Author Topic: General chat, What's it for?  (Read 17372 times)

Offline Redlinelies

• The FeralHeart Guru
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 792
  • Modoru Pride
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • View Profile
Re: General chat, What's it for?
« Reply #60 on: December 27, 2011, 05:37:09 pm »
I do not think the opposite, I know from experiences how general chat works. And what goes on over there in that general chat at times is not what you point towards to support the discussion.

I will post a link here that I have in other threads. Do you guys still don't realise that users are force fed with what some users can come up with in general chat? These nice conversations you talk about isn't nice to everyone else, and even though I'm not the rp kind that writes long advertising posts to grab someones attention we pretty much got two parties in the game. 1 that likes to talk about everything and nothing in general chat, and those that just use it when they need it.

There is indeed differences between talking and "talking".

Read the part about chats and I think you'll know more what I'm trying to put out.
http://feral-heart.com/index.php?option=com_jfusion&Itemid=2&jfile=index.php&topic=12003.0

See feralheart as going to the movies. Some users just want to enjoy the movies, and some likes to scream at the screen. Maybe even get other players to force to hold their ears(turn off the chat), or maybe even go someplace else. When infact, they could get their very own room to scream at the movie.

I'm still going to go with that 6 chat functions for one single chatbox is too much. It should be divided into 3 on 3 or similar.

For example, a world chat with movie clips, advertising and movie clips.
And a Personal chat for local, whisper and group/party chat.

This is just a simple throwout and it wouldn't even need to be that way. But general chat is infact a problem when there's careless users that do not think about the other 100+ users in the map that is in fact not in the spotlight.

The maps have their fair part in this aswell if there's big maps like flourite(That also causes big server load since everyone goes there).

If an advertising chat is going to be made, so should a world/general chat.
Former community manager of FeralHeart

Offline Zarago

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 47
  • Officially left.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 27, 2011, 05:50:40 pm »
I truly don't understand what you're getting at Red. I'm sure that you've had to sit through plenty of these "conversations", but I do know that not everyone in General is trolling, swearing and spamming, and that I rarely see these things happen.

So, what exactly are you trying to say? Sorry if I may seem to be derpin'.

Ritza

« Reply #62 on: December 27, 2011, 05:57:47 pm »
Zarago dear, me and you both know what Red is talking about. He's talking about the times where me and you have been like WTF to general chat and logged for the night to go play a different game or something. I think General chat needs to have some rules, if not, we'll have that favorite vigilant mini-modding very poorly and just peeving the crap out of people.

Offline Redlinelies

• The FeralHeart Guru
  • Immortal Legend
  • Modoru Pride
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 27, 2011, 05:58:52 pm »
I'm going to be honest, if these posts, and the one thread linked in previous post doesn't give enough rhyme and reason, I'm not sure anything will for you.

All I'm trying to say that these "Conversations" everyone claims they have in general chat, is far from a conversation at all and at many times it's just plain out flooding the chats. Saying it's just nice socializing would not be true, saying advertising is a problem and should move to a chat alone we could just as well turn it other way around and say general chat should get it's own chat, it would be the very same thing in that matter.

So what exactly is so hard to understand about that? I could try to explain further so it might be easier, but my main point is that it's not ALL about the general chat and the users in it, think about the players in FeralHeart, just not the stars in general chat.

Offline Zarago

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 47
  • Officially left.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 27, 2011, 06:50:12 pm »
I think I understand a little more. A lot of the stuff in General is complete rubbish, but as Magglepie said, it can only takes one person to start a good conversation, but equally one person to turn it into an argument.

Regarding advertisements, it is easier to gain members when it's there for all to see (unless, of course, one has turned General off). But if people are not looking to join a role-play, then these advertisements can get annoying and spammy, which is why I suggested a separate chat.

Offline FoxiePlushie

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 4
  • Bright like a floof
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #65 on: December 28, 2011, 04:02:15 pm »
.Oh my... Sticky topic. Well, at least I'm glad you people asked about General before putting in rules and what not. Well, I do agree that general is becoming a problem. But its not just people chatting (I will refer what is happening in general as chatting, for I do not think there is term for such things...) that crowd the chat box, it is advertisements too. And the best solution that I see that will make the most people happy, is to have seperate chats for advertising and general. Of course, general will have rules to keep it not as crazy. General should not be for: Roleplaying (BIG NO) Bullying, cussing (For some reason people have been doing this more .-.), trolling, and spaming. Notice that I didn't include "chatting." Why? Well for one, I like chatting, many people do. General provides a way out of your boredum of waiting for someone to get on, when your waiting for a good rp, or other reasons. It also provides a way for people to connect across the map. Yes, you can whisper or find them in local, but what if your talking to multiple people? You can't possibly handle all those whispers. And what if they can't go to you in local for some reason? Maybe its lag, or they are waiting for someone to find them or maybe local is just too crowded at the moment. Either way, general is much faster and easier to acess. And I do agree that alot of the chatting is not really chatting. But there IS chatting. I define chatting as talking about whatever the heck you what to talk about over the computer. What I don't define as chatting is spamming, trolling, moaning about how your life sucks, and talking about inapropriate things.
General has its own little system. When something disrupts this system, certain people who take it upon themselves to mini mod (i.e. Tell you the rules and report you) and tell that something that they can't do that. They keep the not chatting (That I mentioned earlier) down. Granted, they often start arguments, but general needs all the help it can get. Things eventually work out, but when a mod comes around... Oh, general goes utterly insane. People just mod spam out the wazoo. Why? I'm not sure. Maybe its because they don't see mods often or maybe its because (most likely) of their own stupidity. I REALLY thank that mod spam should be banned. I'm not saying the small little "Thank you mod, we appreciate what you do" I'm talking about the "OMG OMG MOD I LOVE YOU WILL YOU MARRY ME?!!!!!!" This and other things of mod spam is completly unnecsairy. Mods are not gods, they are people just like you, just with the power to ban your butt.
But back to the seperate chats. Yeah, I think its a good idea. You can hate on me, whatever. I might even look at what you say, but this is what I think. General will ALWAYS have problems, it is pretty much proven on other games. The question is, what can we do to IMPROVE general, even if it wont fix the problem as a whole.

Offline aelitastar

• Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 28, 2011, 11:52:07 pm »
Well said foxie. I agree with you XD
I am not who I was when I last left here, from the years '11 through '13. I sincerely apologize for how rude and disrespectful I had been, and hope whoever I have wronged before can forgive my previous bad behavior.

Offline catwarrior

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 3
  • Kitkatcrunchness
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 29, 2011, 12:43:35 am »
Good Lord have mercy on us! This is totally OUT OF CONTROL and I'm not the one to be easy on these kinds of topics. My suggestion is pretty much the same of other's. Make an advertising chat, everyone is happy yeah yeah, yet another problem arises and yada yada yada, everyone gets banned by this so called "mod" (i know i know its off topic but hey!) and soon FH will be CRASHED AND DONE just like IT. All because of the hectic, should I say, STUPID people in this community. General is general: used for anything. Look it up on google/ the dictionary! It'll come up, I think.
:3 ~I'm baaaaaaaaaack!~

Offline GhostingHowl

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 31
  • As iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 29, 2011, 10:25:14 am »
Geeze this topic is ancient. The same arguments are just being repeated over and over. We need to stop beating this dead horse and just have something done already, this is getting old.

Offline Redlinelies

• The FeralHeart Guru
  • Immortal Legend
  • Modoru Pride
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 29, 2011, 12:47:15 pm »
Ghosting is right, and it still even seems like some of you people do not understand that this is not the meaning of the word general, it's about how it actually works in the game and what it causes.

Will lock this down since it will not move anywhere.