Author Topic: Possibly implementing the Preset Sync?  (Read 2605 times)

Offline Ruby1234

• Mean Tutorial Queen
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 297
  • aka Phloxenfree.
    • View Profile
Re: Possibly implementing the Preset Sync?
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2016, 04:45:48 pm »
I do not think it would be a good idea.
While it's easy to say, "oh, it would be great because then everyone would see my preset automatically! convenient!"
It's not as simple as that.
A lot of users have limited space on their machines, and/or space they wish to conserve. The sheer amount of presets that the sync ends up downloading/copying is a lot. It's easily overwhelming after a while, and it's the reason I don't use it.
I'm not on 24/7, and I don't exactly socialize with every user. There'd be about... 5? Give or take, user's presets that I'd actually want to see. Everything else is unnecessary fluff.
And it would be the same for a lot of users. No one is friends with everyone. Not to mention, some users upload their presets and you never see them again. xD

So yeah, increased download size + it keeps downloading more files, it's not ideal, especially for a relatively small game like this.
I think it's good as it is, an option.

((Side note: you can wear your presets without looking like marshmallows. Those are for missing markings. To users without your preset, they will see whatever you designed the preset-less version to look like.))

It's not all bad though, I do think some type of installer setup would be beneficial for some people when it comes to the sync.

Offline kiaz1st

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 44
  • The Rogue
    • kiaz1st
    • kiaz1st
    • kiaz1st
    • View Profile
    • Kiaz Site
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2016, 08:37:37 pm »
Thanks Ruby! I didn't know that the preset sync took up so much space, I can defiantly understand why people wouldn't want it, especially if they weren't going to use it.
I wouldn't add it to the update unless they found a way to reduce the amount of space it took up over time, or maybe if they made it as an option.
But ye, thanks for informing me on that one, super helpful.

Offline Ruby1234

• Mean Tutorial Queen
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 297
  • aka Phloxenfree.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2016, 02:35:13 am »
No worries!
I do like the idea of making it more accessible for some people who may not know how to set it up.

The preset size limit is a reasonable 2MB.
All it takes is for 512 presets to be uploaded (at that limit), and that's already 1GB of your space eaten up. (1024MB = 1GB)
It wouldn't take very many users to reach that amount, considering many users upload at least 2, sometimes more.
That brings it down to roughly only 256 users that would need to use the sync in order to claim a gigabyte of your space.
I'm not certain what the stats are on how many users there are though.

It's just that not everyone has that kind of space, or is willing to sacrifice it to something like FeralHeart.

How I wish things were simpler... xD
Would be nice to see people's creativity and work without having to lose space, but, alas, nothing is for free once again. xc