Author Topic: Extreme Doormats?  (Read 2344 times)

Offline Wyldercat

• The Crimson Cryptic
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 101
  • yare yare daze
    • bugbearbear
    • View Profile
Extreme Doormats?
« on: July 06, 2016, 05:52:19 pm »
So, there are many character Tropes that one can utilize in characterization.

One of my personal favorites is the "Extreme Doormat." Essentially, it is a character who will obey their hero/lover/superiors without question and are generally spineless and painfully submissive. Many of these characters, however, usually have a "true friend" who help them escape their more detrimental orders; though this isn't always the case.
Some media examples are: Hunk from Voltron (mildly, early on); Mituna Captor, Tavros Nitram, Soos Ramirez, Mei from Overwatch (kinda), Ed from Ed Edd n Eddy, etc.
tl;dr: smol bean who is entirely subservient and has no redeeming qualities to change that

So, do you have any Extreme Doormats?
If so, do you like to develop them to be bolder?
Any True Friends to compliment them?

Feel to pm/whisper me if you have any questions or just want to chat.
nya

Offline Kynvuu

• #Grimstagram
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 212
  • I'm not saying that it was aliens but...
    • View Profile
Re: Extreme Doormats?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 05:57:17 pm »
Ooo, this is such an interesting topic~!

Personally, I like to play more loud and edgy characters, as the quite/submissive type isn't really my scene, but I have come across a few of these types of characters in RP and/or have role-played with them. Though, I think if I ever decided to play one of these characters, I'd focus on developing them to find some type of self-awakening quality that would ultimately lead to a break away from the "Doormat" stereotype. I enjoy character development, and I think its probably my favorite part of role-play, so I don't believe a character like this would ever stay static for me at least.
On a temporary leave. Please contact other members of staff if you need assistance.

Offline Tailgate

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 7
  • no longer active
    • spxcepirate
    • 887Horse
    • cassiopirate
    • birb4
    • yllsa_
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 06:07:48 pm »
I had a character who lived in a group with a class system, high/middle/low, and he was low class. The class system was so ingrained in both his mind and in society that he believed he was not important, staying out of everyone's way would help them more than helping him, and it he was quite startled every time someone would talk to him.
It was pretty fun, although the roleplay just wasn't for me so I ended up leaving, but I still like the character.

If you want to contact me, I am most likely to respond on DA!

Offline Chknsoup

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 5
  • Beyonce's chosen one
    • smol
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2016, 06:18:34 pm »
This is a pretty cool topic! I've never actually thought about this with my RP characters.
I usually play the too nice/feels bad for everything she does type characters, it's always been hard for me to RP as a aggressive character.
I've had one Doormat related character and she kept to herself a lot, didn't like being 'the center of attention', but she cared deeply for her comerads , she just didn't like showing that affection.
Her backstory wasn't good either, which back fired on her. She consently pushed away people who tried to get to know her.
That was probably my most favortie character to RP as and I still do!
slaying since the 90's

Offline FlyingGrass

• ~🛠 The avant-garde doctor of mechanical beings. 🔧 🔬
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 121
    • FlyingGrass
    • channel/UCA7RfqQ1KLl4s8JhxIXNs_Q
    • View Profile
    • Mechanicafeles Discord link
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2018, 01:55:13 pm »
Gui's probably an extreme doormat, being almost-spineless and painfully submissive. There are some who help Gui by protecting her from harm or repairing her when she's harmed.

To sum up my style of fighting: "My opponent has weak spots? I'll just make my character hit everything but the weak spots."
I'm so the opposite of a mary sue, whatever that's called. :-\

My presets.

Good things take time, so I'll take an eternity and create something so good that the human brain can't handle the sheer goodness of it.