Author Topic: General chat, What's it for?  (Read 17373 times)

Treasure

Re: General chat, What's it for?
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2011, 08:07:31 am »
General. Its for General chat. Generic, it shoudln't BE Specified wth? Cursing is already a no in the rules that should go for ALL chat types and same with trolling so that shouldn't even be mentioned.

Instead of saying lets make if for ads and seeking people why don't you make a new chat box designated for Advertising in yellow or purple or orange font? That way people can turn off or on the ads to see what they want? :)

Offline GhostingHowl

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 31
  • As iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2011, 08:10:31 am »
Copy/paste my reply from other thread:

In my experience, general chats are meant to be used for just that, general chat. Random people in all parts of the map talking about whatever they want. It usually makes for a fun community just chatting together from all around.

However, it seems that the mods want general to be used only for advertising? This just compounds the need for an advertising chat all on its own. That would keep the chat more organized and allow people to really pick what they want to read on the chat.

Ex) 
Looking for an RP? Turn off general & local, turn on advertising.

Bored and want to chat with random people? Turn off local & advertising, turn on general.

Having a RP in local with some friends? Turn off advertising & general, turn on local.

Treasure

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2011, 08:56:18 am »
Ghosting thats what I said D:

Offline Raz.

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 28
  • aka Raz ingame.
    • View Profile
    • My DA page
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2011, 10:05:58 am »
In my experience, general chats are meant to be used for just that, general chat. Random people in all parts of the map talking about whatever they want. It usually makes for a fun community just chatting together from all around.

I'm being swayed a bit, just by this sort of thing. I kinda take back what I said about not/minute conversing in General.

I think...I guess conversing would be considered ok. Just as long as it doesn't turn into something stupid/spammy/obscene/etc.

I guess I just see so much of it, it makes you want to restrict what goes on in General. But eh, I guess that's what hiding chats and the block button is for. Even though it doesnt fully get rid of the morons.

Offline Gargantor

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 7
  • WQ/FH/AK fan... RAWR
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2011, 06:04:33 pm »
Practically what Draak said.
Im kind of irritated that when i want to try and find an rp, and it gets flooded away by spam! no minor and brief conversations.... spam!

ppl right now arent trying to find each other, or ask where they are, or how they are feeling.... they are telling us things we are not interesed about... and shouldnt know about. totally offending and not needed things. mostly trolls, and spammers, who talk in caps, and rape each other in general chat.

i really dont have a problem with ppl who really just have an innocent friendly conversation. but there is a fine line when it goes to unneeded spamming. if you really want a nice and long conversation, find the ppl, or whisper them. (you know you can click on their name in the chatbox, and whisper them from there on)

When i just want to chill or im even wanting to find an rp, im always forced to just disable the general chat because of the content.. or the endless spam that floods it. Im kind of fed up with it. I dont want for ppl to actually stop talking on it just... mind the content and the length of the conversation.

I always kind of thought it as logical the general chat is for advertising rps or finding ppl, or finding rps, and asking for help with the game or forums. why else would it be heard everywhere on the map? i was sure that it wasnt for telling everyone how they will beat the butt of a person and go in to detail. thank you but im not interested at all, and im sure noone would like to hear about that either.
(sorry if i offended someone, not meant to)

Rak$ha

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2011, 09:04:45 am »
Keep in mind guys this is a thread about what General chat should be used for, not to bash mods.

Offline Tripwire

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 14
  • Bamidele Lions Of Dodoma
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2011, 09:38:17 am »
Keep in mind guys this is a thread about what General chat should be used for, not to bash mods.

Nearly exactly what I was going to say.

For the most part I personally just use general chat to find a quick thrown together rp last minute or say hello to a friend or two before rp-ing. I honestly cant say that i just get on FH for random jibberish talking and Justin beiber singing like MANY people use general for. Now i will say that people who spam or are simply annoying should be made an example out of and everyone doing these things should be capable of understand why they got punished. They are rules that everyone should know by now and if you don't you'll learn the hard way.

Not trying to get my throat ripped out, but just use your noodles. =)

-tripwire/andrea

12dollars

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2011, 09:49:39 am »
It is true that people writing in General Chat does get pretty annoying, but it also may be because party chat isnt available yet which I know I'd use to talk with friends that were far away. People will say to make a group but sometimes the character your using at the time already has a group that you don't want to leave. Maybe wait till party chat is working before having a major rage fit at people ^^

Offline Onai

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
  • Violence solves all your problems, least for me.
    • View Profile
    • DIE
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2011, 10:21:27 am »
"They are rules that everyone should know by now and if you don't you'll learn the hard way." <--- Sorry, I believe I LOLed in real right there.

For starters, as everyone has thus far mentioned and still received no word about; Where exactly is the rule that says General chat is only and strictly for advertising? Do point me in the right direction, because I assure you I cannot seem to find it.

Wait, I know. It's because there is no rule on the specific use of General chat. Not a one, and not posted anywhere on the forum for anyone else to see. Yet, people are banned for 'Spamming' the chat with conversations/talk/greetings/ect? It goes back to my last point, how do you expect a rule to be obeyed when it isn't posted nor widely known? No warning, nothing in the rules updated. This would automatically make us question the legit reason for just one person banning people for said 'spam', would it not?

"I've actually seemed to have known the rules for you could say a rather long time now, and I don't see any of the rules stating that we should "use" General this way, or that way. It doesn't really make sense. There's nothing posted about how it should even be, and it's mainly like a free for all. Nobody, just saying that not even one simple mod, should try and change that. This whole fight is just pathetically stupid." ~Quote from Doggersdog

Stupid indeed. We're arguing over the right that someone had to ban multiple players for using a chat in a way they deemed to be breaking the rules. When in fact no such rule can be found anywhere on the forum or the ToS. Do you honestly believe it's fair to fling a random restriction into the mix of something that has always been, at least as long as I remember playing the game? And then suddenly ban for breaking that restriction, even though no previous issues had arose? 

This isn't about people being banned for breaking a rule. This is about the fact that there is no rule in regards to the certain use of General. Yet it is perfectly fine to eliminate players like they're nothing when they defile those invisible laws?

We aren't brainless, and we aren't stupid. It's not hard to see where one person's preferences corrupts everyone close to them, and push the ones fighting back against the wrong done toward them farther away. We no longer have a voice, the argument has become one sided. It's us, the players, against them, the one person responsible and the people that support them blindly due to friendship.

Is it really too much to ask that a proper rule be put in place, before someone goes off and bans people for every tedious thing possible? Would it really be that hard to let the rule sink in before you start flinging people left and right for breaking rules they weren't aware were intact? As others have mentioned, would it not be an advancement to create guidelines for punishments when breaking rules? And post those guidelines for us the players to see as well? As most Admins and mods have thus said, punishments vary between each individual. Someone cursing might get banned for an hour, another an entire week. Where is the equality in that? You can't tell me that the staff cannot compromise on punishments which are fair and just for whatever is done. It's not hard, and it doesn't require a major amount of effort. So where's your excuse, other than some still preferring to show the usual favoritism with their buddy buds and people that worship the ground they walk on?

Sorry, never been one of those people. Respect rolls two ways, and if you can't show equal respect for all, then why would you deserve mine? Until something is done to right the wrong, I won't be back in game. Not even when my ban time is up, I refuse to be part of such a community as to call itself great, when it's splitting apart at the seams.

~Onai.

Rak$ha

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2011, 11:49:21 am »
Onai, must I remind you this thread is about what general is meant to be used for, not what the bad things have happened with it?

I understand you're angry/want justice but for now, that is completely off topic.

Unless everyone stays on topic, this thread will be locked and no general opinions will be taken into consideration.