Author Topic: Don't Necro Old Threads  (Read 1986 times)

Offline The Pumpkin King

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 2
    • View Profile
Don't Necro Old Threads
« on: August 12, 2014, 12:00:07 am »
Okay, every time me and my friend go on this forum we notice like a billion topics with "Don't necro old threads, please." on them

And then it's like... The thread is about an awesome map/mesh that was created a couple months or years ago and somebody brings it back by saying they like it. Okay, I see that it was made a while ago - but then more people can see that mesh/map

Or maybe there's a topic in the help thread that was post posted a couple months ago and was never answered and somebody answers it. Well, that person probably didn't need help anymore if he/she didn't bump the thread but somebody still tried to help.

God, I know that bringing back old threads causes clutter and stuff but some of this is just out of control. Every freaking thread it's

"Don't necro old threads"

"Don't post on old threads"

"Don't bring dead threads back, please"

I don't know I see why you have to say that because it is a rule to not bring back threads that haven't been updated in months but it gets a bit annoying to see the same post.

Does it annoy any of you guys, too?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 02:36:11 am by The Pumpkin King »

Offline WolfQueen

• Onion Queen
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 117
  • feralheart's malignant tumor
    • jengajangle
    • jenqatower
    • jengatower
    • jengatowerr
    • View Profile
Re: Don't Necro Old Threads
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 01:54:20 am »
To be honest it's nothing to get annoyed about.

Offline greenart6

• The Chicken God
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 143
  • Spooky glowy ghost dogs
    • WornSkateboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 02:09:42 am »
I had some more to say but I lost it huehue

I'm just gonna simply say that you wouldn't have to get annoyed by the 'please don't necro old threads' stuff if people didn't bump old threads so much and so often... and how else are we supposed to stop that if we don't tell the people that they shouldn't do that? If we don't tell people who necro old threads that it's against the rules then they won't stop.

As said above it's not really anything to get annoyed about. It's just people trying to make sure the rules are being followed, and you said that it brings more attention to stuff. Well, true, but these bumped threads are usually locked by a staff member and will get buried in time... we don't like to, 'disturb the dead' as some people say.

I might seem like a bit of a jerk here but that's that just my opinion on this.

Offline hugrf2

• Purple Derple
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 120
  • wrow
    • hugrf
    • channel/UChLphw5s3-hS8EFAgnNv6FQ
    • hugrf
    • hugrf
    • Ain't nobody got time fo' dat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 03:46:00 am »
I was more likely confused about the fact that threads that are two months old might sometimes be considered necro-ing... <.< But really, if it's an entire year old, I guess it can get pretty annoying if you think about it, so that's something not to fuss about, aye?

So really, it might depend on how old it is... If it's like, three weeks old and no one posted in it since then, I think it's good to bring up old threads sometimes. But not like... So-frickin'-old-like-it's-older-than-the-universe thread stoof. Those I wouldn't think should be posted in.

Make sense? No? No? Okay, whatever. But to sum it up, necroing old threads can actually be a little annoying. Depending on the age, but yeah. That's just my opinion.

Offline Redlinelies

• The FeralHeart Guru
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 792
  • Modoru Pride
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 09:06:37 am »
If it's one thing the people on this forum must admit whether they like it more or less is that it has remained a fairly structured one. Threads being necroed left and right is certainly not something that will ensure that new and current conversations stay on focus and avoid having subjects that are long dead go on.

Now I must admit that some threads has been locked a bit too quickly in some cases that could've remained open, but the mods or people that point out not to necro is trying to help just as much as the one actually posting in an old thread, at least in most cases.

From what I've seen, the majority of the cases when the whole "necro" thing comes up, people have been posting in ways that doesn't really provide much to the thread itself or even the board, sometimes the thread is old stuff not relative anymore, sometimes the replies are short and do not bring anything to the subject, sometimes the users posting show more or less that they are new to forums and don't know how to navigate it's threads as well as a more seasoned user, sometimes it's even clear that the user is just posting to boost their postcount.

There's ways to post to avoid this really, if it's an old discussion thread maybe check up if it's even something going on still, if so, maybe go more into detail why you as a user decide to post in it and bring it back. It will look like necroing if you just say "Yeah, this is a good idea!" and leave it.

I must say though not all threads are the same, and things like mods and creations should most of the time remain open unless the original poster wants it removed or closed. I personally will keep an eye closer on the boards regarding closed "necro" threads and make sure it stays on a good line. I think the forum has faired fairly well when it comes to this matter though.

Former community manager of FeralHeart

Offline StarrieNova

• Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 52
  • Cuddle Fluff
    • StarrieNova
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 09:25:28 am »
Honestly I do not find it annoying. Yes, it slips my mind to check the date on the post, and I accidentally help the thread come back up, but I do not find it anything to get annoyed about.

Siggy by: MittenstheNoble