Author Topic: So... What happened to Bonfire?  (Read 1902 times)

ZearTheAkumian

So... What happened to Bonfire?
« on: March 16, 2014, 10:03:46 pm »
A note to the Moderators and everyone else: This is not a threat to the people of Bonfire, I just had to get it off my chest since it's a increasing weight, if there's something I should change... such as the topic, let me know and I will opply-ZearTheAkumian

Zear here, here to talk about something... serious. If you read the title then yes it's about Bonfire, no not about the common lag hence the nickname Lagfire, I meant the nuisances there. over the last months I seen Bonfire become from a Roleplay haven to a nuisance haven, name them all people... Mate Centers, Movie Spammers, Caps spammers, Powerplayers, etc etc everywhere, it's a shame that Bonfire had to go downhill since I last joined I think around April last year, but this, was unexpected, I know that Bonfire is a place for trolls, spammers, buttswingers, powerplayers, godmodders, sparkledogs, glittercats, mate beggars, anti-fanbases, you name it. But why can't we call Mate Center's a threat my brain wonders? Of course it's used to lower Mate Beggars, but since they use full caps to they to communicate better with others, Caps spam violates the rules, and there's another question my brain can't solve; Why can't Mate Center's form a party so they won't spam the chat with full caps? Surely I act like a child at times, the memory of mine is such a wonder. And I have also nothing against Roleplayers, mostly Unliterates, except the ones that Powerplay and Godmod, making people highly upset. As the thing goes, the Moderator uses a red chat post (such as this one) to warn people no to do something(Foul language, sexual behavior, spamming the chat, etc), but sometimes they warn the whole chat not to spam or something like that, but to my slowly decreased time on FH, I seen no moderator even if they appear like normal players, ether if that the spamming the chat lowered a little, or there just trying to moderate other areas such as the Plains. So, here's the big question of this discussion: Are you tired of the nuisances in Bonfire? Do you think Mate Center's are rule breakers if they spam the chat with full caps trying to get the center moving normally? Should Bonfire be moderated more often my a moderator or two? Let me know by posting, but please make sure that it follows both the game rules and the forum rules.. would 'cha kindly? Anyways... Zear out. -ZearTheAkumian

Offline WhiteLightHeart

• iTrumpet~<3
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 230
  • Seems legit
    • WhiteLightHeart
    • View Profile
Re: So... What happened to Bonfire?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 10:56:19 pm »
[1] Are you tired of the nuisances in Bonfire? [2] Do you think Mate Center's are rule breakers if they spam the chat with full caps trying to get the center moving normally? [3] Should Bonfire be moderated more often my a moderator or two?
Let's see, here...

1.) "Nuisances"
Well, for starters, Bonfire has always had a tendency to be a bit of a madhouse since FH was first released--not just since last year. And, in some ways, it's even like that by design (though it wasn't intentonal). It is a small, circular map, as well as a "dead-end" map (ever since the introduction of Lonely Cave in late 2011), which people are pushed together into the same areas. It's also a common spot for Rps of all sorts, very accepting and creative, and so it's only natural that users of all ages flock there. Especially since it's one of the best spots to RP TLK (just because that cliff looks a bit like Pride Rock, even though it's a far cry from true accuracy), young users are often excited to jump into a map with lots of people who also want to RP out their favorite Disney characters.
This said, powerplaying/godmodding, "loud" rp and general parent/mate begging can sometimes occur with users who are less exerienced RPers.
Parent/mate begging on its own is really just a search for someone to RP with--it's not wrong, though sometimes people do have issues with being tactful about their approach (block buttons if it gets bad).
Regarding trolls, though, it should be stated as a fact that trolls love crowded areas. Bonfire is crowded, and a single post can reach 80+ users or more at a single time.
Therefore, it's no surprise that Bonfire has its share of trolls, as well as innocent users who want to RP.

And so, "nuisances" can be tiring, but many of these are a matter of how you handle it.
If it is an irritation, block it. If it is a rule-breaking instance (including bullying, etc.), then report it to staff to ensure that it does not happen again.

2.) Mate Centers - Rule-breaking or no?
Mate Centers on their own, contrary to popular belief, are actually fairly innocent users.
They get a mostly undeserved name as spammers, when often times they only post a real "caps-locked" post every now and then, which on its own is not spamming, nor rule-breaking. Granted, if everything they say is caps-locked, then it does get irritating, and it may be worth whispering them to ask if they could lay off the caps lock. Or, simply block them.
Now, if they were writing things like:
S
D
FS
DGSDF
ED
DE
VBDE
VB
EDF
VBDF
V
DF
V
^like this in the chats, then it is spam.
But if it's coherent speech and messages, then it's not spamming.
Block them if necessary, or whisper them to see if they'd be willing to do a party chat instead (as some will do this), but if it still seems to be an issue, whisper a staff member, and we'll be happy to come in and check on the situation.
As a general rule of thumb, though, Mate Centers aren't doing anything wrong with a caps-locked post every now and then.

3.) Moderators in Bonfire?
Obviously, Bonfire is one map with perhaps the biggest reputation for needing some referees in it at any given time (especially during active hours).
This said, moderators are in Bonfire quite often--even if you don't see them. I myself, when I'm online, I rarely leave it alone for more than half an hour, and make it a point to check into it frequently when I can.
The same goes for the rest of the staff, and we do frequent Bonfire perhaps more than any other map (perhaps rivaled by Fluorite, where sometimes you will see staff minding Stone Bridge or another area).
Just as well, regarding the MOD red text, keep in mind that while the staff in the past did use this frequently for General chat, it's good to keep in mind that just because you don't see staff spouting red text everywhere, doesn't mean we aren't there, watching the chats. More often than not, we prefer to work silently, since there's no need to disturb the entire map when we can address a single misbehaving user directly, and quietly. This way, it also keeps from causing unnecessary name-shaming on the user who had been misbehaving.
The only time you would see the red text from a staff member would be a multitude of misbehaving users at once, and it would be inefficient to handle each one, one at a time.

This said, staff are always watching Bonfire, perhaps even more keenly than the others. However, if there is a time where staff are not around to see misbehaving users, take a screenshot and report it to us--if everyone did this, it would be the only effective way to truly wipe out gross rule-breaking and rude behavior in our maps.
|| ~Avatar by Kikiorylandia, Sig commissioned by Wolf_Memories~ ||
|| Thank you. <3 ||

ZearTheAkumian

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 11:15:03 pm »
[1] Are you tired of the nuisances in Bonfire? [2] Do you think Mate Center's are rule breakers if they spam the chat with full caps trying to get the center moving normally? [3] Should Bonfire be moderated more often my a moderator or two?
Let's see, here...

1.) "Nuisances"
Well, for starters, Bonfire has always had a tendency to be a bit of a madhouse since FH was first released--not just since last year. And, in some ways, it's even like that by design (though it wasn't intentonal). It is a small, circular map, as well as a "dead-end" map (ever since the introduction of Lonely Cave in late 2011), which people are pushed together into the same areas. It's also a common spot for Rps of all sorts, very accepting and creative, and so it's only natural that users of all ages flock there. Especially since it's one of the best spots to RP TLK (just because that cliff looks a bit like Pride Rock, even though it's a far cry from true accuracy), young users are often excited to jump into a map with lots of people who also want to RP out their favorite Disney characters.
This said, powerplaying/godmodding, "loud" rp and general parent/mate begging can sometimes occur with users who are less exerienced RPers.
Parent/mate begging on its own is really just a search for someone to RP with--it's not wrong, though sometimes people do have issues with being tactful about their approach (block buttons if it gets bad).
Regarding trolls, though, it should be stated as a fact that trolls love crowded areas. Bonfire is crowded, and a single post can reach 80+ users or more at a single time.
Therefore, it's no surprise that Bonfire has its share of trolls, as well as innocent users who want to RP.

And so, "nuisances" can be tiring, but many of these are a matter of how you handle it.
If it is an irritation, block it. If it is a rule-breaking instance (including bullying, etc.), then report it to staff to ensure that it does not happen again.

2.) Mate Centers - Rule-breaking or no?
Mate Centers on their own, contrary to popular belief, are actually fairly innocent users.
They get a mostly undeserved name as spammers, when often times they only post a real "caps-locked" post every now and then, which on its own is not spamming, nor rule-breaking. Granted, if everything they say is caps-locked, then it does get irritating, and it may be worth whispering them to ask if they could lay off the caps lock. Or, simply block them.
Now, if they were writing things like:
S
D
FS
DGSDF
ED
DE
VBDE
VB
EDF
VBDF
V
DF
V
^like this in the chats, then it is spam.
But if it's coherent speech and messages, then it's not spamming.
Block them if necessary, or whisper them to see if they'd be willing to do a party chat instead (as some will do this), but if it still seems to be an issue, whisper a staff member, and we'll be happy to come in and check on the situation.
As a general rule of thumb, though, Mate Centers aren't doing anything wrong with a caps-locked post every now and then.

3.) Moderators in Bonfire?
Obviously, Bonfire is one map with perhaps the biggest reputation for needing some referees in it at any given time (especially during active hours).
This said, moderators are in Bonfire quite often--even if you don't see them. I myself, when I'm online, I rarely leave it alone for more than half an hour, and make it a point to check into it frequently when I can.
The same goes for the rest of the staff, and we do frequent Bonfire perhaps more than any other map (perhaps rivaled by Fluorite, where sometimes you will see staff minding Stone Bridge or another area).
Just as well, regarding the MOD red text, keep in mind that while the staff in the past did use this frequently for General chat, it's good to keep in mind that just because you don't see staff spouting red text everywhere, doesn't mean we aren't there, watching the chats. More often than not, we prefer to work silently, since there's no need to disturb the entire map when we can address a single misbehaving user directly, and quietly. This way, it also keeps from causing unnecessary name-shaming on the user who had been misbehaving.
The only time you would see the red text from a staff member would be a multitude of misbehaving users at once, and it would be inefficient to handle each one, one at a time.

This said, staff are always watching Bonfire, perhaps even more keenly than the others. However, if there is a time where staff are not around to see misbehaving users, take a screenshot and report it to us--if everyone did this, it would be the only effective way to truly wipe out gross rule-breaking and rude behavior in our maps.

I understand, but I just had to post it, I am not sure if I must punish myself to a corner to make a post about the problems in Bonfire... it's the only way I can find Roleplay without joining a Roleplays with so little members and/or less active member. It's not like I'm a emo, just couldn't take the pressure with my mini Vesuvius building up when I'm in Bonfire, waiting for the right time to explode into hatred of these nuisances and Mate Centers, maybe the moderators are doing there best, even trolls love crowded areas. I am indeed tired of blocking Mate Centers and other annoyances for life, suppose I can whisper these Mate Centers to lay off on the caps, so I wouldn't get into trouble for trying to be a imposter of being a Moderator and tell people not to a certain thing(Powerplay, Caps Lock, spam, etc). Thanks for the tip, though :)

Offline Lukas245

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 4
  • You Shall Not Touch My Cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 12:18:03 pm »
1)Im quite tired of bonfire actually, but I usually go there since my friends can be a Bonfire Hog.

I would like just to have a lovely cup of tea without getting buttswinged over for one....But still Bonfire is

a place with a bunch of nuisances but remember, you will still have some good memories there.

I've seen countless nuisances and I'm well tired of them, but I guess it will becomes very funny in our

own time.

2)Yes I count them as rule breakers, spamming in chat is hogging more of the chat, making it even more

difficult to see what your RP buddy is trying to post, and it can be extremely annoying. Honestly the

party idea is probably the best idea I've heard in a LONG while on this game. But Still if we can't do

the party idea, why not just ban Mate centers. I know their would be a whole entire increase of Mate

Beggars, But I'm pretty sure they didn't give us the block button for nothin'

3)I hear mods all the time saying things such as 'Oh, We inspect bonfire alot and blah blah blah'

Honestly if they actually did in my opinion, the community in bonfire would've been perfectly fine.

I've NEVER seen a mod at bonfire post things such as PLEASE STOP SPAMMING. Because I'm pretty sure

Every mate center in the world would've been banned right now.Don't get me wrong...If they actually

are mods there......I think they aren't doing much about it then. 

I used to be WolfInCourt on the forums, but just call me Kuesuto now or Kue.
FH Username:Lukas245
IW Username:WolfinHeulen
WolfSoul Username: Kuesuto
           See you soon~
[img/]http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2013/077/e/d/dubstep_art_by_bronyswag-d5yfnkr.png[/img]

Offline Roniver

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 07:26:34 am »
I find myself in bonfire all the time... It seems like the only place where an alien or robot roleplayer can even get the shortest roleplay..

I HATE TLK RPERS! The lit ones are amazing but, WHY! THIS GAME WAS BASED ON TLK SO ALEAST MAKE IT LOOK GOOD! YOU ARE RUINING THE MOVIE!

Offline Feareh

• The Jaguar Artist
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 195
  • Where is the Walrus Species?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 08:18:52 am »
I am indeed tired of blocking Mate Centers and other annoyances for life, suppose I can whisper these Mate Centers to lay off on the caps, so I wouldn't get into trouble for trying to be a imposter of being a Moderator and tell people not to a certain thing(Powerplay, Caps Lock, spam, etc). Thanks for the tip, though Smiley

Everyone has a voice within the game, if a person is doing something that is effecting your gameplay then by all means ask the other user in a polite manner to change. You wont get banned for asking a person to "Lighten the spam" or anything in that manner that is addressing something that is bad.
But yes Bonfire is always look after, even though you may not see any staff there, they do there best to monitor it to the best of there abilities. Remember, these mods are people too and cant always keep a eye on it 24/7.
I HATE TLK RPERS! The lit ones are amazing but, WHY! THIS GAME WAS BASED ON TLK SO ALEAST MAKE IT LOOK GOOD! YOU ARE RUINING THE MOVIE!
If a person wants to add there own twist to the Lion King Story then let them. Feral Heart encourages all creative minds. Whether it may seem bad to you, it might not to some others. But everyone has there own liking to the story anyways.
I Stalk from time to time...I have moved on to other things but do miss this place. Good times
Add me on discord:
Bakujio 🐺#7358

Offline Redlinelies

• The FeralHeart Guru
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 792
  • Modoru Pride
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 04:56:31 pm »

3)I hear mods all the time saying things such as 'Oh, We inspect bonfire alot and blah blah blah'

Honestly if they actually did in my opinion, the community in bonfire would've been perfectly fine.

I've NEVER seen a mod at bonfire post things such as PLEASE STOP SPAMMING. Because I'm pretty sure

Every mate center in the world would've been banned right now.Don't get me wrong...If they actually

are mods there......I think they aren't doing much about it then. 

I will try to be civil in this one, but the so called spam that people claim mate centers create are at many times over dramatizations, or in general nothing close to actual problematic rule breaking. Someone using caps a few times over the norms is to receive a warning at most. We've had people complain about mate centers, power players, and what else is on their schedule, but as much valid and justified complains and reports we can get(and that we look into), many users also enforce false rules, make many average players out to be more crooks than they are and expect us to simply ban them for posting in caps a few times, or killing them by powerplaying. So no, not all mate centers would've been banned mind you. But there's many players that think people that shouldn't be banned should, because they have their own picture of how the rules should work and be enforced, without having any clue of what it means to enforce them or why they are there for this game.

When speaking of warnings, who says mods are capsing out in local chat every time someone breaks any rules? I will tell you here and now, the majority of the time they probably don't, and it saves people and the itself chat from a lot of fuzz and pointless drama if things are handled silently between the rule breaker(s) and the in-game mod. Even though not all cases will be, many cases are better handled this way.

I can admit however bonfire is the most clashing place in FeralHeart due to the major mix of users and various types of roleplaying and behavior, new or old. But even the game is a big mix of people of various interests, intentions and behavior. I come from different game communities that I've taken part of before I even sat foot in here, and FeralHeart is by far the most complex and deep one(which also makes it interesting in ways). I know for a fact that things slip by and that there's people getting away with rude behavior, language, spamming etc, but there's not many other games or communities where it doesn't either. What I do know is that there's people that have been dealing with the foul behavior in the community for years, and people who still do.

Just like many other good people we have in this community, if you personally see these troubles first hand and want it brought to light or even explained(if you don't understand what certain actions mean), you're just a few messages away from making it a better place, if you don't want to help or spend the time doing so, that's fine, but it cannot be expected that a few responsible and trusted individuals can take care of every little crack and dent found.

I'm sorry to say that I think this thread is better of locked because having a post here going on about an ancient subject of bonfire going downhill(Even though it is the same bonfire since 3 years back), or how can't be present(when the truth is people expect the mods to give their life to the game), will sadly not get anyone anywhere, nor will it make the mood better around the boards or route towards constructive criticism. This thread like others before it could easily flip just to paint the path for nothing needed.

Ally's reply above really mentioned some good things to keep in mind, and I hope mine added onto what had already been said.
Former community manager of FeralHeart