Author Topic: Map help, Map maker crashing. Tried everything.  (Read 1548 times)

Offline TheScarletFox

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
    • View Profile
Map help, Map maker crashing. Tried everything.
« on: December 19, 2017, 06:52:02 am »
Seen this topic from years and years ago, but there aren't any recent ones.

Anyways, Whenever I open map maker, and attempt to load a terrain map, it crashes almost instantly. Within seconds.

Yes, it's greyscale.
Yes, it's 513 x 513.
Yes, it's a flat image.
Yes, it's a .png.
Yes, I've tried fully uninstalling and reinstalling the game.
Yes, I've tried adding "terrain" to the end.
Yes I've tried naming it a not common name.
Yes, I've completely remade it to make it way more simple.
Yes, I am really tired of this and just want to quit.

I've probably done more but my memory is bad.

I'm so done with this tbh. I just want it to work. Can provide the images.

Offline LycanSIXX

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
    • View Profile
Re: Map help, Map maker crashing. Tried everything.
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2017, 06:53:39 am »
Did you remove the Alpha channel? You may have tried that, but that's all I see missing form your list.

Offline TheScarletFox

• Curious Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2017, 06:58:40 am »
Did you remove the Alpha channel? You may have tried that, but that's all I see missing form your list.

What is the "Alpha channel"? I feel like this might be the thing I missed. Please excuse my dumb questions lol, its my first time making a map.

Offline LycanSIXX

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2017, 08:39:13 am »
Not a dumb question at all, essentially it's a transparent/opacity enabled channel that tends to pop up sometimes while you're making your map image. The game can't handle it so it crashes when you load that map. If you use gimp (cause I wouldn't know how to get rid of it  with Photoshop) Go to Layer > Transparency and Click Remove Alpha Channel that SHOULD fix your problem c:

Provided this is what's causing it haha.

If you don't know how to do it, you can PM me the Image and I'll do it for you :3

Offline SophyTheLioness

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 14
  • FUZZY LLAMA COOL LLAMA SEXY LLAMA
    • ValentinaTheWolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2017, 04:53:24 pm »
Hi Scarlet, perhaps if you shot us a screenshot of the file and its properties? Also, maybe let Lycan convert your pic if you feel like it- They could indeed have a fix to your problem :0! Make sure the name has no spaces btw
I'M YOUR OBSESSIVE SABLE MOMMA.

Signature art by bab number 1 Kiaz <3
Avatar art by bab number 2 Cocoadoq <3

(Psst, check out my free species! If you like canines... Check out this thread ;) http://www.feral-heart.com/smf/index.php?topic=57355.0

Offline Michen_S

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 15
    • michensneeuwhart
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2017, 05:50:24 pm »
What program are you using to create the heightmap? I have two art programs installed on my laptop, Paint.NET and GIMP 2. Images made with Paint.NET always crash my FH upon an attempt to load them in the map maker, but images made with GIMP can work.
This is because even if the entire thing is filled in perfect grey, FH never recognises maps made with Paint.NET as a grayscale image. GIMP, however, has an option where you can switch to the computer recognising it as a greyscale image. Once I export it after using that setting, FH doesn't crash upon loading the height map. It's a bit weird, I know, but that's how it works.

Don't worry, you don't need to entirely re-make the height map. You can also just open the image file in GIMP, turn the setting to let FH recognise it as gretscale image, and then export it as either a .png or a .jpg file. Unfortunately, I can't see from here what art program you're using or whether your art program has this option. If your art program doesn't have the option to let your PC recognise it as a greyscale image, you'll unfortunately have to download GIMP or an other art program that does have that.

I hope it helps!

Offline Kuri

• Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 136
  • Foreboding evil harmless kitten.
    • dumbstuff4friends
    • channel/UCo42jgbLvEzkofpOin0_a4A
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2017, 06:22:19 pm »
Oh, and any pure white tends to freak it out too.
The Japanese concept of wabisabi:
The closest concept in english would be 'rustic'
They might have an old thing, one example is a favourite bowl or dish, it's broken, pieces are missing, why fix it?  With gold and pieces from other dishes?
"Because it was my favourite & I like it"

Offline TheScarletFox

• Curious Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2017, 07:28:45 pm »
What program are you using to create the heightmap? I have two art programs installed on my laptop, Paint.NET and GIMP 2. Images made with Paint.NET always crash my FH upon an attempt to load them in the map maker, but images made with GIMP can work.
This is because even if the entire thing is filled in perfect grey, FH never recognises maps made with Paint.NET as a grayscale image. GIMP, however, has an option where you can switch to the computer recognising it as a greyscale image. Once I export it after using that setting, FH doesn't crash upon loading the height map. It's a bit weird, I know, but that's how it works.

Don't worry, you don't need to entirely re-make the height map. You can also just open the image file in GIMP, turn the setting to let FH recognise it as gretscale image, and then export it as either a .png or a .jpg file. Unfortunately, I can't see from here what art program you're using or whether your art program has this option. If your art program doesn't have the option to let your PC recognise it as a greyscale image, you'll unfortunately have to download GIMP or an other art program that does have that.

I hope it helps!

The image was made with FireAlpaca, but I copy pasted it into a new grayscale gimp file. That's probably the problem. I will try remaking it.

Offline TheScarletFox

• Curious Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2017, 09:24:32 pm »
Thank you for your advice, everyone! I have gotten it to work.

Offline Kynvuu

• #Grimstagram
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 212
  • I'm not saying that it was aliens but...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2017, 09:38:23 pm »
Locking this as the issue was solved c:
On a temporary leave. Please contact other members of staff if you need assistance.