Author Topic: Stolen Art (IMPORTANT)  (Read 33015 times)

Offline Kayo

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 6
  • Wolf in sheeps clothing is more than a warning
    • View Profile
Re: Stolen Art (IMPORTANT)
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2011, 01:26:12 am »
I agree with this completely I just hope it's not maybe a child who doesn't understand about copyright and thought it was ok to use them or maybe someone uploaded it to some where else so they could use the image in there sig like they upload it to a site which then has the IMG code that they copy and paste but they didn't say that it was them that uploaded the pic to the other site in the first place which makes them look like they stole it? What I'm trying to say is it could be a missunderstanding but if it is not then i fully agree and who ever stole said art should be banned or some thing >:(

Just something that I thought could happen.

Kayo-

Offline SrsBusiness

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 5
  • Howdy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2011, 01:31:55 am »
Art thieves = derp.

Offline Redlinelies

• The FeralHeart Guru
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 792
  • Modoru Pride
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2011, 03:57:15 am »
Don't bash me for this, but this is my opinion, (not that i have any interest in stealing anyone's art, i have my own imagination) but.. when you make something and put it on the internet for the entire world to see, chances are, your idea is going to be 'stolen'. It's kind of hard to stop people from doing this, because if someone has a good idea, someone else going to take it..That's just how the world goes 'round.. If people don't want their art stolen, they shouldn't post it on the internet.. that's just how i feel :/

~Aroxy

And I 2nd that, and it was like it was taken from my head. If someone steal your art or any other sort of work it might be lazy and it wont get you respected exactly if people find out. But it's not like we can stop the art stealing completely.

However though. If someone actually report to the mods about stolen art and it turns out to be true. We'd have to contact the people since the rules says no art stealing.

To be honest, this is abit of what goes around comes around if you ask me.
Former community manager of FeralHeart

Offline Aroxy

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2011, 04:28:22 am »
Wish there was a button for me to like your post over and over again, Red

~Aroxy

Offline Motoko

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 5
  • Augen auf- Ich komme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2011, 05:31:03 am »
If it's art of a character, or the art has been passed around until there is no possible way of finding and contacting the owner, there's no point, so popular characters and whatnot are usually clipped into avatars, I have yet to see Production I.G, Bandai, or anyone else give much of a hoot about forum avatars. Please be more specific, otherwise, don't at all. YOU can't say what happens with those avatars (I got mine off an internet gallery somewhere, There was no listed owner) ONLY the owner of the artwork can, and if you post it ON THE INTERNET, WITHOUT A watermark, EXPECT your artwork to get passed around if it's good enough.

I'm not claiming I made it, THAT is not art theft, Claiming I made it would be, and i'm not, I give credit to the respectful owner of the image.

You as an individual (or a group, even) can't stop this, so sorry, cruel fact of life, it happens.
Caught quicksand grip
Pull me in
Whisper faith in sickness

TealSkeletore

« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2011, 05:45:18 am »
That doesn't mean that we'll tolerate it.

Common pictures, from animes, movies, and such are fine. However a personal artist wouldn't like it much if their art was used without permission. Plus, those pictures which people steal usually DO have a watermark or a signature on them. That's because the best artists have the common sense to protect their work from being stolen and claimed as someone else's.

Crash

« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2011, 06:23:04 am »
First of all, i do NOT want to add fire to this topic, but i just couldn't resist saying this.
My opinion about this? I say it's ridicilous.

Artwork is used as icons and sigs on the internet all the time. And nobody "steals" them. Nobody says they made them ( except if they added fonts, styles and other things, they say they did the edit ).
Artists know it. And they know it good. They should be happy that their art is appreciated and liked, as really, who'll use an icon they do not like? Or put something not-likeable in their sig?
In my opinion, this is a pointless rule. Right now it makes FH to be the only site with this, most ridicilous rule ever. No, don't get me wrong. I'm not a bad guy trolling here.
I am an artist myself ( was even forced to use own art as icon ), and i know what art theft is. I have been art theft'd so many times that i can hardly count them all, or at the matter, remember, as i don't care anymore :/
In my opinion it's a way how people compliment. Nobody steals things they don't like, right? Right.

Anyway. My question is, why was this even started?
Right now, the way you put it, means we can't use anything we didn't make. Neither can artwork from Lion King be used then, as it's property of Disney, and means everybody should contact Disney and ask, "Hello, can i cut out a picture from screenshot and use it?"
How is THAT any different? As i doubt you guys actually contacted Disney and asked if it's okay to use THEIR artwork. Official doesn't mean take-able. So right now i see YOU stealing. Omg, call the copyright police!!!
*Ahem* Sorry for that. Just making my point clear :/
I know you guys are doing a GOOD thing, caring about art theft being punished and all, but this is waaay over the top. I don't support art theft, but i do not support this, either.
Plus, it's not like you can contact EVERY artist. My current Skype icon is cut out from one amazing art work i found in my saved Rockman arts folder. I know who drew it and all, as they are my favorite artist, but there is a problem. I found it on Pixiv. Pixiv means Japan. Obviously, my favorite artist does NOT speak English. So how do i ask them now? :I
All i can do is use the icon, advertise and share their beautiful artwork with the world, as many don't even know what a Pixiv is.
And yes, icons and sigs do stand mainly for advertisement. If i like yours, i ask, where you got it, you link me, and i can then appreciate the artists amazing work, too.
Now how is THAT bad in any way? I am sure artists who spent hours or even days on art feel happy when their work is appreciated by the masses, not only that one person who stalks their gallery, as others have no idea that artist even exists.
Sure, the ones that do NOT enjoy this say it. And ask to take off their work. A good fan always listens, so where IS the problem?

Sorry if i sound like some bad guy to you, but this is my opinion. And it's legal to have it, as i came up with it. Amazing, no? <w<
*Ahem* Yeah, sorry if i offened anyone. It's just sad to see pointless dramas like this.
And i hope i didn't bring more fire to here than it had before *sigh*
These topics always cause a lot of hate, drama and depressions :/

*agrees with Motoko*
Plus i'm offened now :c
You said i lack common sense *sob*

TealSkeletore

« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2011, 06:27:39 am »
Crash - read my post right above yours.

And FYI, this rule is implemented on other websites too.

Crash

« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2011, 06:48:50 am »
I did read it. Before i posted mine, even.

The part, "common pictures from this and that are ok" is false.
No matter how you put it, that ALSO counts as theft.
As it's the copyrighted property of whoever owns the actual title/ product.
Saying it's ok is the same as making Pokemon sprite recolors/ edits copyrighted.
While in fact, it's all theft, but people don't realize it and even sell them on certain sites.
So it is very wrong to allow use of copyrighte materials of ANY kind if such rule is made.

I'd like to know at least one another, then.
So far i haven't been lucky to find at least one :I

Offline Redlinelies

• The FeralHeart Guru
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 792
  • Modoru Pride
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2011, 07:29:45 am »
I understand you crash, And I don't feel that you added any flame to this topic.

However though. I think the main reason why it's there is because some art are directly from the games or related to it. And alot of people know eachother in the community. I agree it can be silly. But if some member drew some art, it gets used here on the boards by someone else. And they don't like it. I think they should have the right to have control over their art atleast here. Atleast, that's why I belive the rule was made in the first place?

We are not trying to have some sort of "Stop the art stealing on the interwebzz" policy. :3

I think it might be easy to read this rule overweight to one side =

If you don't like people using art without permission and see someone saying the rule is weird. It might be easy to think they just don't care. Or if you think that this rule is silly and see someone post that they think art theft is serious. It might be easy to think they are trying to prevent something that's impossible to control.

As long as you keep your manners while talking things out there will be no problem.

I do think this rule is abit weird. But it's there and I will have to follow it. But it's not like I feel that I need to worry about it personally if it's there. xD
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 07:33:51 am by Red »
Former community manager of FeralHeart