Author Topic: How to do hand-drawn animation without a tablet...the GWolf Studios way!  (Read 6000 times)

Offline Wolfexpert79

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 45
  • I'm...shocked...T_T
    • View Profile
    • Gierra RPG Forum
How to do hand-drawn animation without a tablet...the GWolf Studios way!
~~~
This tutorial was intended for GIMP, not professional artist programs. You also need a scanner.
~~~

LETS BEGIN!!!
~~~

For the first step we're going to be doing a ball, simple right? Just take a piece of paper and draw something like this, (I fail at drawing circles ok? xD) :

^ I know what your thinking, what the heck is that thing??? That thing is going to be your bouncing ball animation!

Now lets move onto step 2, put you piece of paper on the scanner and upload it into GIMP. Now open a new layer and trace over those circles with your mouse in DIFFERENT layers, they should look like this:

Incase you didn't interpret that right, let me show you a simplified version of the last step:

Now go to the filters tab of your GIMP window and go to animation>playback...  and it should look like this:

^ But wait, the ball doesn't come back down! Weeellll I was too lazy to do that but you should know how to make the ball come back down by now.

Time to export it as a GIF! Make sure you click the "save as animation" box:

Coloring

Coloring finally! (This picture took forever due to severe procrastination -_-;)
~~~
LET US BEGIN!
~~~
First you, as usual, need to draw you base image and an idea of what you want it to do. For my image, i'll be using mobian!me and an actually sketch I drew :U

Now you do what I told you last time and use your mouse to trace over the already drawn lines! (I reccomend checking the "smooth stroke" check box) I used different brush sizes for different things in the picture. Also make sure you trace on a new, transparent layer and not the base one. This will matter later.

Now for ze next step, we shall color the image! Make sure you use Different layers so it's easier to edit later on. (IE: The lines are one layer, the body's color is another layer, the background is another layer, outside is another layer, the white colored things like her eyes and the outlet is a plain white layer)

Now for the final step! Keep doing what your doing using the information from this part of the tutorial as well as the second part and you've got yourself a colored animation! I used the computer completely for making the eyes blink as you can see from the base image. Use the color dropper to color over those pesky, left over white spaces from your base layer!

That's all for today kids, next we'll be doing walking and other movements as well as coloring! =D

Some of my- /shot  ok ONLY animations xD

There are more but I have to find them ._.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 12:33:09 am by Alex- »

wolfgirl56

Re: How to do hand-drawn animation without a tablet...the GWolf Studios way!
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 02:20:13 am »
Thanks for putting this up. I also love the cat animation!

Offline Wolfexpert79

• Finest Floof
  • I'm...shocked...T_T
    • View Profile
    • Gierra RPG Forum
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 02:25:17 am »
No probs, I thought my methods would come in handy since others confuse me x_x

I'm planning on adding the other part tomorrow

Narkeen

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 09:47:58 pm »
Well, I normally use MS Paint...buut, I guess I could use it again as an animation software.

Offline Wolfexpert79

• Finest Floof
  • I'm...shocked...T_T
    • View Profile
    • Gierra RPG Forum
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 12:33:33 am »
Bump, I updated for coloring! :D