Author Topic: The Endless Forest Thread to save derailment  (Read 11920 times)

Offline Raz.

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 28
  • aka Raz ingame.
    • View Profile
    • My DA page
The Endless Forest Thread to save derailment
« on: April 25, 2011, 10:06:27 am »
...of the rant thread |D

Here's a thread where you can discuss the game The Endless Forest.

Some of you may know it already and I'm aware that some have played it via the rant thread.

This is the game where you run around a forest as a deer with a human face, you can alter your appearance by using pelt spells, mask spells and antler spells. There's also no chatbox. And the whole game is free.

Here's a link to the official site: http://tale-of-tales.com/TheEndlessForest/

I'm an experienced TEF player, having played the game for just over 3 years. Though I've faded away from the game for several reasons and generally don't play anymore.

But I still have my deer bios on the Community Site collecting dust and are here if anyone wants to see who I played as: http://www.endlessforest.org/community/diaries/draak Scroll down a bit and they're there.

AND YES we know, the human faces are creepy |D

Offline Kyugima

• Dovahkiin
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 182
  • Koo Koo Kachoo
    • View Profile
    • DropJaw
Re: The Endless Forest Thread to save derailment
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 10:22:02 am »
  I think it gives them personality, the human faces.

Once I was playing, left my deer just laying somewhere, so I could go off and do something, and came back to two little fawn things laying deside my deer... I was like o.0 did she give birth while I was gone or something? So I got up and started moving around, just running and jumping like I always do, and they got up and followed... It kind of creeped me out at first, to have two little stalkers, but I got used to it XD

please click here! Help me raise my pokemon!
Signature: Kyugima, Rimfrost, Deafosho

Offline Raz.

• Finest Floof
  • aka Raz ingame.
    • View Profile
    • My DA page
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 10:37:44 am »
Yeah, I don't mind them either. It's just that when I see TEF pop up in places you see people say stuff like "D: CREEPY HUMAN FACE"

Aww xDDD
|D I always found that fawns liked to follow my anti-social deer and my evilnotnicemean deer. I'd be like "D: Nooooo you don't know who you're dealing with D8"
Fawn mobs are usually amusing/adorable :D

Offline Avani

• Slytherin
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 241
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 10:52:37 am »
I have tried this! :3

TealSkeletore

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 12:39:17 pm »
I played it on and off a bit for roughly.. I don't know, two years?

I really liked it, but the community kind of sucked. All the 'popular' people got heaps of attention for almost nothing at all, while others were virtually ignored. I know it sounds REALLY whiney but it's TRUE. And it's one of the biggest faults of TEF. It would be a great place if it weren't for some people there, or rather, their reactions and attitudes.

I had another problem where I kept making new characters but didn't really do anything with them as I barely got chances to play. I kept getting bored and making new ones. It started stressing me out so I kind of.. poofed from there xD I guess I kind of made the game lose its charm.

I didn't really have any good friends there, I mostly felt like just an annoying noob to people. I only had one close friend there who I met on IT a long time ago.

But I really really enjoyed it while I was there, I liked the game, I liked my characters, I guess I kind of just ruined it for myself and I felt a bit lonely I guess, since none of my other friends wanted to play a game without a chat box which is a awful shame and is a bit narrow-minded.

Offline Sarine

• ~The Mysterious Cupcake or TMC~
  • Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 57
    • View Profile
    • Meep Home
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 12:51:13 pm »
It's a good game, with good graphics but.. I don't know, it seems kind of dull to me, I mean what can you do there apart from running around? You can't chat, you can't RP, you can't do any quests, so what? xD

I played it and got bored of it after 2 days. xP I didn't like the community at all so that didn't keep me from leaving either. It is a good game and has great graphics, but yeah, it gets boring quickly.. for me at least. :B

TealSkeletore

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 12:59:10 pm »
^you're supposed to RP with the actions.

I don't understand how some people don't pick that up ._.

Offline Sarine

• ~The Mysterious Cupcake or TMC~
  • Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 57
    • View Profile
    • Meep Home
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 02:56:45 pm »
There are not enough actions to RP.. Or whatever, I don't see how RPing with actions can be like RPing with a chatbox. You can't do a lot of things..

Offline Raz.

• Finest Floof
  • aka Raz ingame.
    • View Profile
    • My DA page
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2011, 03:11:36 pm »
I really liked it, but the community kind of sucked. All the 'popular' people got heaps of attention for almost nothing at all, while others were virtually ignored. I know it sounds REALLY whiney but it's TRUE. And it's one of the biggest faults of TEF. It would be a great place if it weren't for some people there, or rather, their reactions and attitudes.
I completely agree.
The things that people explode over are stupid. The things that people make drama over are stupid.
This one time I saw User A get crabby at User B because they had a similar CSS layout on their deer bio. So User A goes and gets their little "mafia" and gangs up on User B :\. On a related note, I really hate how M and A enabled CSS on the Community Site, some people use it well, others abuse it and make your eyes bleed with MS Paint Pink and Yellow coloured bios. And then of course there's the drama that happens with what I mentioned above.

There's still the very rare decent user on that site, but most of the decent oldies have up and left/dissappeared. I can understand why, the community has changed so drastically. When I first started there were absolutely no scene emo deer-that-don't-even-look-like-deer. Pretty much our deer were just...us XD that game was so stress free back then.
Finding decent newbies in this game now is incredibly hard. Most of the users that are on there now make me want to kick something. Their heads are so high up their backsides due to their popularity that they think everything they do is right. Or their attitudes are appauling. It's community doesn't seem "nice" anymore :C

Another thing on that site is if you can't draw, you're pretty much screwed in the popularity area. It's sad ._.

I do like the uniqueness of the no chat, it forces you to get creative with the actions XD. Course you can kind of add 'chat' to the game by using msn. It's true that it's limited, but people seem to manage. I know on the Forum there's a kind of "dictionary" of action combos that people use to portray what they want/want to do, most users have a section on their bio that explains what action combo means what.
I think the problem is that most people are too used to having chatboxes in MMORPGs and let them do all the work for their characters.
TEF also isn't really supposed to have a "point" so to speak. The official site even says something along the lines of the game having no goals and such.

I miss crazy button mash parties |D and Peacocking sleeping players. I'd have so much fun ninjaing around casting the peacock set on unsuspecting sleeping deer >_> <_< >_>

It's so so easy to make characters in that game, if you keep looking through pictos and find a nice one you eventually turn it into a character |D. I started with one...and ended up with 6 official deer and two secret ones. I cherish my pile of Gen 1 pictos. I don't really like the Gen 2 ones, they look so...lacking.

^ Now those were the days. 26th March 2008.

Offline Kyugima

• Dovahkiin
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 182
  • Koo Koo Kachoo
    • View Profile
    • DropJaw
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 03:28:43 pm »
I thought my picto was pretty good, then one day I got on and there were like six or seven other deer that had the same... After that I kinda felt let down, and I want to change it >.> No clue how to though... Or if I even can.

please click here! Help me raise my pokemon!
Signature: Kyugima, Rimfrost, Deafosho