Author Topic: A Guide to UTAU's  (Read 2954 times)

Offline wolfsquad

• Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 61
  • Did you take all your medication today?
    • View Profile
    • Information
A Guide to UTAU's
« on: February 10, 2015, 01:07:21 am »
A Guide to UTAU and Owning A UTAU
Why did I create this?
I own a UTAU and many people I know adore my adorable UTAU babies. <3 So, they want a UTAU of their own....
But, there are requirements and rules you must follow! So, I will help you with that. :3
Let's start off with a basic FAQ.

What's a UTAU?
A UTAU is a fictional robotic-like voice synethsizer.

How do I make a voicebank!?
Whoa whoa now! You can't ask this yet!

What's a voicebank?[/b[
A voicebank is a is what makes your UTAU sing as itself. Creating a public voicebank for people to use is very time-consuming and difficult.

How do I make a voicebank?
Now you may have the answer to this question now that you know what a voicebank.
Look at this little video guide I've created for ya'.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRVOJ4CgfxM

How do I treat a UTAU character?
Like a baby of course! UTAU's are very delicate, and they come in many different ways. Example...
Your UTAU character may be a blond sensitive male who is gay, or, your UTAU character is a brunette hot-tempered female. <3

Now, we may go onto the program, UTAU, which helps you sing with your UTAU! ;3

Where do I download UTAU?
Best bet is the Official UTAU Website.
Newest version is always at the top. You have an installer you can use, and then you have a .zip file you can download and extract onto your comp.
Installer is on top, .zip is on the bottom.

Do I need my computer to be in Japanese?
It's not required, UTAU can work if it's in heiroglyphics(Mine did), but I've seen its more prone to errors and glitches.
Your best bet is to just switch your computer over to Japanese Locale. It does NOT make everything on your computer in japanese. Switching the locale only changes the language for NON-UNICODE programs. Stuff like installers for universal programs WILL appear in Japanese, but most everything on your computer will remain in english.

How do I switch to Japanese Locale?
Go to your control panel, and find something that says along the lines of 'Regional and Language Options'.
Go to the last tab 'administrative', and click on the button that says 'Change System Locale'. Select Japanese in the dropdown, and click apply.
NOTE: Changing your locale requires restarting your computer. If you'd lose stuff by restarting, save everything and close it down, or wait til' you finish it.
If you have XP, you may need a language pack disc.

My UTAU won't sing!
There's different reasons for this. 1. you're using a computer not on JP locale with a hiragana-only voicebank (IE Defoko), 2. You're using a romaji UTAU with a hiragana UST without aliases (UTAUs cannot sing what they dont have in their bank.) Vice versa with a hiragana UTAU on a romaji bank.

Am I stuck trying to learn Japanese to read UTAU?
pfft no. There's english patches for it. You can download the latest one here.

How do I use the english patch?
Under your UTAU folder, create a new folder and call it 'res'. Exctract everything from the folder you downloaded above ^ and place it in the res file. If you have UTAU open, close it and open again =w=

How do I make my UTAU sing?
Well, you need a UST. Handy little files that save you assloads of time trying to write out your own UST for every song you do. Here's a good collection of them.

How do I open a UST?
First tab at the top, second option.

How do I use a VSQ?
First tab at the top, 6th option. You may need to change the box in the bottom righthand corner from SMF to VSQ.

What are some do's and dont's of recording an UTAU?
Try to keep the sounds the same tone, and about 1 second long. Pronunciation is also a biggie. When you save your sound, save as a .wav with the name in lowercase. If your utau has a Ka sound with a capital K, and you're playing a UST that has a ka with a lowercase k, it won't render your oto settings.

What is an OTO?
An OTO is a file that tells UTAU what part of your sounds to play, cut off, and stretch. It helps make an UTAU less choppy.

Where do I get an OTO?
Gotta make it, or have someone make it for you. An OTO is pretty much essential for every UTAU, so please have one.

What makes an UTAU character good?
Please refer tothis thread.

Is it OK to do cover songs?
Seeing that almost every UTAU known to man has done cover songs one point, yes it's totally fine.

Some extra downloads to help you with your UTAU Singing-
Audacity <3
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you saw the video on how to create a UTAU voicebank.....
You'd know that you need a reclist. Here it is, for you.
[/font][/i]
Main reclist:
?????????
a, i, u, e, o
?????????
ka, ki, ku, ke, ko
??????????????
kya, kyi, kyu, kye, kyo
?????????
ga, gi, gu, ge, go
??????????????
gya, gyi, gyu, gye, gyo
?????????
sa, shi, su, se, so
?????????
za, ji, zu, ze, zo
???????????
sha, shu, she, sho
???????????
ja, ju, je, jo
?????????
ta, chi, tsu, te, to
?????
da, de, do
???????????
cha, chu, che, cho
?????????
na, ni, nu, ne, no
??????????????
nya, nyi, nyu, nye, nyo
?????????
ha, hi, fu, he, ho
??????????????
hya, hyi, hyu, hye, hyo
?????????
ba, bi, bu, be, bo
??????????????
bya, byi, byu, bye, byo
?????????
pa, pi, pu, pe, po
??????????????
pya, pyi, pyu, pye, pyo
?????????
ma, mi, mu, me, mo
??????????????
mya, myi, myu, mye, myo
?????
ya, yu, yo
?????????
ra, ri, ru, re, ro
???
wa, wo
?
n

**I'm actually not sure if sounds like ?? (nyi)?or??? (nye) actually appear in the Japanese language as there is no symbol for 'yi' and the symbol for 'ye' has been omitted in modern Japanese. The article on Wikipedia on hiragana only states that
A small version of the hiragana for ya, yu or yo (?, ? or ? respectively) may be added to hiragana ending in i. This changes the i vowel sound to a glide (palatalization) to a, u or o. Addition of the small y kana is called y?on. For example, ? (ki) plus ? (small ya) becomes ?? (kya).
it does not say anything about the other two sounds so I think if you're trying to make a voicebank with as few sounds as possible, you can omit the sounds ending in 'ye' or 'yi'.

Other sounds:
These aren't necessary if you just want to be able to use the UTAUloid for Japanese, but you can record some extra sounds that may allow the UTAUloid to mimic other languages easier. They're not actually written like this in actual Japanese as far as I'm concerned, but in order for UTAU to differentiate, many people include the extra sounds written like this:

?
hu
Can also be pronounced as "fu" as seen in the main reclist although a Japanese f sounds like a cross between an f and an h anyway.
???????????
fa, fi, fe, fo
???????????
tsa, tsi, tse, tso
?????
ti, tu
??????
di, dzu, du
?????
ye, yi
The yi is seen very rarely, because the consonant-i sound is used anyway when doing a consonant-y-vowel sound, see also the ** section above for more information
??????????????
sya, syi, syu, sye, syo
Uses the same characters as sha, shu, she and sho.
?
si
Uses the same character as shi, some also type it as ?? (swi)
????????
wi, we, wu
The wu sound has never been used because the consonant-u sound is used anyway when doing a consonant-w-vowel sound.
The characters for wi (?) and we (?) are obsolete and are no longer used in modern Japanese, and are thus not typeable on most computers.
Other recordings using wa, wi, wu, we and wo.
??????????????
kwa, kwi, kwu, kwe, kwo
??????????????
gwa, gwi, gwu, gwe, gwo
??????????????
swa, swi, swu, swe, swo
??????????????
twa, twi, twu, twe, two
??????????????
dwa, dwi, dwu, dwe, dwo
??????????????
fwa, fwi, fwu, fwe, fwo  OR
hwa, hwi, hwu, hwe, hwo (use the same characters as fa, fi, fe and fo.)

Basically all the other consonant-u characters can also become consonant-w-vowel characters if the small hiraganas are put after them, but sounds such as hwa or bwo not actually type-able (ex, they must be copy-pasted from another word then combined)
?????????????
va, vi, vu, ve, vo
These characters beginning in V are usually only used when bringing English names into Japanese. Other English loan words may use the 'b' sound instead. These characters are always written in katakana and have no hiragana equivalent.
Also, many people choose to record a few breath sounds.

Remember, if you need ANY more help, I am always here to contact. I will answer/reply to your questions and/or concerns with the best of my ability! <3