Author Topic: The Most Unrealistic Characters  (Read 9572 times)

Offline Tearless

• The strange artist about whom your mother warned you...
  • Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 81
  • Weird Absentee Uncle
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt
Re: The Most Unrealistic Characters
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2013, 04:16:47 am »
(I'm sorry, this ended up slightly off topic)

@Narifia: While I agree with some of the points you made (being the creator of a ginger-maned lion with purple accents and Bowie eyes), it seems a bit... overly reactionary. And also very condescending to anyone who doesn't know the exact same obscure facts as you. The thread isn't as much about characters who aren't fully realistic, because most aren't and that's frequently a good thing (there's a huge difference between unrealistic design and bad design), but more about people who doggedly insist that their yellow lion with a red mane or white-haired wolf IS fully realistic. When that happens it just makes finding people to RP with if you actually do want to go full realism difficult and frustrating.

And as much as I'm not a fan of the gender binary, I'm not sure what that has to do with anything that's been said. You can't expect everyone to know or research every obscure fact about lions when they make their character or RP; some people just want to have fun RPing what they know to be realistic lions and, as the article says, maned lionesses are rare. They're also not widely talked about, and the article seems to imply that the anomaly occurs mostly in one population of lions in Okavango Delta. People who assume lionesses don't have manes because they've never seen or heard of such a thing can't be accused of of having traditionalist views on gender; probably most of them don't (you're not the only one here who's on Tumblr). They just happen to not know that about lions. If I'd never heard of gynandromorphic birds and thought such a character to be unrealistic, would that make me traditional or sexist?

Hair-trigger social justice rants at people who did nothing to deserve them tend to achieve exactly the opposite of what they're meant to, especially if they treat everyone else as lesser intellects.

Offline Narifia

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 6
  • "Watashi wa nagareboshi no senshi gozen--Vega!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2013, 04:31:31 am »
Nah, I reacted mostly to the comments about maned lionesses. It's a nitpick I've seen over and over again on just about every IT (or IT variant), FH, or roleplay forum I've been to. Sorry if I sounded overly defensive about it, like I said it's a personal pet peeve of mine so maybe I did over explain it a bit. As for the obscure facts, I pointed them out to back up my argument that what is considered unrealistic may not necessarily be. Sure, I don't expect everyone to know this. I point them out merely to get people to stop and think: if they realize that what they thought was unrealistic actually is realistic, it might get them to stop and question other things. This isn't about proving who knows more, it's about sparking conversation and pointing out things that people might find interesting and enjoy learning more about.

I mentioned that it's understandably annoying when people claim that their unrealistically designed characters are realistic, but also I mentioned that it can still be acceptable when the unrealistic design has a reasonable explanation attached to it. As for those who don't have such explanations and are insistent that their bright yellow lion is realistic, well, best to just ignore them and move on. The sad fact of the matter is, most of the ones to whom threads like this are addressed don't even go on the forums, and trying to explain these things in-game is nearly impossible. So, let them learn from their own mistakes: when enough people start ignoring them over it, they'll eventually either get the idea or leave.

(Also, I don't use Tumblr :/ Where'd you get that idea? Just curious :) )

EDIT: "People who assume lionesses don't have manes because they've never seen or heard of such a thing can't be accused of of having traditionalist views on gender... They just happen to not know that about lions. If I'd never heard of gynandromorphic birds and thought such a character to be unrealistic, would that make me traditional or sexist?"

To be fair, I wasn't really accusing anyone of that. I mentioned the gender binaries because usually, people assume "male" or "female" when they look at a character because that is all they normally see in reference to real life. However, that is not always what happens in real life--not all animals are strictly "male" or "female." I merely pointed this out and backed it up with facts.

Honestly though, the same can be said for those who create and play grey "TLK" hyenas. If all they know is that hyenas are grey because they saw grey hyenas in TLK, then isn't it treating them as less intelligent by constantly pointing out that they are wrong? I saw a picture posted on this thread that actually RANTED about it, and with far more hurtful language than anything that I used--is that any less condescending than what I said? And said picture backed up its facts with real images of hyenas, as well as interesting facts about hyena behaviors and social order. Anyone who plays a grey hyena could say, "how do you expect me to know all of that? I just want to have fun and play a hyena character, I don't have time to research all of those obscure hyena facts."
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 05:12:55 am by Narifia »

"Night & Day
Sou sakende kizutsuite mo
Just Day By Day Ashita o mitsukeru!"
Do As Infinity-'Tooku Made'

Offline Tearless

• The strange artist about whom your mother warned you...
  • Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 81
  • Weird Absentee Uncle
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2013, 06:06:34 am »
Well, I'm sorry if I jumped down your throat a bit then. It wasn't so much the bringing up of obscure facts that bothered me, I appreciate the intent, but the way it was worded came off as if it was about who knows more. It's a two-way street is all I'm saying.

As for the Tumblr thing, I assumed because the last paragraph about the socially constructed gender binary and the overall way it was worded is very characteristic of that Tumblr, and part of the reason I reacted to it. While I like many parts of it, that site has a tendency to get very confrontational and unnecessarily hostile about things like that and it gets old.

Offline Jango_Fett

• Solid Snake
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 134
  • rotten kind of cute
    • euralore
    • EmpressWolf
    • littlemisscancer
    • parahyena
    • LM_Cancer
    • View Profile
    • Picarto.tv
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2013, 09:43:49 pm »
@Narfia, Liked how you used that video, (ALSO because it had Venus in it =^_^=) and you proved some very good points, I saw a lioness (Realistic looking) with a mane, and in he r bio, said the she had a genetic disorder
Which caused he to have a mane, and, that she could not reproduce.

sorry If I ranted earlier on unreal looking charries, But i saw yesterday a group fox bright orange foxes,
And they were not being illiterate, but more semi literate.  So, they Rp just fine, and are actually quiet
Friendly.

And too Kikiorylandia, with that link to dA with the TLk thing, that, was a little over-board.  Just saying.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 09:47:46 pm by Brenda Lee »

i don't know nothing about mopeds
feral_cast.fhm
have a question? just ask - Rubricae#6972

Offline SparkFenx

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2013, 08:18:06 pm »
Actually, female lions CAN have full-blown manes.

Offline Jango_Fett

• Solid Snake
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 134
  • rotten kind of cute
    • euralore
    • EmpressWolf
    • littlemisscancer
    • parahyena
    • LM_Cancer
    • View Profile
    • Picarto.tv