Author Topic: Presets on the Server?  (Read 72257 times)

Severa

Re: Presets on the Server?
« Reply #80 on: January 11, 2011, 03:34:17 am »
I have a suggestion for paying for presets:
Has Kovu or any other moderators heard of PayNearMe slips??? You could use those for people to pay for the game, in the US at least. All I know about them is that they are a printable sheet used for games that you can take to any 7-Eleven store and the cashier scans the paper, and asks for the exact amount of money specified on the paper. I just thought it might be a good idea because my parents don't like using credit cards, especially for paying for game extras.

Sorry if that is confusing, it's kind of hard to explain, but if a moderator is interested in this suggestion I can PM them explaining in greater detail.

Also I have a question: If someone pays to have their preset on the server, is the payment a one time thing or do they have to pay every month or something?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 03:39:14 am by Severa »

choosen

« Reply #81 on: January 11, 2011, 03:35:46 am »
I dont mind paying for persenal preset look. If i like the game.

What happens if i pay for 4 weeks and servers are down for 2 weeks. Will time still count or will it just count when servers ar up?

Superfeesh

« Reply #82 on: January 11, 2011, 05:55:54 am »
i was just poking around (nice site C:), and saw this thread, and well, I want to make a suggestion that could solve the preset problems of taking up server space, and users being able to see other's presets.

Since FH uses ogre, you could use Flash in conjunction with Hikari library to render the textures onto each character. With this method, you can have the user upload their textures onto some image hosting site or somewhere on the internet, and feed the image URLs into the game, where the user's client, on request, will download the textures from the urls provided. It's the method I use for my own game. That way, you don't have presets eating away at server space, and presets are visible to everyone. I have code and an example (again, my game xD) that shows that this method actually works. c: I don't know if using Flash is exactly uhh... memory efficient, but it might be worth a shot.

I hope my explanation wasn't too confusing :'D
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 05:59:50 am by superfeesh »

weylin

« Reply #83 on: January 11, 2011, 06:17:51 am »
Oh hello Super XD

I just suggested that in the last page, mentioning you  ;D

I think it would be the best way to manage it for sure.

Staceybob

« Reply #84 on: January 11, 2011, 09:18:31 am »
This post really seems to be giving the wrong impression.

You havent go to pay to play. You can send presets for FREE to your friends or host them on a site and post in a forum for everyone to download OR you can pay a fee to have everyone automatically get it.

Just pass them around for free!

Stacey xxx

TealSkeletore

« Reply #85 on: January 11, 2011, 10:56:54 am »
^ Exactly Stacey, I wish people would learn how to read.

Supah - That's really useful, maybe Kov will look into it.

Offline Tigg

• Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
  • Your right hand on 3D-Meshes
    • t-i-g-g
    • channel/UCKuFJTwBJf94Tq07oVBNMrA
    • TiggDarkfury
    • View Profile
    • Isla Thanatos Gameserver
« Reply #86 on: January 11, 2011, 11:04:06 am »
i was just poking around (nice site C:), and saw this thread, and well, I want to make a suggestion that could solve the preset problems of taking up server space, and users being able to see other's presets.

Since FH uses ogre, you could use Flash in conjunction with Hikari library to render the textures onto each character. With this method, you can have the user upload their textures onto some image hosting site or somewhere on the internet, and feed the image URLs into the game, where the user's client, on request, will download the textures from the urls provided. It's the method I use for my own game. That way, you don't have presets eating away at server space, and presets are visible to everyone. I have code and an example (again, my game xD) that shows that this method actually works. c: I don't know if using Flash is exactly uhh... memory efficient, but it might be worth a shot.

I hope my explanation wasn't too confusing :'D

But those Pictures then are in the Folders of Cache, means everyone could theoretically get the Textures and use them as own. Plus you cant use own Material Files which would mean no Transparent Textures, no Moving Textures and so on :/ And that also means one Texture is shown on both sides on the Preset, so the character cant have a different Marking on the right site of the Body than on the left. This is what Kov wants to avoid, to smite Users possibilities in being creative.

And i dun want to Imagine what the Internet-Connection says when the Screeen is full of Presets where the Comp first needs to download them. Not everyones Computer is strong or has a fast connection o____o

12dollars

« Reply #87 on: January 11, 2011, 11:53:35 am »
What I'm worried about is people stealing my preset designs, and I'm sure thats crossed some other peoples minds... would mods be on the lookout to make sure people aren't copying them?

Edit: I read one of the previous comments about an update where the preset is created into one file, that would be most excellent. Lots of people work hard on their presets and it would be a shame if people went around claiming them as their own.
Is there any more news on this update?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 12:07:35 pm by Swifty »

rosestar

« Reply #88 on: January 11, 2011, 12:12:58 pm »
Id gladly pay, if i knew it was helping the server :) wish i could pay by mobile lol ^^

12dollars

« Reply #89 on: January 11, 2011, 12:32:24 pm »
Mobile would be a real easy way for paying for presets O_O
And I'm sure younger members who don't have a PayPal would be able to use that too. The question is however, how can you pay with mobile XD