Author Topic: Guide to Bad Roleplay  (Read 9890 times)

Offline darkknight

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 60
  • Ask Questions
    • View Profile
Guide to Bad Roleplay
« on: September 09, 2013, 02:04:28 pm »
? Guide to Bad Role-play ?

Ellos, floofs, I wanted to create a short guide of things that make a role-play bad or just unacceptable. Hopefully this guide will help some of you when you play with others and have less time discussing what hit was made. If there is anything you think that should be added, just post it below and it could be included. Let's start!

Metagaming- use of out-of-character information for in-character

When you use information OOC either for the better good or bad, it is still not a good way to role-play. If your character hasn't made any discoveries on their own in whatever way during their time, then they just don't know yet. Vise versa, don't tell someone OOC what your character is and that the other person must acknowledge it in the role-play. No, don't do this, let the person you are role-playing with see or discover for themselves - it is fun for both parties to do so.

Godmodding- creating or acting invincible characters

Do I need to explain this? Lol...
This is simply making your character a god, totally immortal, totally invincible, never getting a scratch on them. They can come out of a brutal fight and heal under an hour. Cool, right? ... It's not.

Powerplaying- taking control of another person's character

Again - do I need to explain this?
Powerplay is just basically as stated, taking control of another person's character. This is most common in fighting role-play where one person will say -
She takes Ginger's head and throws her body to the wall as she hears the girl's scream in agony.
Any action that involves the reaction from another person should never be in your post - let the other person do that for themselves if the action is accepted.

Auto-hit-  striking without a reaction from the other person.

This is so common I think people know exactly what is means, but I'll explain anyway. Auto-hitting is just giving a hit to your opponent without them accepting or responding to the action. Using words like "would", "could", "attempts," or any other words in that nature that senses a coming blow makes it possible for the other player to recognize you are about to hit them.

Well, that's it for now. ~ Thank you for viewing and happy role-playing.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 05:07:44 pm by FoxPhilosopher »
Image © Mikita Kavalenka

Offline Microfloof

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 8
  • Love lights more fire than hate extinguishes.
    • View Profile
Re: Guide to Bad Roleplay
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 03:28:35 pm »
This is a great guide. I'm sure many people will benefit from this! I just can't stand when people powerplay, auto-hit, metagame and all that. I'm sure everyone will appreciate this (and you, of course!) so floof for you.

Well done.

Skypeeez: DelightfulRippedSofa
View my deviantART or submit a help ticket!

Offline meeeea

• Community Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 03:32:31 pm »

Yeeeees. Great tutorial Foxxy, would help a ton of newbies just getting into roleplay, to get used to the references and such.

ThrillexForLife

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 09:01:55 pm »
This is a great bad roleplay guide. :3 Some of them I never knew of, or other words, the meaning. xD Well, thank you for this. This really, really, really helped me. <333 Thankies. +Floof

Offline Arkayy

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 40
  • YOU WANNA HAVE BAD TOM?!
    • arkayy.deviantart.com
    • Foxyhobobaggins
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 09:57:50 pm »

Someone sticky this to the roleplaying areas! I didn't even know some of these were words!!!

I'm sure every roleplayer has gone through at least one stage where they would do at least one of these though. My field would probably be twinking once in a while. I still sort of do it sadly, but I can only come up with one character of mine that are more unrealistic. But that might just be blind rage and stupidity on his part xD.

I don't know if it this would qualify above, but i hate it when a character gets wounded, pretty severely, and they weasel out of it perfectly ok. I mean, I can understand if that character has some miraculous healing ability, but if they don't, how can they just stand up all fine after having an arrow through there knee??? (Just an example. No skyrim joke intended xDD)

Powerplaying and godmodding I've said nuf about in the past and i don't need to nag anymore. :P

U WANNA HAV EH BAAD TOM?!

Offline OreoHeroz

• Taco-Hat
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 142
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 10:34:02 pm »
A great guide to roleplaying, FP (if I may call you that for short). I'm sure floofs who struggle with roleplaying will appreciate this when they stumble upon it. Very well written as well, and once again - thanks for this~ +floof

Offline darkknight

• Finest Floof
  • Ask Questions
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 05:23:54 pm »
Late response, and thanks very much, you all, glad you like it. ~ I hope this does help out some people when they role-play and such.   
Image © Mikita Kavalenka

Offline Lady_Alizarin

• ✨ Is a Slytherin ✨
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 122
  • ~ Inactive on the forums
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2013, 06:13:35 pm »
Terrific guide! I must admit that I've never heard some of these terms before, "Twinking", "Metagaming", "Cheesing", and..... "Munchkin?"

Inactive

Offline darkknight

• Finest Floof
  • Ask Questions
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2013, 10:23:28 pm »
Lol, no, not that "munchkin." XD

-Climbs on a mountain and raises animal, triumphantly in the air- Munchkin!
Image © Mikita Kavalenka

Offline Vespian

• An Unsightly Beast
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 242
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2013, 04:15:48 am »
This is really good, I must admit. Some of these terms I didn't even know myself until now such as Cheesing, Twinking, and Munchkin. No doubt this guide will be more than useful to those who are a bit new to the art of roleplay. +floof.
gone