Author Topic: Tips on Preset Making for Gimp  (Read 4010 times)

Offline hugrf2

• Purple Derple
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 120
  • wrow
    • hugrf
    • channel/UChLphw5s3-hS8EFAgnNv6FQ
    • hugrf
    • hugrf
    • Ain't nobody got time fo' dat
    • View Profile
Tips on Preset Making for Gimp
« on: May 19, 2013, 06:07:51 pm »
Want some glowy-looking eyes? or perhaps anything like that? want it to be in one spot, not everywhere ruining your preset? You're in the right tutorial. I shall show you all about that for Gimp.
Okay, let's say we want a glowy part of your preset, BUT not actual glowing or glowing in the dark, like... a Supernova!
We have our preset up, correct? Let's do this thing. Let's say, we paint over the part we want that we want only to have that little supernova.
For example, we put a tiny blue cyan dot on the eye.

See that tool circled in black? That's the tool we click! Now, click the little dot with that tool. There should be little things circling it, tiny dots. When you color in it then try to color out of the little dots, you will see nothing. However, you can smuge white into the circle, but that's it.
Now, here are some filters that might be good.
Filters>Light and Shadow>Supernova
Filters>Render>Clouds>Difference Clouds
Filters>Render>Lava
You can mess around with other filters too. :3 I will use Difference Clouds. Now, I messed around with the little arrows, and then I got this piece of awesome.

Cool, right? You can mess around with the detail and seed! Note, this tutorial is also good for art on Gimp!
Now, let's add a tiny supernova to it, shall we?
X:290
Y:224
Color is a green.
Radius: 100
Spokes: 586
Random Hue: 0
That's my settings for it. Click the little color box if you wish to change the color~
Click the place where you want your supernova to be! I click OK now.

Wasn't very good... But it works better often. Way better, so don't worry, it doesn't always look like this. ^^
Let's just add the Lava filter to fix this mess. I'm going to un-check the Separate layer, too, so we can try on the lava in case.
Now let's pick our gradient. I picked Land and Sea, and clicked out of the gradient picking thing.
Now I'm going to press OK.

...A little crappy, but it does look a bit cool. Trust me, the Lava filter can be better too.
Note, the Difference Clouds filter can probably help with map making.
Anyway, I'll just save this image. I've seen your tips of stuff in this tutorial. :P
Don't have gimp? Download it here!
It's completely free, too! This was a tutorial for some preset making and sturf on it, nothing much.

You can also mess around with other filters. For example, Mosaic or whatever it's called. Good for dragon scales, or tile ground textures! I think it's in Distort, or whatever that's called.
And yes, you can use this stuff for presets in codes and such, like a glow in the dark eye.
Hope this helped~ <3

~Hugrf

Offline silverwolf120

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 11
  • I am obssessed With Smile.Dog and Strider!
    • View Profile
Re: Tips on Preset Making for Gimp
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 04:21:02 am »
Hugrf this was really helpful +floof

Signature by Demon
            Merry Christmas

Offline Shenidan

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 80
  • Me hoy minoy
    • zyvy-raen
    • corri132
    • zyvraen666
    • View Profile
    • deviantART
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 12:57:10 am »
Thanks for this tutorial, I was trying to make a random preset on my own and I dont know what I'm doing XD Again, Thank you for this Hugrf.

Signature by Sophie-Feathersong on dA

Find me ingame as ^Blurryface^

Offline hugrf2

• Purple Derple
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 120
  • wrow
    • hugrf
    • channel/UChLphw5s3-hS8EFAgnNv6FQ
    • hugrf
    • hugrf
    • Ain't nobody got time fo' dat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 12:59:24 am »
Ek, you're welcome my fellow floofs~ Ish no problem. ?