Poll

Which solution appeals to you?

The staff should add the required files in a new community patch.
6 (46.2%)
The special effect files should be downloaded via Preset Sync.
3 (23.1%)
Presets with special effects that crash should not be uploaded to the Preset Sync.
0 (0%)
There should be a separate Sync to upload any effect files and presets that use them.
1 (7.7%)
I don't want special effects to be used at all if they cause crashing.
0 (0%)
The current situation is fine.
1 (7.7%)
I don't have Preset Sync / I don't experience crashing.
2 (15.4%)
I propose a different solution (write it down below in the replies).
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Author Topic: Preset Special Effects and Crashing  (Read 2094 times)

Lucius

Preset Special Effects and Crashing
« on: October 04, 2017, 03:27:14 pm »
If this topic is in the wrong place, please feel free to move it. Thank you.

Alright, so this has been on my mind for a while now. I've attempted an outlined preset three months ago and found that the extra material files aren't exported with the preset. The preset still requires and depends on them though. So when/if you remove these extra files from anywhere in your FH folders, the preset will crash. As soon as I logged in or tried to access any feature where my preset would be seen, the game would freeze until I deleted the file.

In light of this, I have begun work on a program that would allow users to insert extra files into their .fhp file, and that did fix the issue, so the problem was the lack of access to the required files. The program still has kinks and other stuff to work out, which is why I didn't release it yet.

However, as of currently, it seems that presets with an outline cause crashing when people without those files attempt to view them. It makes sense logically; the preset needs extra files to work and the files aren't there. There isn't anything that tells the preset to skip the effect if the files aren't there, so it encounters an impasse and the game stops working.

This will naturally cause a few issues in the game, especially if we're going to consider the impact on players. We have a few choices here:

1. The staff should add the required files in a new community patch.
Probably the best solution would be to have the staff make a new game installation with the files included. This would still present a minor issue to those who aren't aware of a new patch or game pack.

2. The special effect files should be downloaded via Preset Sync.
The second best solution; the preset sync would automatically download all of the required files for the special effects. This would fix the problem for the people most affected by it.

3. Presets with special effects that crash should not be uploaded to the Preset Sync.
A more restrictive solution, it would involve disallowing people to upload their presets if they include special effects. There wouldn't really be a way to enforce this other than monitoring in-game.

4. There should be a separate Sync to upload any effect files and presets that use them.
A solution that entails creating a separate "Preset Sync" where users upload their custom effect files and presets that use them. User will have to rename their effect files to something like "Cel_Shading_username_1" in both the preset .mat file and in the folder, to prevent overriding effects.

5. I don't want special effects to be used at all if they cause crashing.
The very limiting ("no fun allowed") solution. Again, no proper enforcement other than constant monitoring.

6. The current situation is fine.
The current situation is fine; whoever doesn't want to inadvertently crash should download the files or get rid of preset sync and whoever wants to have special effects should be free to do so.

7. I don't have Preset Sync / I don't experience crashing.
I don't experience this problem; if you downloaded a preset with special effects, then deleted the extra files from your computer and don't experience crashing, please reply and explain your situation. It would be great to see if maybe the crashing isn't because of the extra files after all.

8. I propose a different solution (write it down below in the replies).
I have a different idea that I think would be better and I'd like to share in the replies below.

It'd be great to get your input on this issue and how you feel about this, so please don't feel like your opinion is useless or inadequate.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 03:54:52 pm by Lucius »

Offline teanovai

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 24
  • . care for a spot of tea?
    • teanovai
    • View Profile
Re: Preset Special Effects and Crashing
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 03:35:04 pm »
i personally think that they should add the effects to the preset sync, or at least make another version of the preset sync with all of them downloaded for those with more powerful computers. i personally adore the outlined presets, and would love to use them more often, though of course that interferes with those who have the preset sync and don't have those files installed.

i don't think that they should be added to the community patch since there's quite a few players with some not great computers that already have issues playing the game with massive lag and all that, so they should, at the very least, make it optional.

signature by me | icon by raspbearies
my preset!

Lucius

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 03:48:28 pm »
I do agree that the effects are great fun to play around with. The only issue I would think of if the files were uploaded on the preset sync would be customization. The extra files contain different values for different functions, so some users might have a thick outline and others might have thin ones.

Maybe another solution could be to create a "Special Effect Files Sync" where users upload their special effect files (after renaming them to: Cel_Shading_username_1 in both the preset .mat file and in the folder, to prevent overriding effects) along with their preset files that include special effects.

Edit: Added new option in poll. Should be the only time the poll is edited, sorry for the inconvenience.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 03:59:27 pm by Lucius »

Offline Jango_Fett

• Solid Snake
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 134
  • rotten kind of cute
    • euralore
    • EmpressWolf
    • littlemisscancer
    • parahyena
    • LM_Cancer
    • View Profile
    • Picarto.tv
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 03:57:08 pm »
Hell yeah add it to the preset sync.

Didn't realize it wasn't even apart of it. Not to knock 'em but that seems like a bit of an oversight.

Even adding it as a patch really couldn't hurt.

i don't know nothing about mopeds
feral_cast.fhm
have a question? just ask - Rubricae#6972

Offline turtlies

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 61
  • loves to lurk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2017, 08:50:41 pm »
Interesting topic, I haven't really heard anyone discussing this before. I'm not quite sure how large some of the required files for special effect presets are as I haven't tried making one yet, but I personally think it'd work best if it were just added into the next patch. People who don't use them don't have to worry about them, but it still cuts down on some of the issues people without the files are facing. If not that, then I think adding it into the preset sync would be the next best option.

he/him
bro what if i put my feralheart cave next to yours.. bro what if they only had one flattened bush mesh to lay on and we had to share... haha just kidding... unless...?

Offline BlazeTheLioness

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 6
    • BlazeTheLioness
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2017, 08:17:25 pm »
i personally think that they should add the effects to the preset sync, or at least make another version of the preset sync with all of them downloaded for those with more powerful computers. i personally adore the outlined presets, and would love to use them more often, though of course that interferes with those who have the preset sync and don't have those files installed.

i don't think that they should be added to the community patch since there's quite a few players with some not great computers that already have issues playing the game with massive lag and all that, so they should, at the very least, make it optional.

Personally, I do believe it would be good to have the effects in the community patch. As you said, though, it could be optional, like the full & light installing options we already have in the game installer. The Full version could have the special effects applied to it, but the Light could work for slow computers and do not have them.

Lucius

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2017, 12:27:36 am »
It's nice to have people giving their thoughts on this, so thank you to everyone who voted and replied so far.

Interesting topic, I haven't really heard anyone discussing this before. I'm not quite sure how large some of the required files for special effect presets are as I haven't tried making one yet, but I personally think it'd work best if it were just added into the next patch.

All 3 files for the Cel Shading effect come down to about 12kb, excluding the preset material file.

Offline Vilivikhorith

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 8
  • \n\n\n\n
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2017, 10:37:39 pm »
When it comes to presets and materials, crashing is most likely in occur in one of two scenarios: the material was already defined elsewhere (Ogre::ItemIdentityException), or the material is missing and is not defined in any resource load path (usually gets you a Ogre::FileNotFoundException). Since the preset exporter does not include any additional files except for the preset_Nth.material and related files, the use of the import directive (inside the .material) to use special effects is causing others to try to import a file that doesn't exist in their install (CelShading.material is not exported with the preset!).

For maximum compatibility, I would suggest copying the entirety of CelShading.material into your preset_Nth.material file and renaming the effect materials (i.e. `material vv_CelShading {`) to avoid identity related crashes. This way, no one crashes from a missing file and installing the GPU shaders to see the outline is optional. Though, it would be somewhat neater if the .materials were included in a default install (you could probably import in the material file without fear of crashing).

I hope that does not sound too technical. :V
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 10:40:32 pm by Vilivikhorith »