Author Topic: Character Sexuality?  (Read 7278 times)

Offline RisingLife

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 15
  • Derp
    • View Profile
Character Sexuality?
« on: April 19, 2013, 02:08:32 am »
Please understand this is just an opinion thread and not a place to insult or be insulted. This is also a topic for the more mature people, so please do not reply if you are going to act childish. If any sort of this behavior occurs I will get a mod to delete/lock this thread.

So recently I have started a type of... experiment in FeralHeart. I've been joining many different types of mapped RP's and creating male characters. But, instead of making them crush on the females, I have made them go for the males. I ask the RP leaders before doing so, and so far I have not received a no. And as I've rped as these characters, everyone I have encountered is either completely on board with the idea, or just does not comment. I have yet to receive a negative comment on my character's sexuality. Since I don't want to join 10 billion RP's just to see the general reaction, I have decided to come to the forum.

My questions are: How would you react if you encountered one of my characters, or one with the same sexuality? Would you feel uncomfortable if one of them had a 'crush' on your character? Would you ever make one of these characters? Opinion on this idea?

If you do not like the idea, please just say so, but do not bash homosexuality. I know it is a very touchy subject, so please only post what you feel is appropriate.
Check out my preset shop here!
And Art thread here!
And Character Bio here!?

Offline rustheart

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 76
  • Elbows are just arm knees.
    • RustyMcRustFace
    • View Profile
Re: Character Sexuality?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 02:48:26 am »
I personalty don't care if a boy likes a boy or a girl likes a girl.  We have to right to like ether gender.  However if someone tried to be my mate that was the same gender I would not allow it because I don't like mates even if they are the other sex.  But I would let gay characters in my group.  I understand that some people don't like it and think it is weird.  Also they may think letting a gay character in their group would start a fight between the player and other members that don't like it.
"I'm a kitchen sink, you don't know what that means. Because a kitchen sink to you, is not a kitchen sink to me, okay?"
Snow Shoe
Drawn by Aviru

BouncyLion101

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 02:54:23 am »
Personally, I never really got the whole "mates" thing and characters crushing on other characters. I don't know, I have had too many times where the player of the character doesn't understand the line between OOC and IC and it's just strange. :I

But I have had tons of characters that are gay, lesbian, or bisexual. It doesn't really matter to me, since I just pick a orientation I think will fit that character and..yeah.

To answer your questions: I wouldn't really care. I wouldn't treat that character or player any different then I would treat someone else.
I wouldn't feel uncomfortable as long as that person knows the line between OOC and IC. Some of my straight characters would probably not like that sort of attention though. XD
And as said above, I have created characters with all types or orientation. So, yes I would.

I wish sexuality wasn't such a big deal though..(Kind of getting off-topic but oh well)
It doesn't matter if someone is attracted to a male, female, or both genders. Love is what matters, right?

Offline FlewToTheCity

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 53
  • Mother Wolf
    • FlewToTheCity2
    • comandoness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 04:04:29 am »
Hmmh, I wouldnt mind at all. I do have homosexual characters and have got many put downs and some great comments. I wouldnt mind if you crushed on my male charas because most of them are homosexual. No I am not gay in real I am straight. But me and my friend roleplay over Skype and we have bassicaly lost count of how many gay charas we have and how much Insest there is.

What I say is Haters gotta hate because they actualy guide you through some points to improve the experiance. Other times I just ignore them :D So.... Meh.

Avatar by Atrociious | Signature by Scottishy

Offline SteampunkWolfdog

• That British Snob
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 157
    • ClockworkCarnivore
    • felislupus
    • @charliehowls2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 11:13:41 am »
I have no problem with homosexual characters whatsoever. They're often very fun individuals to be around, much like those we encounter in real-life. In society in general, I think homosexuals are very important for many reasons, but I'm not going to list them here in fear of starting a political debate xD.

I can't say I have any homosexual characters in my character stash. Mainly because as a heterosexual person, making something homosexual isn't an idea that crops up immediently in my mind out of instinct or habit. I'm not saying straight people can't or don't make gay/lesbian/bi characters because that is not true. That is just how it is in my mind.
Sometimes I ask myself a question, (especially since I have a tendency to make realistic characters): "Can animals be homosexual?" Since we don't know for sure what makes humans homosexual, it's hard to say whether animals can be too. Although, we had a cat once, called Marvin, that we were convinced was gay, and our other cat was homophobic and that's why our other cat hated him XD. But in all seriousness, I see potential for an interesting piece of research there.

I wouldn't mind if a same sex character decided to crush on my character though. Since this is a game, it doesn't really matter who's crushing on you or not. And unlike the close-minded minority of individuals, I appreciate the fact that everyone has different sexual preferences.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 11:16:41 am by DoctorFlob »

Preset (Updated 3/1/17)

(Formerly SpiritSilverWolf)

Offline FlewToTheCity

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 53
  • Mother Wolf
    • FlewToTheCity2
    • comandoness
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 12:20:01 pm »
I have no problem with homosexual characters whatsoever. They're often very fun individuals to be around, much like those we encounter in real-life. In society in general, I think homosexuals are very important for many reasons, but I'm not going to list them here in fear of starting a political debate xD.

I can't say I have any homosexual characters in my character stash. Mainly because as a heterosexual person, making something homosexual isn't an idea that crops up immediently in my mind out of instinct or habit. I'm not saying straight people can't or don't make gay/lesbian/bi characters because that is not true. That is just how it is in my mind.
Sometimes I ask myself a question, (especially since I have a tendency to make realistic characters): "Can animals be homosexual?" Since we don't know for sure what makes humans homosexual, it's hard to say whether animals can be too. Although, we had a cat once, called Marvin, that we were convinced was gay, and our other cat was homophobic and that's why our other cat hated him XD. But in all seriousness, I see potential for an interesting piece of research there.

I wouldn't mind if a same sex character decided to crush on my character though. Since this is a game, it doesn't really matter who's crushing on you or not. And unlike the close-minded minority of individuals, I appreciate the fact that everyone has different sexual preferences.

Verry well spoken, And yes, Animals can be homosexual. For instant Lions can be homosexual, same with dogs, Cows to mount other cows when they are in heat, Cats are, Alot of animals hace tendancys to do what they have to do. Of corse we are realated to Apes some how and they are homosexual. I see nothing wrong with it, I find Gays/les and bi' people really sweet and I adore everyone because everyone has the wright to love and live there life the way they want it.

Avatar by Atrociious | Signature by Scottishy

Offline SteampunkWolfdog

• That British Snob
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 157
    • ClockworkCarnivore
    • felislupus
    • @charliehowls2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 12:31:50 pm »

Preset (Updated 3/1/17)

(Formerly SpiritSilverWolf)

Offline mossstar1992

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 22
  • Poofle-Woofle
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2013, 02:10:50 pm »

I have seen a 'gay' Warrior cat before and he was all alone, so i made a 'gay' cat to and they went out.
Spare you the details but sadly in the end they broke up, my char went straite,and the other char found a new mate ._.
I have no issue with 'gay' or 'Lesbian' players.

Offline PrettyReckless

• Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 218
    • RecklessAce
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2013, 02:24:02 pm »
I never mind what a character, nor a player prefers. If it's female or male.
I think it's nice that people have some fantasy, and that they think in different paths than just one.
I've seen a lot of people who roleplay males, also putting it in their bio that they prefer males, or both genders.

I do however also agree with what BouncyLion101 said, about IC and OOC getting mixed up a lot.
But this happens in RP's at any point, not only when it comes to the mates thing.

I, personally, wouldn't be uncomfortable at all if I was on a female character and another female came over to me and started to flirt.
Nor would I be uncomfortable if I was on a male and a male came over.
Then again, I suppose it could always be nice to check with the person OOC'ly and then judge whether it'd be a good idea or not.
RETIRED.

Offline MadMoai

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 6
  • Sleepy woof
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2013, 02:40:35 pm »
Nope, I wouldn't care at all. ^u^ I once had a friend who said "love is love, no matter who it's for." That pretty much sums up what I would probably be trying to say in a big wall of text right now. |D

So... yeah, I think that's it. Also, parrots can be homosexual too. They're very social birds, so they always need at least one flock member. For example, in captivity, you can keep two males or two females together in one cage and they will still allopreen and all that. *is a bird nerd*