Author Topic: Different Languages Board  (Read 3959 times)

Offline palmknife

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 22
  • . back from the dead ig
    • slicinn
    • View Profile
Different Languages Board
« on: September 16, 2016, 07:40:59 pm »
(tbh I am an Almanian)

What about a board called "Different Languages Board"? Since FH has alot of members and some of them may not know english.
All of the boards here would be in a France board, Spanish board, Korean board etc...
schön

Offline Warriorstrike

• . "The truth is often what we make of it; you heard what you wanted to hear, believed what you wanted to believe."
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 346
  • . Remember… the Force will be with you. Always.
    • warriorstrike
    • warriorstrike
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
Re: Different Languages Board
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2016, 07:59:08 pm »
While I can see how this would be a very lovely idea and would support the including of players from many different cultures and backgrounds, the issue I would see here would be the difficulty for staff to properly monitor those boards. From what I'm aware, most of the members on the staff team are familiar with English, but I don't know if there are many of us who would be able to understand other languages well enough to properly watch the boards (besides our small handful of Swedes). If there are boards specifically geared toward users who prefer to speak in a different language other than English, it wouldn't be hard for foul play/language or skeptical subjects to go under our noses and not be properly addressed. Even in other languages, everyone should be respectful of the rules, and it's a priority of ours to make sure things like this are still being followed. I understand that there are websites out there, such as Google Translate, which could aid in helping us to understand what is being said, but they are not entirely accurate. Keeping the forum mostly related to in the English language helps us do our job better and make sure things are A-Okay. This might help to clear up a few things, as well:

• Foreign Languages
    This is an English based website, therefore you are required to have a basic knowledge of the English language, at least on the forum. This is to avoid confusion and miscommunication with the staff and with other members. If members are continuously spotted talking other languages, warnings will be given.

These are just my thoughts on the subject. I would love for everyone to feel included on the forum, and I do think you mean well, but I just don't know how far we would be able to incorporate this idea.

I'll also move this over to The Inputbox board since this is a suggestion for the website, rather than the game.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 09:09:25 pm by Warriorstrike »

If you define yourself by the power to take life, the desire to dominate, to possess… then you have nothing.

ArcticGalaxy

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2016, 08:20:03 pm »
I really love this idea myself, but as Nynx said, it would be difficult to monitor these boards when most Staff are English speakers. Unless of course, some people that are fluent in other languages are hired onto the staff team, then that would be different. But those people are very hard to come by So although this is a very nice idea, I honestly can't really see it happening.

Offline Kynvuu

• #Grimstagram
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 212
  • I'm not saying that it was aliens but...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2016, 08:27:54 pm »
I think this would be a great idea, especially for those struggling to fit in because of the language they speak. Though I do understand the point Nynx is getting at. Perhaps a better alternative would be to have a handful of people in some sort of forum group that are bilingual in which foreign language speakers could go to. Like for example, I speak both English (Native) and fluent Spanish, so something over on my profile could say like "Languages: English & Spanish" and a user who needs help understanding something or a topic translated could then PM me or something of the sorts.
On a temporary leave. Please contact other members of staff if you need assistance.

Offline Insoholic

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 152
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2016, 08:53:57 pm »
Honestly, I was planning on making a similar topic to this one. I fully support the idea.

Back in 2011, the forum was available in many languages (including Russian, French, Hungarian, etc). And I don't really know why was it removed. Just a different language version of the forum...

I believe many FH users are aware of the DE Forum - yeah, there was a german forum with its own staff members.
It would be nice to have many language versions of the forum, but a few mods would be needed to moderate with interest and actually keep it updated. It wouldn't hurt if there was one (for example a russian forum). I don't really see a problem with implementing this idea (except the lack of staff members), but they can always open applications for people who are willing to help and speak foreign languages.

I can give an example with another game - Transformice. They have applications and for other communities they are always open.
I can imagine a section called "International" with many boards and child-boards for different languages.

I really hope they will take this idea into consideration.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 09:15:32 pm by Moontwist »

Signature art by Kynvuu

Offline hugrf2

• Purple Derple
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 120
  • wrow
    • hugrf
    • channel/UChLphw5s3-hS8EFAgnNv6FQ
    • hugrf
    • hugrf
    • Ain't nobody got time fo' dat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2016, 09:04:43 pm »
I'd like to see a Dutch board, as I myself am learning Dutch.

But I think I can mostly agree with what others say here. I like the idea, and Kynvuu's idea as well, but it might be slightly tricky to implement in the first place, because of all the details and stuff going into it... I do like the idea, though, nonetheless.

Offline Aclediptus

• Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 48
  • Where are the Almond Doughnuts
    • aclediptus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2016, 01:54:02 pm »
I'd like to see a Dutch board, as I myself am learning Dutch.

Hoi, ik heb nooit aan een Nederlandse taalcursus gehoord. Is dat nieuw?

I believe many FH users are aware of the DE Forum[/color][/center]

Och, ja. I think I found that while rummaging through the WayBack Machine. The idea of having the forum boards in multiple languages does sound like a good idea, but we can't split it up too much. At least branch out to major language groups could work out (i.e. Russian, German, French, Spanish) But as mentioned above, it would be hard to monitor if there are no little staff who are fluent in that language. If it were the members to help the staff with translating the boards' activities, it wouldn't come out well coordinated, I believe.
For now, I think it's best to keep it primarily English.

Currently retired floof

Find me on discord: Aclediptus#7160

Offline Insoholic

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 152
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2016, 02:58:41 pm »
As I said above, my suggestion is to add a section called "International" with many boards and child-boards for different languages. I don't think that it would be too hard (and I'm not saying that it's going to be easy) to find mature people who are speaking foreign languages and suitable for a mini-mod position. These boards could possibly encourage users to bring problems and questions to the Staff (in other languages).

Signature art by Kynvuu

Offline Morgra

• I don't like sand...
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 347
  • Ever been killed by a spider? I was
    • DinksterDaily
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2016, 09:20:50 pm »
I like this idea, but I would think it would be difficult to moderate. Maybe if we did enough looking for people with different languages we could incorporate this.
I also liked what @Moontwist provided. Wonder why they got rid of the language options from back then?

And if not the whole forums, maybe the official information should be translated.
Profile pic by Edolicious

People don't think the universe be like it is, but it do.

Offline Drunk

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 15
  • The Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2016, 06:18:12 am »
I remember there being a rule about in Local on Public maps you are only allowed to speak English which helps the mods when there is a problem, so as long as these other forums don't encourage speaking a different language that goes against the rules should be fine to use the translate or other options suggested.