Author Topic: ...Off-Character People...  (Read 2985 times)

Offline Hallucination

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 17
    • View Profile
...Off-Character People...
« on: February 22, 2013, 08:17:13 pm »
I don't know how many of you are familiar with this term.
On Character means like, sticking to your character's personality and stuff...
So it's pretty clear what Off-Character means.

How many of you hate when people randomly go Off-Character? It gets annoying for me. For instance, I make my character absolutely hate some character for their personality if it is opposite of my character's. Then suddenly when you are about to do something about them, they change it!

For instance;
In a warrior cat roleplay, a loner comes in to camp.
Their bio says they kill everything in their pass, have no remorse to their evil, and never will.
Then suddenly, after they kill like, the deputy and a few warriors (on permission, of course), and the Clan finally has the permission to kill them for their wrong acts, they suddenly go all cuddly-fluffy-teddy bear. Begging for their life, crying for forgiveness, etc. I could see if they have a borderline personality disorder, or are described as a betraying trickster, that they're putting on an act. But when they do that with no such think, its seriously disturbing.
Tell some of your own experiences with these sort of people.

From the Shadows ~ Hallucination

Offline WhiteLightHeart

• iTrumpet~<3
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 230
  • Seems legit
    • WhiteLightHeart
    • View Profile
Re: ...Off-Character People...
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 03:20:57 am »
Hrm... I can say I've seen my share of this in the past.

I view it as more of a under-developed character, particularly the ones like you described. Sure, they romanticize  and almost glorify the horrific past of their characters, saying they're big and bad, but as you said, it falls apart when they actually go to roleplay it. They just don't stick with the personality they envisioned for the character, often because the Rp wasn't going the way they'd planned.

It does get a little frustrating when some floofs get out here and don't really play their own character's part, but I guess all of that comes with experience. c:>

Although, if I were in that warrior Rp you described, I probably would've prompted the 'big bad kitty gone soft' by having my cat say something like this:
"Where's your dignity?" The she-cat rumbled, unimpressed by the loner's sudden groveling countenance. "You came in here like you didn't care of you started a fight; Why so quick to make friends, now?"

Like that. Probably. XD It might prompt them to stick to their character's personality. But, if not... Eh. -Shrug- Derps will derp, then.
|| ~Avatar by Kikiorylandia, Sig commissioned by Wolf_Memories~ ||
|| Thank you. <3 ||

Offline catsanddogsandbirds

• Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 28
  • ~by the candelight I glow~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 03:30:58 am »
What I hate the most is when people pretend their characters know everything they know from the OOC chat. Such as;
(This is in Group.) (This is General)
 <Sun (Me)> *is bored*

Claw has arrived.
  Claw is online.
<Sun> Oh, hey Claw! :D
 <Claw> Hey. Wanna rp?
 <Sun> Sure.

<Sun> Sun padded across the dusty plain, her large, hard paws protecting her from the sharp rocks. However, as she walked, she saw a black figure outlined in the distance, walking silently. It was a large cat. Perhaps a cougar, like her?
 <Claw> Claw sprinted across the land, the wind taking him. Suddenly, he skidded to a stop. When he turned, he saw a cougar staring at him. "Hello, Sun," he rumbled, "What is it you want?"

How could this "Claw" know my character's name? I'd freak out if a stranger just said (this is not my real name), "Hello, Ashley." o.O

Offline Hallucination

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 10:16:05 pm »
Both are excellent points of view. Some people jut don't get "Sticking to characters. Sometimes it is hard, especially if you make character's with the opposite personality as yourself. But that shouldn't be an excuse.

From the Shadows ~ Hallucination

Offline greenart6

• The Chicken God
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 143
  • Spooky glowy ghost dogs
    • WornSkateboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 01:35:19 pm »
I've gone WAY Off Character with my deer, Chippewa.

(beginning) Me: He stomped his hooves and gently stabbed the predator with his antlers. "Stay away from this herd!" he said,stomping at the cat.
(now)Me: *predator is hunting us while I'm talking in group:* sunshine lollipops and rainbows everything is wonderful now that we're together!
Leader: Chip! Get over here.
Me: Nu.

Offline rustheart

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 76
  • Elbows are just arm knees.
    • RustyMcRustFace
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 04:18:40 pm »
Sometimes people mistake on character post with off character posts.  I have a character, Jackel, that doesn't really like anyone and when I try to roleplay how he would act some people start yelling at me.
"I'm a kitchen sink, you don't know what that means. Because a kitchen sink to you, is not a kitchen sink to me, okay?"
Snow Shoe
Drawn by Aviru

Offline Tearless

• The strange artist about whom your mother warned you...
  • Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 81
  • Weird Absentee Uncle
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 07:37:58 pm »
It does make cohesive RPing difficult when someone changes personality mid-storyline. I've seen it happen either when people expect an RP to go a certain way and it doesn't, or when they feel people aren't reacting well to their character, either IC or OOC. Having an abrasive, disrespectful rebel of a character might seem like a cool idea on paper, but only until they have to pay for disregarding the alpha's orders and/or picking fights with everyone (unless they powerplay, but then the point's moot anyway). The natural reaction would be to immediately change your ways to try and get out of whatever consequences you brought on yourself. Maybe it crosses over with the problem of the oft-blurred line between characters and the people behind them.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 07:40:09 pm by Tearless »

Offline Silvertide

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 22
  • Drawn by WhiteLightHeart, colored by me. <3
    • View Profile
    • The Siar Journey Reborn
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 09:42:45 pm »
Yeah I know what you mean, it bothers me tons! It mostly happens with those people always looking for mates too. They are mean, stomping around, warning people to not come close, and then a male character appears and they go all soft, kind, and loveable. It's like...Geez! The world isn't all about finding a mate! Just RP your character like normal!

Offline Haruki

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 24
  • "Better to be carried by six than tried by twelve"
    • View Profile
    • CatalinaPacks
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 10:20:39 pm »
Having an abrasive, disrespectful rebel of a character might seem like a cool idea on paper, but only until they have to pay for [the consequenses]
This.

For myself, I have the opposite personality and problem. I have many very kind and gentle characters who are portrayed as patient and innocent. The problem with that is when they are threatened or stressed, I have to adjust them in very specific ways to still react appropriately and get across actual emotions from the character (so as to not have plain-jane nothingness characters)