Author Topic: Stolen Art (IMPORTANT)  (Read 32950 times)

Crash

Re: Stolen Art (IMPORTANT)
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2011, 08:50:40 am »
Ah, good then. I'm always afraid to join on such topics, as i tend to mess up with saying things in a nice manner, and it makes it worse even if i did not mean to worsen the thing at all xD;
Bad english grammar knowings are bad.

In that case, yes. But then again, the actual artist can quetly contact the "thief", ask their reasons for the use, and nicely ask to take down. At least, that is my way pf sorting theft issues. I do not enjoy everybody bashing the poor person. While they did a bad thing, they still have their reasons. Talking out nicely always is better than bringing up the fire of hate.
So technically, the user can talk it out on their own, and if it doesn't help, only then ask for help of mods. No need to get the whole community attack that one person. As now that definitely would happen.

Well, it would be hard to get rolling xD
It's impossible to keep a track of everything on the interwebs.

That's when taken from both sides. But theres also the middle.

Indeed. Knowing how to talk out things the nice and quet way always is a key to successful and positive result :3

Hmm, true. Rule is a rule, no matter how ridicilous or weird :/
But i am pretty sure FH would be just fine without it, too. Most of people are mainly from TLKFAA, and that place is full of cool people and has a nice community, with few art theft happening, as much as i recall ( sadly got on the FAA art theft'd people list, too xD ). So i think the peeps could easily just talk it out, without getting this serious.
But hey, thats just me and my opinion |D;

Offline Redlinelies

• The FeralHeart Guru
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 792
  • Modoru Pride
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2011, 09:07:00 am »
In that case, yes. But then again, the actual artist can quetly contact the "thief", ask their reasons for the use, and nicely ask to take down. At least, that is my way pf sorting theft issues. I do not enjoy everybody bashing the poor person. While they did a bad thing, they still have their reasons. Talking out nicely always is better than bringing up the fire of hate.

Ofcourse. But I think in most cases the artist actually asks first. And if that's not enough, then they can turn to a mod to help them out. Cause if this rule says bash on everyone that uses someone elses art. Then I got this whole rule wrong lol.

Are you sure about the TLKFAA though? I think it's rather wide throughout youtube and DA aswell. But yarr. A result from calm conversations is just what's needed.

However though, I'm probably about to talk more about the rule than I actually know. xD I think I got my own view out of this atleast.

Former community manager of FeralHeart

Offline Painful

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 11
    • vencentio
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2011, 09:56:00 am »
Yes, if you put art on the internet there is a risk of people taking it- however, that's no excuse for art theft. You work hard to make a piece of art, and somebody steals it. Nobody has the right to say: Ohhh well, you put it there so they can use it because it's on the internet!

I have a habit of going on Youtube and watching AMVs of Warriorcats people make out of images off Deviantart, and all they credit using it 'found on deviantart and photobucket' and when you complain about creditting the artists, they get annoyed saying 'But I cant go around every artist and ask permission to use it!' or, 'It's an old video!' or even, what annoys me most, the excuse of 'But it's on the interent so I'm ALLOWED to use it.' Sometimes asking them to credit gives them an idea of what they are doing and they usually stop taking art without permission, but that's only less them 10% of the time.

...Come on guys. Anyone who even disagrees that art theft is wrong is silly, how would you like it if you worked on something really hard, spending hours drawing it, for somebody to steal it. Especially if they claim it's their own.

/endrant

TealSkeletore

« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2011, 11:00:16 am »
'But it's on the interent so I'm ALLOWED to use it.'

lol I hate that excuse. It's basically the same as saying "It's in an art gallery, I'm allowed to steal it!"

ColonelHamilton

« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2011, 11:24:02 am »
Ugh, other people don't get to decide whether or not an artist should care about art theft, or if they should be happy to see you stealing their art or whatever.  You don't get to decide that.

While using characters from movies and such is technically copyright infringement a lot of the time, it works differently on a forum.  If you have a Jack Sparrow avatar, you're marking yourself as a PotC fan and just about everyone recognizes the source.  If you make an avatar from a piece of pirate artwork from someone's personal online gallery, however, you are not advertising,  promoting, or supporting a fandom or property.  You're taking a cool design someone else made and using it to decorate your posts.

Using stolen art in sigs and avatars isn't the end of the world, but it's usually better to avoid getting into that kind of mess.

TealSkeletore

« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2011, 11:47:38 am »
^Really good way to put it, thank you Ham. I agree 100% >w<

RealBalto

« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2011, 12:19:00 pm »
Someone told me Orion got caught for stealing art.
Here http://feral-heart.com/index.php?option=com_jfusion&Itemid=2&lang=en&jfile=index.php&topic=686.0
Did he steal art?

Offline Zarago

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 47
  • Officially left.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2011, 12:38:35 pm »
Alright, I'll keep an eye out.

Offline Painful

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 11
    • vencentio
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2011, 03:40:18 pm »
@Zeke. Yes, I do beleive they did. After digging around on Deviantart, I found a character named Orion that looks exactly the same, drawn in the same style. The original image I think the artist put into storage, so I was unable to find the exact image.

http://aluminemsiren.deviantart.com/gallery/?q=orion#/d1dyxgq there's the link.

Offline Aroxy

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2011, 04:15:07 pm »
Why would anyone go through the trouble of searching around a website with millions of images just to find one that looks exactly the same that someone put on a website, and then go and have the entire forums bash that person for it.

That sounds so rediculous...

~Aroxy
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 04:22:14 pm by Aroxy »