Author Topic: "I, Predator" -AnimalPlanet  (Read 26298 times)

Offline Zarago

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 47
  • Officially left.
    • View Profile
Re: "I, Predator" -AnimalPlanet
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2013, 12:18:23 am »
It's hardly fair though. At least give it a chance to eat something before attacking it.

Well, the thing is, Nature isn't always fair >.<

This is true, and although I couldn't imagine it happening in nature, it's a good, yet risky, strategy for surviving in this game.

I also hold no pity for the cheetah. You must keep your distance from them or stick with another herd otherwise they'll pick off all the does that you've gathered. It's only fair we give them a beating, even if it does lead to their starvation.

It's satisfying when it's successful, yet irritating when you're the one being beat about, but I can accept it.

Offline SteampunkWolfdog

• That British Snob
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 157
    • ClockworkCarnivore
    • felislupus
    • @charliehowls2
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2013, 03:45:37 pm »
I've watched a video of a cheetah hunting gazelle. All the gazelle run away from it to try to escape; they don't face the cheetah or attack it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0K4XKTx7T4g

Preset (Updated 3/1/17)

(Formerly SpiritSilverWolf)

Offline Zarago

• Finest Floof
  • Officially left.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2013, 07:40:15 pm »
Of course they would - even though the cheetah isn't the most muscular of big cats, it can overpower a gazelle. Besides, gazelle are very flighty and cautious animals - it's extremely unlikely they'd rebel and attack a cheetah.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 07:51:19 am by Zarago »

Offline Abomine

• Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 41
  • I'm that weird chick who's obsessed with deer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2013, 02:43:55 am »
Of course they would - even though the cheetah isn't the most muscular of big cats, it can overpower a gazelle.. Besides, gazelle are very flighty and cautious animals - it's extremely unlikely they'd rebel and attack a cheetah.

You'd be surprised.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BI8REBtjqQw&feature=player_detailpage

To Isengard! To Isengard!

My deviantART

Offline Zarago

• Finest Floof
  • Officially left.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2013, 07:52:42 am »
unlikely

And that doesn't look like a Thompson's gazelle to me.

Offline SteampunkWolfdog

• That British Snob
  • Community Champion
    • ClockworkCarnivore
    • felislupus
    • @charliehowls2
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2013, 01:04:52 pm »
Of course they would - even though the cheetah isn't the most muscular of big cats, it can overpower a gazelle.. Besides, gazelle are very flighty and cautious animals - it's extremely unlikely they'd rebel and attack a cheetah.

You'd be surprised.

...If I were a cheetah, I think I'd go for the females rather than the males for reduced chance of injury.

Preset (Updated 3/1/17)

Offline catsanddogsandbirds

• Floof-O-Meter: 28
  • ~by the candelight I glow~
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2013, 01:26:02 pm »
I've watched a video of a cheetah hunting gazelle. All the gazelle run away from it to try to escape; they don't face the cheetah or attack it.

Yes. that is true, but us people playing the gazelle? We aren't gazelle. We're people. XD Humans think differentley than gazelle, sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse. If we were playing humans against...or I dunno...dinosaurs or something, it'd be totally fine if we randomly all attacked the dinos. I really don't understand why people get so upset when we do that. It rarely ever works, anyway, so if you're feeling bad for the cheetah or think it's unfair...think again. XD Most of the time, while attacking, we get killed.

Offline greenart6

• The Chicken God
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 143
  • Spooky glowy ghost dogs
    • WornSkateboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2013, 01:57:14 pm »

You'd be surprised.

...If I were a cheetah, I think I'd go for the females rather than the males for reduced chance of injury.

But in real life, I'd think a male would then protect the female? Maybe, I know nothing about gazelles lol

Offline Abomine

• Floof-O-Meter: 41
  • I'm that weird chick who's obsessed with deer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2013, 04:31:44 pm »
unlikely

And that doesn't look like a Thompson's gazelle to me.

I didn't know we were talking about any specific species of gazelle.

To Isengard! To Isengard!

My deviantART

Offline SteampunkWolfdog

• That British Snob
  • Community Champion
    • ClockworkCarnivore
    • felislupus
    • @charliehowls2
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2013, 04:37:59 pm »

Yes. that is true, but us people playing the gazelle? We aren't gazelle. We're people. XD Humans think differentley than gazelle, sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse. If we were playing humans against...or I dunno...dinosaurs or something, it'd be totally fine if we randomly all attacked the dinos. I really don't understand why people get so upset when we do that. It rarely ever works, anyway, so if you're feeling bad for the cheetah or think it's unfair...think again. XD Most of the time, while attacking, we get killed.

I suppose I just like things to be realistic and encourage people to be realistic in things like this. I know as humans it's impossible for us to know how gazelles or cheetahs think, and some people will interpret predator and prey relationships differently to others. I think gazelles would flee a cheetah, other might think gazelles would confront a cheetah. But going by the videos posted, it looks like both scenarios happen.

Preset (Updated 3/1/17)