Author Topic: How did you come up with your characters name?  (Read 9742 times)

Offline wolf-wonders2239

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 5
  • Welcome to hell, my dudes
    • FatalKit
    • View Profile
Re: How did you come up with your characters name?
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2016, 03:48:00 pm »
I'm not sure if many other people do this, but honestly I like to find really interesting and pretty words that sound good on the tongue such as:
Verdict, Apracity, Diesel, Mercy, Repo, Prevulsion etc

Some of them are real words, some aren't. Some characters can be totally unrelated to their word-name thing, but hey - it's pretty LOL. As long as it doesn't mean something offensive in another language SNORts

Call me kit

Offline Burnwolf

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2016, 08:32:06 pm »
Usually I have all of my characters named after certain elements or celestial bodies (i.e. Cobalt, Lunar, and Stratus) If I cant come up with any I just go for the generic names like my characters Ace and Dakota
"Insanity is like a disease......a fatal disease without any known cure." - Cobalt

Offline Vwang

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2016, 02:27:47 am »
When I was new I had to make a pretty lame name for my first character who is Wingedflyer

Offline Felfonz

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
  • Well put, outrageous explorer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2016, 05:19:10 am »
If I don't use a baby-names website (usually Behindthenames) and find something Nordic/Russian, I've either come up with a random name from a random word (like Keeto from Ketose or Remlin from... well I just thought of that one actually) or found a name I really like from some random source (I like the name Fyodor, as in Fyodor Dostoevsky; Lance, as in the guy from Voltron; Rueben, as in the guy from the bible).

I don't have much of a habit.
�I am going to die kissing Simon Snow. Aleister Crowley, I'm living a charmed life.�
?Rainbow Rowell, Carry On

Offline Psilocybin

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2016, 07:22:40 am »
My main char, Teva, is literally the name of sandal. Teva is a brand of outdoorsy, hiking sandal, but it's pretty name so whatevs.
As for Puck, I'm a huge hockey fan, so Puck seemed fitting. xD

Offline FlyingGrass

• ~🛠 The avant-garde doctor of mechanical beings. 🔧 🔬
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 121
    • FlyingGrass
    • channel/UCA7RfqQ1KLl4s8JhxIXNs_Q
    • View Profile
    • Mechanicafeles Discord link
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2017, 12:27:42 pm »
If a name pops into my head at any time of the day, then I'll look it up on the web to ensure I am not about to name my character a rude word.

If I'm too out of names, then I use a name generator before plugging the name I find into a search engine.

My main character, Gui, was named differently. I was thinking of tech/game-related names when Graphical User Interface came to mind, I liked how the name fit my mech and it was a short name too. Gui's name is an acronym.
I put the "F" there since many times have I seen others getting chars' genders wrong, and the "MechCat" is there since my mech was sometimes mistaken for a lion.

My presets.

Good things take time, so I'll take an eternity and create something so good that the human brain can't handle the sheer goodness of it.

Offline Insoholic

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 152
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2017, 05:21:51 pm »
Great topic idea, Reaper! +floof

• Hayes (main character): Being a Hayes Grier (an american internet personality) fan, I loved the name and decided to use it for my main character.
  • Varjak Boghosyan: I actually stole this one from the television series "Pretty Little Liars". As for "Boghosyan", this is an Armenian surname, particularly associated with Western Armenia. I really liked it and decided to use it as a family name for Varjak.
  • Chanteloup: To be honest, I have no idea how I came up with this name. It probably has something to do with my "Google Researches".
  • Keeshan: There's a NPC named "Corporal Keeshan" in "World of Warcraft" and I guess I really liked the name.
  • Enjol: Enjolras is a fictional character who acts as the charismatic leader of the Friends of the ABC in the 1862 novel Les Misérables by Victor Hugo. I loved the name and shortened it to "Enjol".

Signature art by Kynvuu

Offline Hakumi

• ✩ Just A Virtuous Smol ✩
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 130
  • A Smol & Helpful Floof ~
    • leanim3fr3akzoid
    • LeAnim3Fr3akzoid
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2017, 06:24:11 pm »
Oo, interesting topic here c:
For some of my main characters... The name would usually pop into my head. One in particular being Pandeer.
What basically happened was that I was editing a chibi version of a panda character that I had and while going through the items, I accidentally clicked the buck antlers and boom, the creation of this brown floof was born. As for the naming part, since it reminded me of a buck / deer as well as it being a Panda, I wanted to combine the two together somehow and 'Click' the name Pandeer was born.

Lol. And this was all by accident also so I guess when it comes to me naming my character, it kinda just flows out once I create them c:

Keep on traveling across this road called 'Life.'

Discord: Haku - Haku#74O7

Offline Wyldercat

• The Crimson Cryptic
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 101
  • yare yare daze
    • bugbearbear
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2017, 01:35:34 am »
Love this topic! It's always interesting to see how people come up with things like this. For me I either browse this handy website, or have an interesting name pop into my head and stick it to a character. Usually I use 2000 names for roleplays or one-off characters, however, for my mains I'd much rather come up with a more unique or uncommon name that comes to my mind naturally. It just feels more genuine for my "mascot characters" rather than picking a name from a database.

I also take personality and character design into consideration. For instance, Scuttle is a shifty and intelligent but scatterbrained young street cat, Pip is the tiny shape of a friend, Mako is a type of shark which would fit my gnoll ranger nicely, etc.

Feel to pm/whisper me if you have any questions or just want to chat.
nya

Offline Faeris

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2017, 07:17:25 am »
aw jeez this is my first post on here. welp, too late now :p

Since I'm starting to play the game again (yay) I only have two characters, so this'll be pretty short.

Thaed: Anagram for death (pretty much just backwards with the 't' and 'h' switched around). His preset features his head as a skull and... well, why not? He doesn't really look grim or whatever but I liked the sound of it and it's spelled quite nicely so I went ahead and used it. It kinda stuck after that.

Rosky: One of my irl friends was spamming me earlier as I was away from my phone and they typed this, so I decided to use it as my second character's name. I was originally planning to use Lubec(a) because I saw it in my history book and thought it sounded nice, but I'll probably just use it for another character.

Last names are the hard part, however. I usually use behindthename or fantasynamegenerators for that.

I must admit that I'm planning to name a character Milk because milk is just... so darn good. So if you see a character named Milk sometime in the next 1-2 weeks, it's me. c;