Author Topic: Preset Help  (Read 1030 times)

Offline Jacoby

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 3
    • View Profile
Preset Help
« on: September 23, 2018, 04:33:48 pm »
I've been making presets for almost 2 years now, but I've had this everlasting problem with them and It's the reason I could never really do detailed presets. But the problem is with the characters legs. Let me explain; When you draw a line on the leg of the preset template thing. It looks straight right? But when you save it to the files and load it in game, the line becomes all over the place on the leg. You understand what I mean by this? Like the inside of the leg, with the line on it goes a different direction, and behind the leg the lines never meet. One is either above or below the other.

Something else to, how do people get the character models onto a program? Then do the preset and it shows up on it? Anybody know what program it is?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 05:08:22 pm by Dizzy »
If I'm offline I'm probably drinking vegan tea.

Offline Kastilla

• my mind is a sieve for inspiration.
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 71
  • [ ] make time go faster
    • View Profile
Re: Preset Help
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2018, 04:51:51 pm »
Yup, this is a common issue with beginner preset makers. Luckily, there are many guides out there that can help with this. They color-code the UV guide, so you know exactly where to color. It's a skill that takes a while to master, but you'll soon get the hang of it! Especially if you do several types of different presets.

Here is a lovely, color-coded guide.
stinky dog coming through, don't mind me!

Lucius

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2018, 04:55:15 pm »
That's because the UVs are not straight lines. In your my_presets folder, there's another folder called reference. Open that up and you should see files with the suffix _UV. Those are the guides to how the models are unwrapped and how they apply the texture.

To have a straight line, you must follow the UV guides.

As an example, this should give you a straight line

This will not
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 10:08:10 pm by Lucius »

Offline Jacoby

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2018, 05:00:22 pm »
Yup, this is a common issue with beginner preset makers. Luckily, there are many guides out there that can help with this. They color-code the UV guide, so you know exactly where to color. It's a skill that takes a while to master, but you'll soon get the hang of it! Especially if you do several types of different presets.

Here is a lovely, color-coded guide.

Thank you.

Offline Jacoby

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2018, 05:00:34 pm »
That's because the UVs are not straight lines. In your my_presets folder, there's another folder called reference. Open that up and you should see files with the suffix _UV. Those are the guides to how the models are unwrapped and how they apply the texture.

To have a straight line, you must follow the UV guides.

As an example, this should give you a straight line

This will not

Thank you.