Author Topic: Character Stealing  (Read 6554 times)

Offline hysteriaa

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 35
  • "Life is too precious, do not destroy it" -MTeresa
    • View Profile
    • Muse.mu
Character Stealing
« on: September 08, 2012, 01:51:36 am »
This subject makes me quite mixed. But when it is obvious it makes me quite angry, I don't see why it shouldn't.

Sadly, as Tigg has stated before "You can not have a copyright on an FH Character unless its a Preset. You cant copyright a FH Characters Name too."
So this of course means other people cannot get into trouble for 'stealing' a character. But you can still report it to a modd, especially and even ONLY if you have screenshot evidence.

In some cases it could be a mistake. There are thousands of characters made by players and many popular color combinations and markings that people have. So in this case, you have to admit that it could just be a mistake. The same goes for character names. Like of course the most popular ones "Shadow", "Mist", "Angel", ect.

But when it is completely obvious, when she stole EVERY single detail in your or someone elses character, it's CHARACTER STEALING. xD.

For example, I make videos of wolves called 'Asacrecians'. They are getting quite popular now (even though they are suppose to be a secret bloodline) and people are starting to know they're names and appearances. Well, they have been around long before feralheart too.

I don't take credit for them, after all they aren't mine. And I don't want to be seen or even sneak around character stealing. Don't want to be an uncreative, lazy jerk. So, here's my example of obvious and enraging character stealing:

Secrecy is a popular wolf who has been around before feralheart. The character was made on feralheart whatever time after feralheart was created, I have no idea when. Not my character of course, and not yours either.
I came across a video named "Material girl" by the channel "Joey lane" on youtube. Her channel can be found here:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSduhPkyOEkW-l8mCkHqx7g
Cute video, made in my map, just about to comment on it when I see the exact COPY of the character 'Secrecy'. When I say exact copy I really mean it... need a comparison?:

ORIGINAL

COPIED

For more comparison, please watch my video and then her's:

MINE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70NBIxKZbZ8&feature=channel&list=UL

HERS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vqw6unrOi_4

For detailed comparison, they both have the same:
1. Same exact tail, body, and face markings.
2. Also, the same colors for EVERY marking.
3. Tiny details like dark green pupils, lime green line under the eyes and black above the eyes.
4. Same body, underfur, and tail colors.
5. Same exact tuffs (side mane, backmane, elbow tuffs).
6. Same exact mane color.
7. Same exact body structure. Length longer than height and width, as well as the long size of the muzzle.
Any other details I'm missing? I think I covered every single one... hmmm... xD

Might I also add that I commented about the exact details in the characters and that she did infact copy every single detail, and she immediately blocked me and made a comment pretending I didn't comment on the video:

"so first off i made some mistakes in this video i did not give proper credit to all the actors/actresses so here they are,:
Breeze- Summer Rose
Hail- Lilly Flower
The Crying Wolf
moon- carnation14
and number two i did not star in this movie my account is Silent Shadows feel free to friend meh or to request a new video! And number 3 some people are saying Hail (Lilly Flower's char) looks like? secercy I will ask lilly flower about that and i do admit they are close so i will talk to her bout that"

Close? Your friend? You admit they are close? Then why did you delete my comment and block me?

Ugh.... it's just sad that creations must be stolen and belittled like this :/

So, what are your thoughts on character stealing? And has anyone ever stolen or have a similar character or name as yours?

« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 01:59:37 am by Muser »

CloudFish

Re: Character Stealing
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 03:08:56 am »
Well as it goes, pretty much all the content on feral heart could be considered "stolen", even in the main game itself. there's nothing really original as far as content goes. we often have users "stealing" markings, presets, art, all of that.

however, like you mentioned, the characters themselves, along with the default markings can not be claimed in any way. there are only so many combinations you can make. and when your character is designed in a somewhat popular manner with somewhat popular markings and colours, there's not much you can do about it.

in the case of character stealing and it being punishable. i'm satisfied it's not. the reason being for this is; like i've already stated really. there's just so much stolen and copyrighted content on this game and site as is that someone copying your character isn't really that big a of a deal.

i can understand your frustrations, but when it comes down to it, there's not much to be done. instead feel honored they liked your design so much they felt it cool enough to make their own. who knows, might not even have been intentional, though in your case you seem to have proof that the comments were deleted so that she knew she was in the wrong.

Offline Haruki

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 24
  • "Better to be carried by six than tried by twelve"
    • View Profile
    • CatalinaPacks
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 03:36:36 am »
Quite honestly, I say let them. The copy will always be second to the original. If they are specifically copying you, it is likely they are just trying to spite you. The copy will never be played correctly nor with the right personality. If you care about the character, you will lose interest far later than the copycat. Let them try and copy, they will always be second class and I invite anyone to copy my characters. It only earns you fame.

Offline hysteriaa

• Dedicated Supporter
    • View Profile
    • Muse.mu
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 03:56:26 am »
These are some good points. Although what makes me angry is that these aren't my characters, and I know for sure if anyone knew a bunch of people were copying them (without giving them credit) then they would be just as mad as me. On my video someone even commented that they've seen people copy the bios and poems that these people have made, is it in this case plagiarism? Because the poems are not copyrighted of course, but it is still someones creation/work in writing.

EDIT:
Oh and what you said about fame, tons of people do dedicate copies of the avatars to these characters. But of course, they give them credit. Even myself, I dedicate videos to them. But I give them the credit for their creations.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 03:58:32 am by Muser »

Offline Tessel.

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 54
  • and this time, we're gonna get funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 11:35:26 pm »
Like Haruki said, the copy will always be second to the original. But still, I see so much resembalence in those two characters.  Its like that othe person is trying to be you.

Also, is that map just for you and a pack, or is it for everyone? Because I would love to download it :3

Siggy and avi by me. PM me if you need anything, friends.

teddybuddy

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 12:06:54 am »
hey does anybody know ChaosPanda?

teddybuddy

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 12:09:46 am »
I HATE having my charries stolen especially my main charries like for example if you've seen me "Tesla br beta" then you might have been mistaken because: (1) I've been offline (2) people don't like me so they make my charrie and make a bad rep for me (3) people can be jerks

Offline Okami-Shiranui

• Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 49
  • "You want to change it, don't you?"
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 12:56:10 am »
That does seem suspicious, but as far as we know, it could still be unintentional. By the way, your video is way better than her's.

Offline marzishadow

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 6
  • The Tumble Mouse
    • View Profile
    • Marzi's DeviantArt
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 12:56:36 am »
I'd say more but Cloud already said it. Anyway, I'm sorry about this, similar things happened to me back in IT.
? Proud Scorpio  ?

Marzi, The Tumble Mouse

Offline hysteriaa

• Dedicated Supporter
    • View Profile
    • Muse.mu
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2012, 04:33:33 am »
Like Haruki said, the copy will always be second to the original. But still, I see so much resembalence in those two characters.  Its like that othe person is trying to be you.

Also, is that map just for you and a pack, or is it for everyone? Because I would love to download it :3
Yes that is a public map, you can find it on the maps section. It's called "Music Concert Map"