Author Topic: General chat, What's it for?  (Read 17464 times)

Offline aelitastar

• Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 58
    • View Profile
Re: General chat, What's it for?
« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2011, 12:30:43 am »
^ kinda have to agree ^^*
I am not who I was when I last left here, from the years '11 through '13. I sincerely apologize for how rude and disrespectful I had been, and hope whoever I have wronged before can forgive my previous bad behavior.

Okapi

« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2011, 09:05:21 pm »
Wow, what an intresting topic. I'm glad to see all your opinions. Ok, here I go.

I think General chat should be used for intersting conversations where everyone is allowed to respond and tell their opinions and add to the coversations.

We should also be able to advertise our RP and such, even though I don't really RP much, but others will be certainly pleased if we could.

We should also be able to talk about whatever we want, and whatever we find intresting.

What I really don't think should be allowed to be talked about is adoptions. In Bonefire, many players are wanting to be " adopted"  and I think it is kind of dumb. I mean, people should be able to talk about that, but not too much, or else they would be so busy "adopting"  that they wouldn't want to talk about anything else.

Also bullying, and harsh language are a big no. I see too many people saying inappropriate words and all, but I know moderators are trying their best, so I'm not complaining.

Offline cj2001

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: -3
  • UNLEASH THE TROLL WITHIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 27, 2011, 05:00:32 am »
guilty for carrying on a chat like explaining what my dog is doing in general XD

~*~SEEMS LEGIT~*~

Offline Megaomega

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 27, 2011, 05:46:54 am »
I'm going to get straight to the point.

Here's what I think it should and shouldn't be used for:

Brief conversations. This is not to say stop chatting in general altogether. I think it's ok if you want to use General chat to ask questions to those who are listening, or to try to find the location of someone. Little things like this.
If you want to continue your conversation, find that user and then continue in the Local chat.
Dragging out a longwinded sob story about how your life sucks/how you can't get out of that rock/what you did today/what your dog is doing right now in my opinion isn't what General Chat should be used for.
Although on the other hand, sometimes you get caught up in something and it just gets carried out.

Advertising Roleplay. I believe this is ok also, since how else would you gather others to join you in a rp ingame? However there is a fine line between Advertising and spam I think. If you post a few times with a bit of time inbetween post it's ok, however if it's all in caps every second, it's not ok and I think it's spam.
Mate/pup/cub/family beggars also has a similar scenario to what I just explained, and I'd be just repeating myself.
I should also be noted that users should know when to stop advertising/asking. If no one responds, no one is interested. Don't continue to press on with it and maybe try again in half an hour/an hour or so.

Roleplay. No. Just no. Because some/most users do not want to know how your wolf howled at the moon, or how your lion mauled that giraffe. It just clogs up the chatbox. If you want to roleplay, stick to Local chat, Group chat or even your own map.

Vulgarities Ugh. This is a huge no. I don't want to get into what I've seen that's been said over the General chat. ranging from sexual things/rape to other gross TMI bodily functions. I'd rather not hear about something like that so publically. Once again, if you really must talk about your TMIs stick to whispers and group chats.

Arguments. If something comes up and causes a fight, don't slather it all over General Chat. No one wants to hear your swears, crude/petty remarks and all round rage at one another. This also just unpleasantly clogs the chatbox and should be taken into local or just take your argument out of the game and have it over email/PM/MSN/etc.

Bullying. Another huge no. I've seen on multiple occassions small handfuls of users pick on another player for various reasons. I guess this could also come under Trolling aswell.

And finally the big ones, Spam and Trolling.
No no no no no no no. No.
I don't think I really have to explain this one. I'm pretty sure everyone has seen their fair share of spam and trolling in it's various shapes and forms in the General Chat.

You just said all my words

Offline Magpie

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 47
  • "Nobody's perfect", Yay I'm a nobody..I'M PERFECT
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 27, 2011, 03:00:50 pm »
Seriously?

Plain and simple. General is. G.E.N.E.R.A.L. Look I spelt it out. We should be able to talk in it. It's a place for people to make conversations, have a bit of fun. Do you seriously think that its ONLY? For advertising? WHat about when you trying to find someone? What if you want to discuss something with someone, and no-body you know is on? Give us a bit of freedom, or I shall be calling this game Wolfquest.

ALSO. Never ONCE on my time here, have I seen someone being ignored. People who speak in General care about eachother. Another member comes on? We talk to them and help them. Yes, some may be ignored. If we miss the post.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 03:03:39 pm by Magpie »

Offline Redlinelies

• The FeralHeart Guru
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 792
  • Modoru Pride
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 27, 2011, 03:20:18 pm »
Have you honestly not seen how little general chat is used for talking and proper convos?

What about the fact that it's broadcasted to all players within a map, and always will be everytime someone boot up the game.

70% of the time, if not more the conversations in general are no conversations at all, just random powerplaying rp, screaming about something no one needs to hear, spamming different sorts of smiley faces or simply complaining about newbies posts about weird roleplays and mate begging.

Really pretty general, really.

General is for more than just advertising indeed. But spotting a real conversation in general doesn't happen too often.
Former community manager of FeralHeart

Offline Zarago

• Finest Floof
  • Officially left.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 27, 2011, 03:25:19 pm »
In my opinion, General is the place to have a conversation with people all over the map without having to meet them face-to-face or in a whisper. You can spread the word of something, you can ask for help and hopefully receive it, and you can advertise as well as troll for laughs. Sure, you get some trouble-makers there, but seriously, you get them everywhere.

Would be nice if we had a chat specifically for advertising, though. The advertisements do take up a lot of room when they're all doing it at once.

Offline Magpie

• Finest Floof
  • "Nobody's perfect", Yay I'm a nobody..I'M PERFECT
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 27, 2011, 05:19:55 pm »
Red, I hope you don't think I'm being mean here.

I have seen the complete oppisite to what you said. When I go on general, it takes jut one person to speak and then the real conversations speak. I agree with Zarago. Maybe, we should make an advertising chat? Not that hard plus it would save a lot of unwanted argument.

EDIT: I am speaking of Flourite Plains for my argument.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 05:25:23 pm by Magpie »

Offline Zarago

• Finest Floof
  • Officially left.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 27, 2011, 05:25:58 pm »
Red, I hope you don't think I'm being mean here.

I have seen the complete oppisite to what you said. When I go on general, it takes jut one person to speak and then the real conversations speak. I agree with Zarago. Maybe, we should make an advertising chat? Not that hard plus it would save a lot of unwanted argument.

Too true. Whenever I trot over into General, and even start to talk about one thing or another, I always get replies, and it quickly turns into a conversation. I rarely see people spamming or just fooling around. They have local, whisper, party and group for that.

Ritza

« Reply #59 on: December 27, 2011, 05:31:48 pm »
@ Magggggiee poo You have 666 posts O_. SPOOKY ! Change it, change it quick before you're cursed! :D

@The Topic, General chat isn't for when you're sitting next to everyone you're talking to. Nuff said.