Author Topic: Never Be The Same  (Read 2080 times)

Offline danysaurus

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 9
  • hamburg
    • danysaurus
    • View Profile
Never Be The Same
« on: August 15, 2022, 03:57:35 pm »
I think animal roleplay games are sort of dead in the modern age now. Remember how popular ofh was? Anything similar to that now seems to be quite inactive, or extremely toxic as a result. I find FH interesting in that people are still making an attempt of keeping it alive. Just not in terms of gameplay itself, which is extremely different to how other games go about it. There just doesn't seem to be much interest anymore from anyone, even the most dedicated of the community, disregarding existence of staff members.

This might just be that I've decided to detach from the DISCORD communities of many games considering the amount of toxic behavior I've sustained to where I'm simply done. But I believe the forums can be used, now that I've taken the time to observe.
to be added

Offline Oddonelynx

• Tuesday is applesauce day, but I am also a Jovial Bobcat!(Not lynx)
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 110
  • Hyenas deserve less hate.
    • BOTOFan
    • channel/UC5lDa5s7GLRWQHoH70ne34Q
    • View Profile
Re: Never Be The Same
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2022, 12:10:45 am »
Discord is sort of boring anyways, there's no cool signatures on there. I've seen the decline of animal MMOS, I've always wondered why that happened. Are people more judgmental?

Art by QuietMacaroni

Offline Telluric

• the future is bulletproof, the aftermath is secondary, it's time to do it now and do it loud, killjoys? make some noise!
  • Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 78
  • -cue live studio audience groan
    • telluricdog
    • artelluric
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2022, 12:38:04 am »
yea fh, fhu and impressive title spin offs really feel unfortunately like products of their time in the eyes of a lot of people.
i think a lot of the decline comes down to people getting tired of the culture of "rp with this pack/clan/whatever" for a day or two and then nobody...ever logs back in after that and the people who do never seem to catch up with the others- that was a thing that happened to me a lot back in the hundreds-of-people-online-a-day era when i was first playing the game.
the "everybody says they'll be there but in the end you know they won't" mentality only really changed when discord became a part of the scene in like.. 2017 i wanna say.
and there actually was an interesting balance there for a little bit iirc where there were groups that had discords but still logged in more often than not to actually rp- because of custom maps and the utilization of presets to make things more immersive and etc.

but a lot of it moved to discord and as you said a lot of it got toxic to the point of being unbearable.

idk what about these games with -no ranking system -no item value system -no competitive edge of anything brought in people who are ridiculously power hungry and will do anything to keep said power. i really don't get it. the goal of the game is to sit. and talk. it's mind boggling to me how people still think it's the perfect hub to act just a tad deranged. i'm sorry you've had bad experiences with these types of people in the silly little 3D animal chatroom game, i'm right there with ya.

i definitely agree that forums are sort of this dying art to be both a community hub and one of the best ways to categorize resources for a game. truth be told i like forums more than i like wikis though i don't really know if that's an uncommon mentality to have these days or not.
they say the world is endin'

well maybe it's about time!
don't ask about the yellow flower
see you, space cowboy..

Offline TheEarthSpirit

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 10
    • View Profile
    • Twitch
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2022, 03:22:58 am »
Yeah i know what you mean.

Personally, I wanna try to keep this game alive. Actually Planning on trying to breathe life into it. I got too much love for it to let it die on me. Tbh I think the issue may be that not a lot of people know of games like FH. People are too hooked on places to get games like Steam or Microsoft. And just have no idea where to find it or if it even exists.

Plus you just don't hear about games anymore that are not made by small game creators. Less mainstream games like FH because you really have to dig to find them.

I've legit played games Similar to FH on Roblox however they have a lot of people in them. (Example is WarriorCats: Ultimid Edition)

Offline DylanCheetah

• The Ice Prince
  • Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 73
  • Stand up for what is right!
    • DylanCheetah
    • channel/UCqd67NThdXJwpXimwYb3kaQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2022, 07:32:11 pm »
Well actually, there are still plenty of small successful games (look at all the indie titles out there). But you are definitely right about the fact that most successful games are distributed via massive app stores and FH isn't. The only problem is that is costs money to list a game on an app store like the Microsoft Store or Google Play. However, there are indeed free app stores like itch.io which charge no fees on free games and are still relatively popular. In fact, there are many large games that got their start on itch.io

Offline TheEarthSpirit

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 10
    • View Profile
    • Twitch
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2022, 10:42:46 am »
Well actually, there are still plenty of small successful games (look at all the indie titles out there). But you are definitely right about the fact that most successful games are distributed via massive app stores and FH isn't. The only problem is that is costs money to list a game on an app store like the Microsoft Store or Google Play. However, there are indeed free app stores like itch.io which charge no fees on free games and are still relatively popular. In fact, there are many large games that got their start on itch.io

Yeah, this is why I made the Unofficial Social Media accounts for. I'm trying to pull in more people. Cause sense I've seen alot of intrest in games like FH to begin with. Just not alot of people know how to dig or where to find games like FH.
Idk if the game could be posted on itch.oi but mainly saying is. Other than these big game places like Steam, I know itch.oi is not big as those but.
Some have no idea where to look for games like FH. We have this forum. But if you have no idea where to go looking. Which most don't. You won't end up running up on FH.
Which these days can cause issues with people joining the game.

I'm not saying we should go to these download stores and post the game there. I'm just saying rn that's 1 of a few issues.

Offline Kouvinxx

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 30
  • TKC for life!
    • http://kouvinxx.deviantart.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2022, 05:33:43 pm »
I still sit on FH most days. I still enjoy the game even though not many people hop on. It doesn't really bother me... I have many friends that I've made through FH and I love going online and sitting with them and exploring with them. I don't think FH is doing too well at the moment because it hasn't been updated for a while but I think that's about to change. I'm still interested to see where FH will go even if it's... nowhere.

Offline Kingservant

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 2
  • Ascension Island Trail Guide™
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2022, 07:22:39 am »
Considering the tumbleweed state of the forums right now, I hope nobody minds if I necro this post. XD

I wonder if part of the reason for the decline of games like this is the crazy speed of evolution in gaming culture.  Video games are relatively new, all things considered, and especially 3D games.  FeralHeart came out in 2011, and do you know what else did?  Minecraft.  And just think about how much things have changed since Minecraft came out!

Kids who were 12 when Feralheart was created didn't grow up with the kind of advanced, aggressively-marketed games that kids today grow up with.  I do think that wonderful things can come out of video games, but part of me wonders whether or not modern games have stifled kids' imaginations.  Minecraft and Roblox and things like that are great open-ended fun, but a lot of other games... I don't know.  Any thoughts?
"My King is a sovereign King. No means of measure can define His limitless love. He’s enduringly strong. He’s entirely sincere. He’s eternally steadfast. He’s imperially powerful. He’s impartially merciful. He's God's Son. Do you know Him?"

-- Dr. S. M. Lockridge