Author Topic: FREE HOSTING FOR YOU (FTP for your FH stuff)  (Read 6891 times)

Bornes

FREE HOSTING FOR YOU (FTP for your FH stuff)
« on: June 16, 2011, 12:31:02 pm »
Hello everyone!
I am new here, but I noticed there's a very active community, and it makes me very happy to see.
I have a website (with hosting) that I do not use very often but I am not going to stop paying for it for posterity, and I have a lot of space. So I figured why not let you guys use it? This is so you don't have to use free sites like mediafire.

Your free space has a few rules.
- No adult content
- Please only FH-related things
- no files over 100mb. (If your file is over 100mb, split it up into smaller archives using winrar).
- no malicious files or intent (no uploading viruses, no deleting other people's files, etc., etc.)

If you disrespect rules I may delete your files without warning. If you are deleting other people's files, I will take the host down and nobody can use it.

Now that that's over with, here's some stuff you can do:
- You CAN upload exe's and such (for FH)
- You CAN upload videos (of FH)
- You CAN upload screenshots (of FH)
- You CAN create directories (folders).
- You CAN make a basic html page for your stuff (but please, don't abuse this. Just a little page with some info, file size, and a link to your file should be enough).

The host works via ftp. If you do not know how to use ftp, see FAQ.
ftp: fh.khat.us
sn: u45169010-fh
pw: feral4ever

The default directory is khat.us/FH/uploads.
Meaning, when you upload your file, the url to it is http://khat.us/FH/uploads/yourfile.ext
EDIT: Now with a shorter URL! Your files will also show up at http://fh.khat.us/yourfile.ext!
You may also have your own subdomain (yourname.khat.us) if you want. Just email/PM me the name you want, and I will do it for you.

Any questions? Email/PM me. Or post here, but I may not be around.

-------------------------------------------------

Okay, I add FAQ since there has been some questions brought to my attention.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Do I (the person uploading stuff) pay for this?
A. No, it is totally free for you.

Q. Do people downloading my stuff need the password or an FTP program?
A. No. You only need FTP and a password to upload. Downloads will happen automatically if you link people to your file. (by default, your file should be in khat.us/FH/uploads/yourfile.ext or fh.khat.us/yourfile.ext [both will work] unless you make a new folder).

Q. Is there a bandwidth limit?
A. No. At least not one anyone here will reach; trust me.

Q. This is against the rules! Go away!
A. No, it's not against the rules. Please don't be so rude. If you don't believe me, see Tigg's post (reply #10) of this thread, where they specifically say this is ALLOWED.

Q. Why is this better than a free site (like mediafire)?
A. -  No signup required
- FTP (if you prefer FTP)
- Download/upload speeds are generally faster
- No countdowns for downloading
- Unique, easy to remember URL
- Ability to make own folders and organize things.
- Ability to make webpages within those personal folders
- Ability to have your own subdomain (yourname.khat.us)
- Ability to delete files (I don't know if mediafire lets you do that).

Q. Ok, so what is the catch to this, then?
A. The password is freely shown here, so anyone can access the FTP. Someone could randomly delete all your files if they wanted to. While I think that's very unlikely, it's possible. If you want your own private FTP info (if you're going to be uploading a LOT of files, making a website, or whatever), PM me. I've no problem giving you free webspace.

Q. HELP! How do I use FTP?
A. The easiest (but slowest) way is to use Windows Explorer. Open up 'my computer'. Then in the address bar, type in ftp://fh.khat.us. A dialog box will pop up asking for username and password. Enter the ones on this page in and click 'ok'. Once it loads, just drag and drop your files in the window.
For faster response, you should get an FTP program. Filezilla is pretty easy to use and free. I personally use the FireFTP extension for firefox. But I also use WS_FTP (which is a pay-for program).
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 06:41:24 am by Bornes »

Offline Peter

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
    • View Profile
Re: FREE HOSTING FOR YOU - Also some questions.
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 11:43:54 am »
So this is a file hosting site that you created for the sole purpose of FeralHeart? Also why are you saying that we don't have to use free file hosting sites such as Mediafire? Your saying that your site is what we have to pay for?

I don't see a reason for this. Mediafire has private hosting as well as public hosting. Plus, your advertising another site, which, correct me if I am wrong, I think is against the rules...

When I saw your topic title, I had the fear that there were spambots on this forum.

Bornes

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 12:02:28 pm »
So this is a file hosting site that you created for the sole purpose of FeralHeart? Also why are you saying that we don't have to use free file hosting sites such as Mediafire? Your saying that your site is what we have to pay for?
I pay for a site I already own that doesn't use up much space (khat.us). A lot of the storage is going to waste. With my host, I am able to create new folders, ftp accounts, etc.
I created a new ftp account and directory for the sole purpose of FH users, which takes nothing and costs no more for me. The site already existed.

I was merely listing it as an alternative to free sites. You do not "have" to use mine. And no, you don't pay for it. I pay for it. It is free for you.
I don't see a reason for this. Mediafire has private hosting as well as public hosting. Plus, your advertising another site, which, correct me if I am wrong, I think is against the rules...
I am merely listing it as an alternative. For people who don't like waiting for mediafire's links (the little countdown crap) or putting in captchas. Also for people who prefer to use an ftp interface instead of web-based.
Also people who wanted to build their own simple websites. I am not saying it is a replacement. You can use what you want. I am merely offering.
When I saw your topic title, I had the fear that there were spambots on this forum.
I'm sorry. I guess this does count as advertising. But it's related to FH, as I made the directory for FH users. It's as much advertising as anyone advertising a link to their maps, mesh, etc. is.
Unless you mean my constant mentioning of khat.us. The only reason I do this is to clear up confusion when I mention "my site".

If I were advertising "my site" encouraging you to visit it simply because it's my site, I would've made it a hyperlink so you could click it. xP

Sorry for the confusion.

Offline Ibilis

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 10:35:15 am »
Typical... you try to do something nice for other people and they are kinda rude to you...
For me great idea. I'll probably upload there my stuff (at the moment just one preset xD)
I'm very sorry if you dunno what I mean. I'm from Poland an not always write as perfect (in english) as English.

Bornes

Re: FREE HOSTING FOR YOU (FTP for your FH stuff)
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 10:49:07 am »
It's no worry. Being a new user this does seem kind of fishy from the outside.

Offline Jitters

• Mutant Turtle
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 146
  • Hero in a Half Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 05:27:37 pm »
Typical... you try to do something nice for other people and they are kinda rude to you...
For me great idea. I'll probably upload there my stuff (at the moment just one preset xD)

Raiku was just stating their opinion and asking questions, which hardly counts as rude.

I find myself reluctant to trust the site, personally. I know Mediafire is safe, and run by a legit team. The other thing preventing me from using yours is the fact you weren't maintaining it before, so I can't trust it'll stay up and running.

I have a website (with hosting) that I do not use very often (khat.us). It is very quickly dying as I have no time to update any of the pages on there

Also FTP is plain annoying, and most 12 year olds won't know how to use it. Mediafire is drag and drop, then copy and paste and then you're done. FTP isn't that easy. We have to remember FH is very much for kids, and the easier we keep things, the better.

Also we don't know about the security of your site. If you weren't maintaining it, then that likely means you have no additional security. If your site became mainstream on FH I'd predict it would get hacked and shut down.

I really admire the enthusiasm, but I don't believe this is a better option than mediafire.

Bornes

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 09:24:49 pm »

Raiku was just stating their opinion and asking questions, which hardly counts as rude.

I find myself reluctant to trust the site, personally. I know Mediafire is safe, and run by a legit team. The other thing preventing me from using yours is the fact you weren't maintaining it before, so I can't trust it'll stay up and running.
Do you know what it takes to maintain an FTP?
Here's what it takes: Not deleting it. Everything is else keeps running by itself.
What I wasn't maintaining was making regular updates to the other parts of the site, which involves content that changes every month or so.
Being as the site itself has been online since sometime in 2005, you have nothing to worry about it "mysteriously going down" or anything.
Also FTP is plain annoying, and most 12 year olds won't know how to use it. Mediafire is drag and drop, then copy and paste and then you're done. FTP isn't that easy. We have to remember FH is very much for kids, and the easier we keep things, the better.
At the time I didn't know that. But personally, I think if you can figure out how to make a mesh/map/preset/etc., you should be able to figure out how to use an ftp. And that audience is what this is aimed at.
Also we don't know about the security of your site. If you weren't maintaining it, then that likely means you have no additional security. If your site became mainstream on FH I'd predict it would get hacked and shut down.
I use 1&1. Honestly I don't know their security, but I highly doubt this would ever become mainstream. Additionally, there's no reason to hack it-- the password is right there. Someone being stupid and/or malicious could just log in and delete everybody's files.

Now if I were going to make personal FTP accounts with individual folders, usernames, and passwords, you might have something to say there, but I can't/won't do that.

This is just an alternative. The main draw is the ability to create a small website, if you happen to know html. That's really it.
I really admire the enthusiasm, but I don't believe this is a better option than mediafire.
Then don't use it...? No one is saying you have to.

Thank you for the comments.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 09:27:35 pm by Bornes »

Offline Toxikk

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 16
  • HoNk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 01:02:53 am »
I'm sorry, but, I do believe this is against the rules, and I suggest you don't spam here..
This is just another site that doesn't need to be advertised..
Sorry, our moderators are very active.. I advise you to get rid of this ASAP...
Really
This is a forum and game for fun and I don't want it clouded by ads..

Bornes

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 10:01:05 am »
It's as much an ad as me showing off an FH map or mesh.
It is not spam.
=/

Offline Toxikk

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 16
  • HoNk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 10:20:32 am »
Feral Heart maps and presets aren't ads, and they are allowed.
Website ads are not.