and spelling (DiamondEye, Spirit of Silence, Lord of Nightfall, Waffle House) are more literate, mature, and serious about roleplaying. While usernames that are random letters, numbers, or cliche titles (Xxwolfgirl438xX, fnafFan90012, LilaDaWolf123, mmny210, 670flower, cRaYoLa11) are either young kids, trolls, unskilled roleplayers, noobs, or all of the above."
(Note: the usernames listed are made up, and just examples of what he/she was talking about)

To me, the username doesn't determine if a person is illiterate, literate, young, old, mature, immature, serious, trolly, and so on. I've seen people with "silly usernames" do some amazing roleplaying, and acting mature. Judging a player by their username is like judging someone based on their character.

The question is DOES IT MATTER? Does it really matter? Do you think a person's username will determine what kind of member they are in the FH community? Will it determine their literacy, age, maturity, roleplay style, etc?
Why or why not?
Inactive

Offline Bzuja

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 2
    • View Profile
Re: What Does a Username Tell You?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 03:15:57 am »
Really, What would tell a person more about another person:  A face?  A name? Skin color?  Dialect, typing skill? Or, dare I say; how that person contributes, acts, and treats other people?
You never know how, when, or why their username is that way.
Maybe they were fishing for ideas.  Finding a reference to something they thoroughly enjoy.
It's possibly complete gibberish.
It could be something they've carried in their online handle and has a very deep significance to them.
You can't really know as that's the nature of anonymity on the internet.
Though, I do thoroughly believe this is a topic worth exploring, but that is my short and to the point opinion.
And, as per usual, nobody is perfect. I should know.
I see the world and the world sees me; woe is me, see.

Offline WolfQueen

• Onion Queen
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 117
  • feralheart's malignant tumor
    • jengajangle
    • jenqatower
    • jengatower
    • jengatowerr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 05:07:02 am »
There are many holes in their claim.

It's kind of true that young players would make a username like "puppyluvr456" (I used to do it). However, that doesn't always mean the player is an immature newbie. Some people may be older members in-game and was younger back then. So a cliche username like the ones mentioned may be outdated, or not used anymore. I've seen plenty of good mature people with juvenile usernames.

For example, My username in-game is "WolfQueen". It is a cliche username, not something cool or borderline edgy, but I don't really use it anymore because it's from all the way back in 2011. I've changed a lot since then. I'm unable to change the username so I'm stuck with it.

In conclusion, no. Usernames don't determine someone's maturity.

Offline magicfairy

• Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 55
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 12:06:18 pm »
Ok, first of all.

1. This disturbed me so much considering I have a nearly stupid, cliche username and I'm literate.

2. It does not determine social skills.

3. They could've made the username a long time ago.

4. Some people with 'good' usernames don't often use capitals or punctuation.

5. Some people who are young can be very mature to the point their age is nearly impossible to predict on the Internet. (Trust me I know this..)

6. Although the information can be very important when it comes to socializing with them or roleplaying, a simple username cannot prove much.
vanitas · he/they/it/fae

Offline Jackkdaw

• The Fabulous
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 138
  • actual cannibal
    • http://jackkdaw.deviantart.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 01:51:21 pm »
While one's username can tell you something about the person, such as perhaps an interest of theirs, it doesn't necessarily show a person's age or maturity level, as mentioned above already.

Many older users around here joined when they were younger.
I do see lots of people making entirely new accounts (provided registration is open at the time of course ;3) as they mature, which is what I did.

Still, I have many friends in-game with what one would consider "juvenile" usernames, but are the most mature, literate people ever.

In short, I don't think a username determines a floof's literate ability or age per say.

Though I do think usernames are important, as they're basically your identity around the community.
In-Game as: Jackkdaw
On DeviantART as Jackkdaw
sig by me

Offline Jango_Fett

• Solid Snake
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 134
  • rotten kind of cute
    • euralore
    • EmpressWolf
    • littlemisscancer
    • parahyena
    • LM_Cancer
    • View Profile
    • Picarto.tv
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2015, 02:03:50 pm »
usernames tend to tell you about an interest the person has

that's really all i can think of that i do/notice but other than that

a username is a username

could be old could be new i don't know

i don't know nothing about mopeds
feral_cast.fhm
have a question? just ask - Rubricae#6972

Offline hugrf2

• Purple Derple
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 120
  • wrow
    • hugrf
    • channel/UChLphw5s3-hS8EFAgnNv6FQ
    • hugrf
    • hugrf
    • Ain't nobody got time fo' dat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2015, 03:18:38 pm »
A username can tell things about the person, even a part of their personality that might simply indicate they like to make jokes and stuff. Or it could tell they're creative, too, but again these things can be very hard to tell since we don't know everything about this name this person uses. I guess it can be called a "second identity", I mean.

I'm not hear to teach about what I think I know about psychology so I'll get to the point. No, I don't think that really matters. It may show a little bit of who they are or who they used to be in some ways, and I can see why people might assume that it effects maturity. But that's not it. It's not maturity. It's not anything, it's just who they are. A username doesn't show much about that.

It's just a username, really.

(Sorry if I don't make sense... D}:)

Offline Yognaught

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 11
  • ??
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2015, 04:44:18 pm »
id often determine how long someone has been on fh by their username; most of the time (excuse me if im wrong) you're first FH username is something kinda silly like wolfboy101 or w/e and as you start to determine what's accepted and not accepted the community, and when people reach that 'literate' stage, their usernames begin to get more advanced.

take for example my old-old-old-old user was 'lemons4ever' now, that sounds like a pretty dumb name (atleast to me), but as i delevoped on FH, my usernames began to get more 'wordy'
like: Yognaught
& SubtleSkeleton

now, that is not to say that all people with usernames such as mine or 'wolfboy101' are young, or iliterate or old or mature; since i have encountered many who have username like that, but are extremely literate!

i try myself, to not judge anybody but there is that once-off where im like "hmm these people sound kinda young bc of their user"

[apologizes if this doesnt make sense, im not rlly good @ explaining lol]

Find me in-game as: mushyroom

Offline shayy

• Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 73
  • World Class Shawty
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2015, 04:55:09 pm »
NO, i don't think someones username matters at ALL. Also, if you do plan on or do judge people by their usernames then you should also remember that they made their account when they were younger and probably more immature than they are now, so just get to know them before you decide whether or not they are 'literate etc.."
pm for free art i need practice

Offline Delija

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 24
  • Life is looking up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2015, 02:13:32 am »
I agree with a lot of other people here, it doesn't really decide a persons maturity, just lets other people know what they are interested in so that people can strike up a conversation with them.
Signature by Adelish