Author Topic: Role-playing tips.  (Read 2838 times)

Offline Honest~Faith

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 32
  • I'm baaack!! <3
    • View Profile
Role-playing tips.
« on: March 20, 2014, 07:02:24 pm »
Hello there floofehs! <3
This will be a simple tutorial on role-playing.
In this tutorial, I will be showing you on how to improve your awesomeness.
Especially for you floofs I will show you my method of improving.
Let's start!  :D
There are three levels,
Normal.
Semi-literate
Literate.
Let me explain.

Normal: When your role-play is normal, it's simple and easy. EX: Jake lifted his hand, reaching into his backpack
                                                                                                           to get some food. Even though he only saw oranges,
                                                                                                           he decided to eat them.

Semi-literate: Semi-literates are 50% literate and 50% normal as they add some details. EX: Jake lifted his right, skinny arm. He decided to take out some delicious food. He started to reach out for his red backpack that was on his back, slowly taking it off of his back with force. Jake unzipped his backpack, slowly taking the oranges out. They smelt lovely!                                                           

Literates: Literates use details and experienced words. EX:
The masculine observed his surroundings with his oculars because
he was always protective about his own genus. The stallion batted
at his haunches with his banner as he slowly lifted his right, injured hoof up
and gently placing it on the surface below.

What is power-playing?:
                                 Power-playing is when you do something that isn't possible in real life or you injure/kill someone instantly:
                                  EX: Kills no miss or dodge.
                                  EX: The giant elephant stomped on the dragon killing it instantly.
                                  EX: The human stabbed the animal in the head killing it instantly.
                                  EX: The chihuahua bit the human's skull cracking it.                                       
                                  EX: The pug bit the horse's hoof braking it.
                                  EX: The fox kit bit into the horse's leg getting into the flesh easily with his giant, poisonous fangs.

What is auto-hitting?:
                                       Auto-hitting is when you immediately injure/kill someone without letting them respond:
                                    EX: With his horn the unicorn stabbed the horse through it's leg getting into the flesh.
                                    EX: Kills no miss or dodge.
                                         Auto-hitting is basically power-playing.

How to stop power-playing/auto-hitting?
                                      To stop power-playing or auto-hitting you could
                                       try to say "attempt" when you're trying to injure someone
                                        EX: The man attempts to stab the human in the head.
                                       EX: The elephant attempts to stomp on the dragon.
                                        EX: The fox kit attempts to bite the horse's leg with his baby teeth.

Be realistic!:
                                             Do whatever you want but remember to be realistic.
                                             If you're roleplaying as a small creature/human/whatever, be realistic about it!

How to be realistic?:
                                                   To be realistic, you have to think of what might your character have when it's big/small.
                                                   For example, If I'm a fox kit I could say that I have baby teeth rather than saying I
                                                   have really really strong teeth.
                                                    Want more examples? Here they are:
                                                       The wolf pup howled weakly as he showed his small baby teeth.
                                                      The small dragon flapped his little, weak wings.
                                                       The foal/colt/filly stood up for the first time but her/his legs were still weak.

My method:
                                                          Whatever animal I create I always go to Wikipedia and I check for information about
                                                           that animal. That always makes me feel comfortable about role-playing as my
                                                            character.

Knowing experienced words:
                                                           You don't have to be smart to be literate!
                                                           I always go to Wikipedia and if I find some information I usually
                                                           write the information on a piece of paper so I can look at the piece of paper
                                                           until I get to know the fact.

Thank you for reading ^.^
                                                         If you think I need to add something, please let me know <3
                                                                Bye.
                                                          P.S: This is my first time creating a help topic.

In-game username: Honest~Faith

Offline mcgee2001

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 22
  • Khalessi Of The Dothraki~
    • View Profile
    • Mcgee's Place
Re: Role-playing tips.
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 07:45:09 pm »
Oh, I read though this and it seems it will be really helpful for starting-off role-players! +floof

Signature by: Marija, thank you!! <3
Avatar by: Sameth, thank you!! <3
Find me in-game as: Mcgee

Offline Honest~Faith

• Finest Floof
  • I'm baaack!! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 07:58:32 pm »
Oh, I read though this and it seems it will be really helpful for starting-off role-players! +floof
Thank you for reading and thanks for your feedback! <3
             W..wait.. a floof :o ~gives cookie~ Danke!<3

Offline mcgee2001

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 22
  • Khalessi Of The Dothraki~
    • View Profile
    • Mcgee's Place
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 08:12:51 pm »
Thank you for reading and thanks for your feedback! <3
             W..wait.. a floof :o ~gives cookie~ Danke!<3

Your welcome! :D

Signature by: Marija, thank you!! <3
Avatar by: Sameth, thank you!! <3
Find me in-game as: Mcgee

Offline SoaringAway

• Finest Floof
  • Ours is the Fury.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 11:38:09 pm »
Greetings!

I am just here to clarify the stance of being "literate" and the over extravagance given to the word and how it should be classified.

The broad term of literate usually emphasizes the proper usage of syntax, or, how a sentence is formulated and often details. This is not the case to being literate. Having a large scale of vocabulary is one thing, but, misusing the words to describe other nouns, for example, is not being literate.

"The stallion batted at his haunches with his banner as he slowly lifted his right, injured hoof up and gently placing it on the surface below. " (Example 1)

I understand that this has been loosely known as "wolf-speak" (?) ad where multiple words are exchanged for much more eccentric means of identifying what is presented to the reader or other rpers. This applies to different words used in your entry such as "banner" in the excerpt from your short paragraph. Just, honestly, use the appropriate words like mane or tail since it is confusing at times to trying to differentiate an extended metaphor and actual actions.

Your first entry for "normal" was basically the most literate example you have out of "Literate," "Semi-literate," and "Normal."

[WIP]

Offline Honest~Faith

• Finest Floof
  • I'm baaack!! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 09:47:13 am »
Greetings!

I am just here to clarify the stance of being "literate" and the over extravagance given to the word and how it should be classified.

The broad term of literate usually emphasizes the proper usage of syntax, or, how a sentence is formulated and often details. This is not the case to being literate. Having a large scale of vocabulary is one thing, but, misusing the words to describe other nouns, for example, is not being literate.

"The stallion batted at his haunches with his banner as he slowly lifted his right, injured hoof up and gently placing it on the surface below. " (Example 1)

I understand that this has been loosely known as "wolf-speak" (?) ad where multiple words are exchanged for much more eccentric means of identifying what is presented to the reader or other rpers. This applies to different words used in your entry such as "banner" in the excerpt from your short paragraph. Just, honestly, use the appropriate words like mane or tail since it is confusing at times to trying to differentiate an extended metaphor and actual actions.

Your first entry for "normal" was basically the most literate example you have out of "Literate," "Semi-literate," and "Normal."

[WIP]
I get your point there.
             That was meant to be a description of wolf-speak.
             Since everyone uses wolf-speak(In bonfire etc.) I decided to give an example of it.