Author Topic: General chat, What's it for?  (Read 17370 times)

Offline Cynder-

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 8
  • IMMA FIRIN MAH LAAZZAARRDAFGNADJFADG
    • View Profile
Re: General chat, What's it for?
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2011, 05:28:50 pm »
General Chat to me means a place to chat about Feral Heart when a chat box is just to small. :3 I don't think it means you can talk aimlessly about stuff, because it says 'General Game Discussion'.

-Trying to keep this on topic-

slycan

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2011, 06:44:08 pm »
for awhile - I used to think it was the chat you could use when the Local Chat was full .. or vice versa ^^'' (oops)
In IT , I used it all the time, I couldn't tell the difference besides color.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 06:46:17 pm by Slycan »

Offline Redlinelies

• The FeralHeart Guru
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 792
  • Modoru Pride
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2011, 03:46:24 am »
Just that IT and FH are 2 completely different things now. Not only did IT actually have seperate chat windows for all chats(much better if you ask me), but IT had 1/10th of the players FH has now, if not even less. IT also had tons of maps, and a party function.

General is big now, very big.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 03:51:55 am by Red »
Former community manager of FeralHeart

slycan

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2011, 05:58:24 am »
idk for sure - where the rules different / did they change at all from IT to now in FH ? ( kinda thought it was the same for general chat cept chat windows = check boxes now.)

Offline GhostingHowl

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 31
  • As iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2011, 01:12:32 am »
Ghosting thats what I said D:

Lol, sorry dude but I was just pasting what I had already said the other day from another thread. Our times just seem to have matched up ;)

In my experience, general chats are meant to be used for just that, general chat. Random people in all parts of the map talking about whatever they want. It usually makes for a fun community just chatting together from all around.

I'm being swayed a bit, just by this sort of thing. I kinda take back what I said about not/minute conversing in General.

I think...I guess conversing would be considered ok. Just as long as it doesn't turn into something stupid/spammy/obscene/etc.

I guess I just see so much of it, it makes you want to restrict what goes on in General. But eh, I guess that's what hiding chats and the block button is for. Even though it doesnt fully get rid of the morons.

Thanks, Draak, its nice to see that you have an open mind about this situation.

In fact, I think that Draak gives a good example of what is causing disagreements between what should and shouldn't be on the general chat thread.

It seems that one of the reasons people are against chatting on general is simply because of the horrid spamming and inappropriate things that some immature players have been posting on it lately. However, I believe it is important to separate these issues. Spamming and chatting CAN go hand in hand, but they are mutually exclusive. You can chat without spamming and spam without chatting.

Obviously spamming should not be tolerated on general, especially inappropriate spamming. I am sure that EVERYONE agrees with this. However, its important to not let your dislike of spamming make you feel like all chatting will degenerate into that.

We do have a good community who can chat and have nice fun conversations with each other, lets not forget that because we have a few nasty apples in the bunch 8)

Offline Raz.

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 28
  • aka Raz ingame.
    • View Profile
    • My DA page
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2011, 04:10:48 am »

However, I believe it is important to separate these issues. Spamming and chatting CAN go hand in hand, but they are mutually exclusive. You can chat without spamming and spam without chatting.

Obviously spamming should not be tolerated on general, especially inappropriate spamming. I am sure that EVERYONE agrees with this. However, its important to not let your dislike of spamming make you feel like all chatting will degenerate into that

I think these are some good, key points here that people should remember.

I think the spam and the state that General is in now may make people worry about if they're spamming or not. Since I don't think I've actually seen a decent conversation in General for a while O_o. Most of it is either the awful stuff or borderline idiotic/spam conversations.

Rose0355

« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2011, 05:31:19 am »
I Believe that general chat is only meant for advertising, but can be used for normal chat. some people may Overuse the chat with unwanted news and spam, which destracts Roleplays and also can be Annoying To Other players Or the Mods.
Its quiet hard to say what to do. :/
People could always just turn off general if it annoys them that much..

Twiliac

« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2011, 06:18:38 am »
X.o.

Blinding colors Rose.

Also, no, that isn't what were talking about here.

Were talking about what general chat should be used for, not if it bothers' any one.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 06:22:56 am by Twilia »

Rose0355

« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2011, 06:33:09 am »
Eh. New to form chatting and yes THE COLOURS! :D

Offline Gargantor

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 7
  • WQ/FH/AK fan... RAWR
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2011, 01:31:39 pm »
I Believe that general chat is only meant for advertising, but can be used for normal chat. some people may Overuse the chat with unwanted news and spam, which destracts Roleplays and also can be Annoying To Other players Or the Mods.
Its quiet hard to say what to do. :/
People could always just turn off general if it annoys them that much..

basically what you just said goes into the same category as "to avoid trolls and abusers, there is the block button". this wont solve anything in my opinion(ignoring isnt the best solution). but yes, as Twilia said. this is not the topic.

So basically what most said:
- advertising
- asking for help (forum and game related)
-little announcments
-small, or big but meaningful conversations.

what not to use for:
-spam
-abuse
-trolling
-bullying
i also would like to put here:
- talking to mods about subjects that arent FH related, and the mod wont talk back (saying here like: i love you mod! come party mod! etc.) stop spamming them, they wont talk back. this basically hinders them in their work, and in my opinion should be punished.
(yet again saying.... sorry if i offended anyone... didnt mean to)

ty for reading