Author Topic: How did you come up with your characters name?  (Read 9721 times)

Offline Enoki

• Herba Chronographus
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 121
  • Who lives in a portabella under a tree?
    • FantasyFungus
    • EnokiTheDryphon
    • Enoki_G
    • View Profile
    • The Realms of Yugure
Re: How did you come up with your characters name?
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2016, 05:08:42 pm »
I stole mine off a hamster. o3o Enoki sounded interesting, so I googled it to find out 'tis a Japanese mushroom. So... yeah, hope that hamster doesn't mind I named something after 'em.

Tmw you planned a ten minute nap but instead took a whole year.
☙Icon by dA JRProducts; Sig by PocketMutt❧

Offline Mist358

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2016, 07:50:57 pm »
I named my first char Aris, after main character from a Wattpad story. Another name, Chiva (my TLK OC) just somehow came on my mind. Lots of names are from Swahili. Some are named after the maps they are in (Africa, Rainforest), these I use only for taking screenshots. And now I often use words from Mando'a (Star Wars language) as for Iviin (wolf, name means "fast ") and Kebii (shortened from Kebii'tra which means "blue sky")

↑click↑
Suodimi is a brand new multispecies animal roleplay where you can play as all species of birds and bats, and all species of South American cats.

Offline Aclediptus

• Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 48
  • Where are the Almond Doughnuts
    • aclediptus
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2016, 02:08:47 pm »
I can actually generate names spontaneously, and they're pretty spiffy. I've not have a hard time figuring out a name for my characters. But  here are my main FH character names and their origins:

Telluris: I named him after the Latin name for earth (Masculine).
Telly: Derived from Telluris.
Jorhaal: No idea, I was thinking up a name that was almost northern European. Although the Sanskrit word 'Jora' Seems to reflect some of her aspects quite well, it was never thought of.
Ferro: Named after Ferrum, Latin for Iron (Neutral). Altered it a little because I don't want to name her Ferra/Feara (a name taken by my friend's character).
Leknu: Originally Lignus, which is also another Latin word for timber (Masculine), altered it a little to be less obvious.
Iska/Iskandre: Probably from Iskandar, which is Alexander the Great's given name in Eastern countries. Slightly altered.
Aclediptus: Spontaneous, I wanted to think up of something Latin (like the rest of my characters) And this came to me.

Currently retired floof

Find me on discord: Aclediptus#7160

Offline Chillaaja

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
  • Rapscallion
    • Skogskisse
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2016, 09:50:21 am »
Soot, who I suppose is my "main", is black and gray. Twig likes to carry a twig in her mouth. Ain't I creative? ... To be fair, Twig chose her own name storywise and she's hardly the most imaginative one around. I'm fond of simple and descriptive names.
Where did I leave my pencil?

Offline Kynvuu

• #Grimstagram
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 212
  • I'm not saying that it was aliens but...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2016, 02:27:04 pm »
I'm not as creative when it comes to making up cool names, so my story of how I came up with Kynvuu is a little boring. xD But basically I had two characters I really liked, one named Kyn (Was going to go with Kin, as in kinship, but the Y just looked cooler xD) and the other Vuu (I thought it was a cool abbreviation for the name "Voodoo"). I really like these characters names but not so much their design. So basically I decided to smush the two names together and create one character with a combination of their designs + backstory and I guess that's where Kynvuu came from.
On a temporary leave. Please contact other members of staff if you need assistance.

Offline Arkham_Scout

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 33
  • Yes, I am back
    • View Profile
    • my toyhou.se
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2016, 02:56:18 pm »
I randomly create mine. But mostly, I find a way for the name to fit. But honestly, I just think of a random name and make the character.

mostly I go to behindthename.com to get my names
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 01:50:52 pm by Silverdash »

Offline Kerriki

• Band Geek
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 371
  • Who needs furniture when you have the floor?
    • Kikiorylandia
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2016, 05:35:25 pm »
Kiki: Wanted my fursona to have a "nickname" version of my username lol (plus, it is a cute name)
Zalikah: It was a name of one of my horses on Howrse
Grape: Liked the sound of it, plus it's rarely used
Jhotarubi: Saw someone on WolfQuest with this name, I like it and just changed the spelling a bit
Ravioli: Because raviolis are greattttt
Summitwish: I like the sound of the words "summit" and "wishes" so I just slapped them together
Vorrati: I remember hearing about a show called "Legend of Korra" (or something like that). I liked the name "Korra", but I thought it sounded cooler with a "V", so then it became "Vorra". At that point I thought the name was too short so I just added a "ti" at the end to make "Vorrati"
Farewell everyone<3

Offline deepsighs

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
  • o rly
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2016, 10:46:49 pm »

Offline Nak3dAng3l

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2016, 02:21:20 am »
i generally either take them from spur-of-the-moment thoughts in my head which sound regal or funny or flighty. i always think of my character's personality before making a name for it gives people a general view of my character's personality without poking in their bio.

for example, if a character is down to earth and a family lover i'll name him/her bruno (i tend to go with gender neutral names)
but, if the character is regal and defined i shall name him/her valdeen/valdeena
however, if the character has a roughened but strong-headed personality i shall name them rasputin.

if i cannot think of one out of my head, i will think about their personality and a word that goes with it. i shall then look it up in a different language; and believe me, there is almost always a name that fits them in one of the languages.

Offline Hooli

• Used Napkin
  • Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 67
  • uwu
    • hooiigans
    • xmanicz
    • k_tlyn99
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2016, 05:42:03 am »
For my RP character names, I usually use fantasynamegenerators.com because I'm totally original. B')

For my fursona, though, Hooli was named because of my username, hooligans.. so again, totally original. : D

in-game: hooli