Author Topic: A Few Issues (And My Personal Opinion)  (Read 1443 times)

Offline Houxe

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
    • Hokuala2
    • View Profile
A Few Issues (And My Personal Opinion)
« on: June 15, 2018, 04:39:11 am »
Alright, I'm going to start this off as bluntly and as quickly as possible.

Feral Heart is going down hill. And fast. Everything was fun and fine until the new update came. The changes the new update brought were drastic as it literally swept a lot of people off their feet. It was really unnecessary to change all of the maps and even blatantly get rid of some! Getting rid of some of the most iconic maps was truly not the best decision, many members role-played in these maps. It was easy to get to and it didn't lag like some of the new maps now.

One of the main maps that should have been rid of was Fluorite Plains. This was a huge map and there were so many role-plays based there. Even with all of the members there on a daily basis, it hardly ever lagged until you got to the bridge. The Grounds is really more like a useless waste of space. It's like another Cape of Distant Worlds that only connects to in-game maps. There are also no role-plays that happen there now either which really kills the game too. When you entered Fluorite Plains, pressed f3, and looked around the map, you'd be at awe at all of the role-plays going on. It'd inspire you to join them or even make your own.

Now don't get me wrong, the new maps are great, better even! But if they were connected to the good old Fluorite Plains, in iconic places where you could tell what each map was about (if it was a coast map, forest map, ocean map, etc.) it'd just make everything easier to handle. New players could explore and find hidden places which would make them want to continue playing. Fluorite Plains was a great place to get a grip on role-playing and now that it's gone... well the new map is just too small and holds too many people.

Now I know this is already long, but a good reviewer always give details! So lets got onto another problem. The registration. I know! I know! So many people have talked about this with complaints and quips about it. But if you've noticed in the past few months (years really) hardly any new players have joined up! But now that there's a delete account process, the registration should be open more often! My suggestion is to have it open four times a month for 4-5 hours. This way you could set up dates and times were registration will be open and people can tell their friends all about it. You won't get complaints about how people wanted to 'join sooner but it took forever for registration to open'. If anyone open's registration and sees that it's closed, you could put a little sign on the bottom showing the next dates that'll open.

That's my little piece on registration since it's been brought up to often. Now don't worry, we only have two more topics!

Groups. Now groups are great, members use them for role-plays very often and some even just use them for fun social interactions. But the group system leaves a more to be desired taste in almost everyone's mouth. Instead of just one leader/recruit, the owner of the group could appoint others to high positions in the group so they can recruit or kick people as well. There could be slots for this, say only four group 'staff' members and the owner. Now this would actually be much harder to input into the game but it would just make things that much easier for the members. They wouldn't need to make whole new accounts because they're worried someone might steal their accounts, which probably has a bunch of presets or custom maps and items on it. This would be very helpful and it wouldn't take up 'membership space' I suppose, so new people can join.

Lastly, I promise it's the last thing, we have the animations. I know this was supposed to be a fun, ran around as an animal game, but it's turned into a role-play game and everyone knows it. The animations should be changed to fit the the members needs. I know there are people out there who made their own animations and shared it to the other members. Sadly it's hard for new members to find these animations unless someone shows them links. And there is no 'best animation' to choose. It's a win and loose game really. There could be animations that both species could use and it wouldn't be tedious for the programmers or designers. To make it easier, there could also be added animations instead of completely changing the ones now.

And those are my pieces about the recent Feral Heart problems. I hope you guys like this and take this seriously, I've been playing this game for some years now and I really down want it to disappear from my and other players gaming world.

Offline Azurain

• 🍃🍃🍃🍃🍃
  • Member Of The Season
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 183
  • an actual forest gremlin
    • lark-bird
    • View Profile
Re: A Few Issues (And My Personal Opinion)
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 05:04:01 am »
Honestly, for most of your points, I think the upcoming patch may put our more restless players to...well...rest on the whole "FeralHeart is dying because of the update" thing. We gotta give this second patch a chance to see what happens as well!

The group thing would be an extremely neat idea as well. If that could be done, I'd love that feature to come in!

I totally agree on the animations. While you can download animations for yourself, I hope in the upcoming patch a new animation override is in store.

Offline Kuri

• Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 136
  • Foreboding evil harmless kitten.
    • dumbstuff4friends
    • channel/UCo42jgbLvEzkofpOin0_a4A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 08:59:34 am »
Like i've said before, if people can't adapt to maps, it's not the updates fault.  Its the people being inflexible.
But the registration being harder to catch open is a real drawback.
The Japanese concept of wabisabi:
The closest concept in english would be 'rustic'
They might have an old thing, one example is a favourite bowl or dish, it's broken, pieces are missing, why fix it?  With gold and pieces from other dishes?
"Because it was my favourite & I like it"

dollzie

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 10:53:21 am »
Like i've said before, if people can't adapt to maps, it's not the updates fault.  Its the people being inflexible.
But the registration being harder to catch open is a real drawback.

^ this.

@hokuala2 i agree with everything except your points about the maps. feralheart was dying long before the update came. when i had joined around 2012-2013 you could barely hold a conversation in bonfire because of how fast the chat moved and the amount of lag. towards 2016 there were times when there was hardly anyone around. yeah, the lack of lag was great, but it was concerning how little people there were in the map that used to be one of the most active. as for fluorite, i think everyone misses stone bridge, but the rest of the map was unecessarily large and quite barren. the new maps are a huge improvement from that, there isn't a single map that was added that i would call barren, and i would say they're far more inspiring as far as group creation goes, and i think the percentage of groups using private maps has actually dropped since the update.

Offline WolfQueen

• Onion Queen
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 117
  • feralheart's malignant tumor
    • jengajangle
    • jenqatower
    • jengatower
    • jengatowerr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2018, 05:57:33 pm »
the new maps are a huge improvement from that, there isn't a single map that was added that i would call barren, and i would say they're far more inspiring as far as group creation goes, and i think the percentage of groups using private maps has actually dropped since the update.
that's not true... the maps (update or not) have little effect on roleplays and people has been going wherever there is space.
as far as i observed more people have been using maps since the update. i don't think it's the update's fault though. the community learned more about using maps.

big updates in every game will make people upset, and that's okay! it's no one's fault that the game is "dying". people will leave and new ones will come in, replace them and enjoy the update. he problem is that there's a lack of opportunity for players to be replaced. this is where the registration issue comes in.
i've talked about it time and time again so i don't want to sound like a broken record, but the main reason why the game's population is decreasing is because of how volatile open registration is. it's not the update and it's not the players who happen to be upset because their favorite places are gone.

Offline Valar.Morghulis

• “Sometimes before we can usher in the new, the old must be put to rest.“
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 115
  • The many-faced God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2018, 06:57:23 pm »
These are some very nice suggestions and ideas you have! I agree with a lot of them and I actually didn't really find your post like offensive or anything, It's genuinely good!!
I'm going to reply to some parts of the post, just because I felt the need to say my opinion on these things that you talked about. Very nice post in general! :D

Feral Heart is going down hill. And fast. Everything was fun and fine until the new update came. The changes the new update brought were drastic as it literally swept a lot of people off their feet. It was really unnecessary to change all of the maps and even blatantly get rid of some! Getting rid of some of the most iconic maps was truly not the best decision, many members role-played in these maps. It was easy to get to and it didn't lag like some of the new maps now.

One of the main maps that should have been rid of was Fluorite Plains. This was a huge map and there were so many role-plays based there. Even with all of the members there on a daily basis, it hardly ever lagged until you got to the bridge. The Grounds is really more like a useless waste of space. It's like another Cape of Distant Worlds that only connects to in-game maps. There are also no role-plays that happen there now either which really kills the game too. When you entered Fluorite Plains, pressed f3, and looked around the map, you'd be at awe at all of the role-plays going on. It'd inspire you to join them or even make your own.

Now don't get me wrong, the new maps are great, better even! But if they were connected to the good old Fluorite Plains, in iconic places where you could tell what each map was about (if it was a coast map, forest map, ocean map, etc.) it'd just make everything easier to handle. New players could explore and find hidden places which would make them want to continue playing. Fluorite Plains was a great place to get a grip on role-playing and now that it's gone... well the new map is just too small and holds too many people.

As far as I would usually argue with this, I sadly cannot do that completely! I do believe that a lot of players stopped playing after the update. But to be honest, some of us (like me and many more) just grew up.. We don't play FH that often because we're busy with ''adult'' things in our lives. Most of us attend college or work, or even both. It's the reality. But yeah, I can't say that I DON'T miss old maps. I do, I really do, they were fun to play around and they were BIG! Even if Fluorite Plains was a big and mostly empty map, It was my favorite! And South Pole! I mean, SP was literally EMPTY but yet we all hang out in it, all the time! I do think that maybe these maps could be ''upgraded'' (added a lot of new objects, but not COMPLETELY modified like what happened to Ficho Tunnels).

Now I know this is already long, but a good reviewer always give details! So lets got onto another problem. The registration. I know! I know! So many people have talked about this with complaints and quips about it. But if you've noticed in the past few months (years really) hardly any new players have joined up! But now that there's a delete account process, the registration should be open more often! My suggestion is to have it open four times a month for 4-5 hours. This way you could set up dates and times were registration will be open and people can tell their friends all about it. You won't get complaints about how people wanted to 'join sooner but it took forever for registration to open'. If anyone open's registration and sees that it's closed, you could put a little sign on the bottom showing the next dates that'll open.

This is a really interesting idea to be honest. Not sure how they would be able to do it, or if it's even possible, but it's really nice and less confusing for some; younger gamers, unlike the registration we have now.

Lastly, I promise it's the last thing, we have the animations. I know this was supposed to be a fun, ran around as an animal game, but it's turned into a role-play game and everyone knows it. The animations should be changed to fit the the members needs. I know there are people out there who made their own animations and shared it to the other members. Sadly it's hard for new members to find these animations unless someone shows them links. And there is no 'best animation' to choose. It's a win and loose game really. There could be animations that both species could use and it wouldn't be tedious for the programmers or designers. To make it easier, there could also be added animations instead of completely changing the ones now.

Yep, new animations would be pretty awesome! And I'm pretty sure that It can be done, because as you said, people already create their own animations.

https://linktr.ee/Obsxura
Profile by Cittrus-fruit | Signature by Mistrel-Fox