Author Topic: Getting My Feels Out Here: 'Literates'  (Read 4939 times)

Offline hugrf2

• Purple Derple
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 120
  • wrow
    • hugrf
    • channel/UChLphw5s3-hS8EFAgnNv6FQ
    • hugrf
    • hugrf
    • Ain't nobody got time fo' dat
    • View Profile
Getting My Feels Out Here: 'Literates'
« on: June 17, 2014, 11:05:15 am »
I'm sorry if this thread seems a bit sloppy, but I just want to get this out here... Sure, there might've been a few threads about this, otherwise feel free to lock this, moderators, if you feel the need to.

Now first; We're all seen those topics around the forum about literates and illiterates around FeralHeart, right? Doesn't it just disturb you?

You literally have no idea how much it disturbs me. Now on to the rant...

Do you 'literates' out there ever think, "Maybe they don't want to put so much effort into roleplaying so they can actually have FUN?!" Do you ever think "Maybe they just don't want to be so-called 'literate'?" No? Well, then do it. Because YOU, on the other hand, don't even know what 'illiterate' means! Need the definition? 'Ere you go, then.

"Full Definition of ILLITERATE 1 : having little or no education; especially : unable to read or write."

Well, doesn't that sound reasonable, hmm? But do you ever realize people might even become DEPRESSED when they want to roleplay, too, to escape reality and all you do is REJECT them for their skills? I mean come on, why does such a little thing disturb you? Sure, you can't see them as some big, fancy post that they whipped up like a book, but why does that really matter? Okay, sure, it's not always as fun and slightly stressful, but we can't get what we all want, can we? Plus, it's not all the time...

The thing I'm mostly angry about is that no one tends to roleplay with a friend of mine, who'd be considered illiterate because he simply puts no true effort in his posts because it feels like writing and essay, he says. And honestly, yes, it can be pretty awkward sometimes when you type up a big post and in response you get this small one, but can you just ignore it; It's not completely impossible, otherwise, you must have some serious anger issues.

Roleplay is something meant to escape reality and have fun with your friends, not a bunch of stressful judgmental crap to go through to fit in! This isn't the point of roleplay! Why is everyone turning against eachother over just a stupid thing that simply doesn't fit their style?!

Are 'illiterates' suddenly the outcasts of humanity now on the Internet?! "Ew, illiterate." I swear, if I gained a penny for every time I heard that I'd be rich by now - This is just too infuriating. And now people judging someone's literacy with their CHARACTERS?! Don't get me started. That's just... dumb. I'm sorry, it really is. Not trying to make labels here myself...

Now, before I flop over on my keyboard in this sudden rant because of how calm I usually am now that I'm tired, I think I'm just going to sum it up here.

Illiterates are not robots. They are living, breathing, human beings.

*Cough* I might've not made sense with everything here, but it's true, people can be saddened when no one wants to roleplay with them. Isn't fun to roleplay alone, no?

...Now just casually walk away, scarred for life by my derpy rant... Yeeeaahhhh...

EDIT: Please feel free to point out anything I may have said wrong, as I may have tried to add some humor in the wrong way here when I was tired. In no way am I addressing the fact "You must roleplay with illiterates" or "Illiterates must be allowed in all groups" (But sometimes they probably should be equal, so long as they don't powerplay if you know what I mean? <.<). I am simply saying that disrespect for 'illiterates' is really pointless, to be honest as my opinion, and I think people forget that they could be going through some real crap in real life.

Not good/pleasant enough? Well sorry, but I'm only twelve, you can't expect me to know everything on speech. I'm really sorry if I seemed bashful here, too, and as I stated several times moderators are free to lock this if it feels against the rules exactly. But in no way was I trying to bash on everyone; Mainly, I was trying to express my feelings out here so I don't bottle it up completely.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 03:09:02 am by Hugrf »

Offline unnbrellas

• Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 68
  • "fight me" i scream from under my bed
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant Art
Re: Getting My Feels Out Here: 'Literates'
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 12:13:47 pm »
I pretty much agree, and don't have much to add. I've always hated the terms, and refuse to use them. I say experienced or beginner, and it works nicely.

Formerly MochaCocoa; Find me ingame as ErikaFishhy!
Signature by ???????????�??

Offline shayy

• Floof-O-Meter: 73
  • World Class Shawty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 01:02:41 pm »
I agree with some of the things you put out there, yet I feel you are taking it too personally. Yes, some groups will only accept the "high and mighty" role players. And usually they are not even too great,  and just use wolf speak. But also when people open "illiterate" groups, it's does not mean that it is only for the people who are not too great at rping, it is for a less pressuring dramatic expirience.
And yes, I agree that it surprises me that some characters are declined their invitation because they don't "fit the part", yet that is part of being in a literate an realistic group.
Furthermore, I disagree with you opinion on that (what I feel like you are trying to express) that no type of role play group is better or worse than the other. They are separate ideas that are too different to compare.
Please quote me if you agree.
Note: not trying to sound rude or anything with what I have put out there, just expressing my ideas and thoughts on yours :)
~Shay
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 01:04:39 pm by S-H-A-Y »
pm for free art i need practice

Offline xXQueenXx

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 24
  • Sippin tea
    • https://www.youtube.com/channel/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 01:45:15 pm »
Eh...

I'm not going to say that I don't agree with you, because I honestly do but...
Some people (not necessarily me) prefer to have their rps at a certain level of realistic-ness.  If that makes sense?  I mean I'm not trying so sound mean here or anything ;-; but whenever I host an 'advanced' rp (meaning there's quite a long or complicated background to it) and someone who doesn't look entirely realistic asks to join, I usually tend to ask for a rp sample.  
Don't judge meh.. xc

BUT THEN...

They'll normally say something like "Oh.. ok nvm then." Or something along those lines.  This has honestly happened to me so many times and it just proves that they can't/don't want to rp at all.  I'm not judging them or anything but if they want to have fun they shouldn't join a realistic, literate rp to begin with.  Rps are there to RP in, not to run around like a nyan cat. >:c

Offline hugrf2

• Purple Derple
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 120
  • wrow
    • hugrf
    • channel/UChLphw5s3-hS8EFAgnNv6FQ
    • hugrf
    • hugrf
    • Ain't nobody got time fo' dat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 02:04:28 pm »
I agree with some of the things you put out there, yet I feel you are taking it too personally. Yes, some groups will only accept the "high and mighty" role players. And usually they are not even too great,  and just use wolf speak. But also when people open "illiterate" groups, it's does not mean that it is only for the people who are not too great at rping, it is for a less pressuring dramatic expirience.
And yes, I agree that it surprises me that some characters are declined their invitation because they don't "fit the part", yet that is part of being in a literate an realistic group.
Furthermore, I disagree with you opinion on that (what I feel like you are trying to express) that no type of role play group is better or worse than the other. They are separate ideas that are too different to compare.
Note: not trying to sound rude or anything with what I have put out there, just expressing my ideas and thoughts on yours :)
~Shay

I'm either really tired or you didn't make sense, sorry if I sound rude. x'D I'm not saying literate roleplayers or anything are wrong or anything, I'm just pointing out that sometimes people shouldn't think of themselves as all high and mighty because they might hurt others around them a bit too much.

Also, personally? I'm just offended that people are being so rude sometimes to my friend here, and other players...? ouo

Eh...

Some people (not necessarily me) prefer to have their rps at a certain level of realistic-ness.  If that makes sense?  I mean I'm not trying so sound mean here or anything ;-; but whenever I host an 'advanced' rp (meaning there's quite a long or complicated background to it) and someone who doesn't look entirely realistic asks to join, I usually tend to ask for a rp sample. 
Don't judge meh.. xc

BUT THEN...

They'll normally say something like "Oh.. ok nvm then." Or something along those lines.  This has honestly happened to me so many times and it just proves that they can't/don't want to rp at all.  I'm not judging them or anything but if they want to have fun they shouldn't join a realistic, literate rp to begin with.  Rps are there to RP in, not to run around like a nyan cat. >:c

I again, never said something was wrong with realism in roleplays? Yeah, 'literacy' can depend on stuff such as that, but... Let me clear some stuff up.

True, people can state labels on roleplays specifically, but I mean in general; Like, let's say someone is roleplaying in Local and would be considered an 'illiterate'. They want to roleplay with a 'literate' here, but can't because they get called down on it, so to speak. (Whoa huge terms I've never heard of) I mean, if that made sense.

Thanks for your opinions guys, though. I didn't get any sleep last night, so expect my brainless replies.

Offline shayy

• Floof-O-Meter: 73
  • World Class Shawty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 02:29:38 pm »
~Shay

I'm either really tired or you didn't make sense, sorry if I sound rude. x'D I'm not saying literate roleplayers or anything are wrong or anything, I'm just pointing out that sometimes people shouldn't think of themselves as all high and mighty because they might hurt others around them a bit too much.

Also, personally? I'm just offended that people are being so rude sometimes to my friend here, and other players...? ouo

Eh...

Some people (not necessarily me) prefer to have their rps at a certain level of realistic-ness.  If that makes sense?  I mean I'm not trying so sound mean here or anything ;-; but whenever I host an 'advanced' rp (meaning there's quite a long or complicated background to it) and someone who doesn't look entirely realistic asks to join, I usually tend to ask for a rp sample. 
Don't judge meh.. xc

BUT THEN...

They'll normally say something like "Oh.. ok nvm then." Or something along those lines.  This has honestly happened to me so many times and it just proves that they can't/don't want to rp at all.  I'm not judging them or anything but if they want to have fun they shouldn't join a realistic, literate rp to begin with.  Rps are there to RP in, not to run around like a nyan cat. >:c

I again, never said something was wrong with realism in roleplays? Yeah, 'literacy' can depend on stuff such as that, but... Let me clear some stuff up.

True, people can state labels on roleplays specifically, but I mean in general; Like, let's say someone is roleplaying in Local and would be considered an 'illiterate'. They want to roleplay with a 'literate' here, but can't because they get called down on it, so to speak. (Whoa huge terms I've never heard of) I mean, if that made sense.

Thanks for your opinions guys, though. I didn't get any sleep last night, so expect my brainless replies.
XD, I read my post over and yes, it does not make much sense. And what I meant was that (I don't like) when people in literate an realistic act all high and mighty. :) sorry to heat that some were being rude to you/friends.
pm for free art i need practice

Offline Vespian

• An Unsightly Beast
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 242
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2014, 02:31:53 pm »
Pardon if I may sound blunt in my response, Ms. Hugrf. The fact that I haven't been feelin' too well as of late mayhaps have ticked my nerves a bit raw.

Let me put this as simply as I can while I address a few statements and provide my own opinion.

I found this offensive. Actually, I see this as bashin'. Try to calm down ma'dam. Refer to what Ms. Shay has stated.
I agree with some of the things you put out there, yet I feel you are taking it too personally.
I understand yer frustration. I really do. It agitates me as well whenever I see someone immediately prejudicin' another simply for their role-play preference or style. Whether it be novice, adept, even wolfspeak. If they're enjoyin' themselves while they're role-playin', that's all that really matters to me. I feel like this rant though is steppin' a bit over the borderline and actually is hypocritical in a few sentences.

This is the wrong path to saunter down on if what ye' really seek is equality between the members. I advise re-readin' all that ye' just posted. Ye' want equality? Don't let yer hatred fester and bend ye' to commit such actions, ma'am. Don't let yer temper rule ye'.

Every member prefers a differiency of styles when role-playin'. It's nothin' to show dislike upon no matter what the reason may be as long as the one(s) role-playin' are havin' fun and playin' fair. So what if they don't feel comfortable role-playin' around a few selected members? I'm like that. If neither party is doin' anythin', then where's the fire? If yer friend is bein' mistreated, tell 'em to gather screenshots and report it to the staff but if yer friend is just unable to find members to role-play with then perhaps they should look around. There's a wide variety of role-players out there to intermingle with. It's very unnecessary to hate on someone just for their own preferences yet if they are actually harrassin' yer friend, dependin' on the severity, that may be a different matter. This goes for any member.

Yet, the simple fact is:
The way ye' worded this rant was very uncalled for.

I bid ye' and yer friend luck, ma'am. If, at the very least, yer friend is lucky enough to know someone who is lookin' after 'em and who cares.

Feel free, anyone who reads this, to correct me if I've made a flaw with anythin' or if I've misread. I know most likely this post was all scrambled up. I apologize for that and if I may have sounded a bit brash. I'll probably add onto this or edit this when I'm not feelin' like my insides are implodin'.
gone

Offline Jango_Fett

• Solid Snake
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 134
  • rotten kind of cute
    • euralore
    • EmpressWolf
    • littlemisscancer
    • parahyena
    • LM_Cancer
    • View Profile
    • Picarto.tv
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2014, 03:28:47 pm »
I.... Actually, don't have anything to add on there.

You summed it up quite nicely Hugrf.

i don't know nothing about mopeds
feral_cast.fhm
have a question? just ask - Rubricae#6972

wolfdog01

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2014, 03:35:31 pm »
I have to agree with Vespian a bit, that was kinda harsh and it sounds like labeling if I read it right. I know that now the usual thing is that literates are judegmental, bossy, and rude just because a few people have made it that way and I've seen it first hand. Now yes, once or twice when a few people RP and they either use wolfspeak or they Capitalize Every First Letter In A Word, it does bug me.....a lot. But I'm good about holding it back. But now that I've read this I feel like I've been bashed for writing in paragraphs when I RP and that I'm too proper to RP with others, even though I am more than happy to adjust to almost any style.
It just feels like I've been labeled as a bad person is all. Not trying to sound rude though ^^; it just kinda hurt. And I know not all 'literates' are like this.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 03:37:16 pm by ~Thyme~ »

Offline Seijun

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2014, 03:52:02 pm »
I would agree with this if you could just calm down a little.