Author Topic: Are HD presets possible?  (Read 1540 times)

Offline FlyingGrass

• ~🛠 The avant-garde doctor of mechanical beings. 🔧 🔬
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 121
    • FlyingGrass
    • channel/UCA7RfqQ1KLl4s8JhxIXNs_Q
    • View Profile
    • Mechanicafeles Discord link
Are HD presets possible?
« on: September 15, 2017, 12:44:16 pm »
Is it possible to make an HD preset? One that doesn't look as pixel-y?

Paint.net is the paint program I use, it isn't good at making photos HD via any way other than increasing the size of the photo.

My presets.

Good things take time, so I'll take an eternity and create something so good that the human brain can't handle the sheer goodness of it.

Offline G4RG0YLE

• Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 170
    • View Profile
Re: Are HD presets possible?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 12:59:35 pm »
I'd try downloading other softwares, such as GIMP, Paint Tool SAI, MediBang, or Krita. They're probably going to give you better quality results than the Pant programme you use.

© short ' cakes on Discord ♡

Offline FlyingGrass

• Elder Grey Pelt
    • FlyingGrass
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 01:06:23 pm »
I'd try downloading other softwares, such as GIMP, Paint Tool SAI, MediBang, or Krita. They're probably going to give you better quality results than the Pant programme you use.
I'll try GIMP and Paint Tool SAI as those are the other two I have.

My presets.

Good things take time, so I'll take an eternity and create something so good that the human brain can't handle the sheer goodness of it.

Offline FlyingGrass

• Elder Grey Pelt
    • FlyingGrass
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 01:19:06 pm »
I opened the same image with GIMP and Paint Tool SAI, yet the image was still as pixel-y as before.

I tried scaling the image, I saw the X Resolution and Y Resolution, nothing happened when I increased both resolutions.

My presets.

Offline Vilivikhorith

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 8
  • \n\n\n\n
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 01:37:36 pm »
Unfortunately when you scale an image down, you lose information, so simply scaling an image up will increase the pixelation. You might be able to hide it with a gaussian blur + sharpen filtre though (and a lot of tweaking). If you want true HD textures, you should make your source material at a higher resolution, i.e. 4096x4096 pixels and scale down if you get performance issues.

Offline FlyingGrass

• Elder Grey Pelt
    • FlyingGrass
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2017, 04:04:04 pm »
Unfortunately when you scale an image down, you lose information, so simply scaling an image up will increase the pixelation. You might be able to hide it with a gaussian blur + sharpen filtre though (and a lot of tweaking). If you want true HD textures, you should make your source material at a higher resolution, i.e. 4096x4096 pixels and scale down if you get performance issues.
I tried resizing an HD image to the size of a preset image, but it didn't affect how pixel-y the preset image was.

My presets.

Offline Morgra

• I don't like sand...
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 347
  • Ever been killed by a spider? I was
    • DinksterDaily
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2017, 04:09:19 pm »
I tried resizing an HD image to the size of a preset image, but it didn't affect how pixel-y the preset image was.

With presets, you can use other sizes other than 512 x 512. So rather than scaling down the HD image to a resolution of 512 x 512 you can leave it at the HD resolution.

Oftentimes, people will make their presets 1024 x 1024 which is twice the resolution of the standard size and it does produce a less pixelated version of the preset.
Profile pic by Edolicious

People don't think the universe be like it is, but it do.

Offline FlyingGrass

• Elder Grey Pelt
    • FlyingGrass
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2017, 05:11:13 pm »

With presets, you can use other sizes other than 512 x 512. So rather than scaling down the HD image to a resolution of 512 x 512 you can leave it at the HD resolution.

Oftentimes, people will make their presets 1024 x 1024 which is twice the resolution of the standard size and it does produce a less pixelated version of the preset.
I tried resizing the preset image to 1024x1024, and it works! Thank you!

This can be locked.

My presets.

Offline Kynvuu

• #Grimstagram
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 212
  • I'm not saying that it was aliens but...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2017, 05:17:37 pm »
Locking this as the issue has been solved. c:
On a temporary leave. Please contact other members of staff if you need assistance.