Author Topic: Automatic Text Options  (Read 2769 times)

Offline A.P.S.

• Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 38
    • View Profile
Automatic Text Options
« on: April 06, 2017, 08:14:35 am »
I've seen a lot of people using colors and fonts for text (I actually got reminded of this by https://feral-heart.com/smf/index.php?topic=60121.0 ) and I think it looks pretty nice! But me and probably a lot of other people are too lazy to put in the codes every single time they post, which is why I thought of a program, option or plug in that allows people to put in size, font, color, etc to automatically appear when they make a post, most likely accessed via profile. This way, people can easily have nice looking text without having to put in all the codes every time.

I know, it may not be possible and has probably been thought of before, but I just wanted to put something here anyways.

Thanks for reading!

Offline Azurain

• 🍃🍃🍃🍃🍃
  • Member Of The Season
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 183
  • an actual forest gremlin
    • lark-bird
    • View Profile
Re: Automatic Text Options
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 08:26:06 am »
Well that's kinda what the top buttons are for above the reply box. xD

It sounds nice but I'm really not to sure on that feature. To do that there would just have to be more options at the top and it might get cluttered. I actually posted a topic suggesting more color options and I got basically the same answer.

But it is a nice suggestion nonetheless.

Offline A.P.S.

• Honored Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 08:53:40 am »
But I mean just a little section somewhere on the profile where you can put in size, font and color to automatically change posts you make with no color, size or font already added to them. Someone told me that there are other forums that have that or something like it.

Offline Morgra

• I don't like sand...
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 347
  • Ever been killed by a spider? I was
    • DinksterDaily
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 09:36:42 am »
Are you referring to some BBCode buttons above the Quick Reply box? Because i'm guessing that would be a modification Raz would have to do and i'm not sure that's in the current plans, but ya never know, we could look into this option even though it might look cluttered above Quick Reply. If you want the BBCode buttons, you can always just hit the "Reply" button, but I don't think that's as automatic as you may be looking for.

There is a simple workaround that I discovered with a bit of research. Add an extension to your browser that allows you to paste something from it's "clipboard." For example, I am on Chrome and I use the extension called Paste it that lets me input some text to it and either just click the button up by my extensions, have a hotkey (Alt + V which seems very simple to do) and a right-click context menu option. So for instance, I typed into the Paste it "Set Paste Text" input box and simply added in my frequently used BBCode color. Now whenever I click the button, hit Alt + V or right click and select the option, my coloring is already added in for me. Now this only really allows for one set of "pasted code" but i'm sure there are extensions/plugins that allow for more than one in your browser, you just might have to do some digging. Your text also saves for every time you open up your browser so you don't have to keep inputting what you want to paste out.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 09:39:32 am by Morgra »
Profile pic by Edolicious

People don't think the universe be like it is, but it do.

Offline A.P.S.

• Honored Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 09:57:01 am »
I'm not seeing any BBCode buttons above the Quick-Reply box. The only buttons near it is the button to close/hide the Quick-Reply menu, the post button and the preview button, as well as the little blocky triangle in the corner of the text section to change the size of the box thing. (I'm bad at explaining things but I hope you see what I'm talking about.)

In the actually-typing-a-message thing, I do see a thing to change size, font and color.

Also, I said the thing in the profile, not the Quick-Reply or full message thing. This is just a suggestion, but I think it'd work better there in the profile.

Offline Morgra

• I don't like sand...
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 347
  • Ever been killed by a spider? I was
    • DinksterDaily
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2017, 10:20:06 am »
I'm not seeing any BBCode buttons above the Quick-Reply box. The only buttons near it is the button to close/hide the Quick-Reply menu, the post button and the preview button, as well as the little blocky triangle in the corner of the text section to change the size of the box thing. (I'm bad at explaining things but I hope you see what I'm talking about.)

In the actually-typing-a-message thing, I do see a thing to change size, font and color.

Also, I said the thing in the profile, not the Quick-Reply or full message thing. This is just a suggestion, but I think it'd work better there in the profile.

Yes, there's nothing above the Quick Reply box for any BBCode options like buttons, menus, etc. That would have to be some sort of modication if we were to ever consider it. I like your idea for the option to be on the left hand side as a profile button, although i'm not sure how that would work as all of those buttons function as links and not anything else. Who knows, it may be doable. Might be something to look into once a lot of the site work has calmed down.
Profile pic by Edolicious

People don't think the universe be like it is, but it do.

Offline A.P.S.

• Honored Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2017, 10:49:40 am »

Yes, there's nothing above the Quick Reply box for any BBCode options like buttons, menus, etc. That would have to be some sort of modication if we were to ever consider it. I like your idea for the option to be on the left hand side as a profile button, although i'm not sure how that would work as all of those buttons function as links and not anything else. Who knows, it may be doable. Might be something to look into once a lot of the site work has calmed down.

Thank you! Also, how is the site work going and how long do you think it will take? I knew they updated the theme and format of the forums, but that's about it.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 10:51:16 am by A.P.S. »

Offline Bawfle

• Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgement that something is more important than fear.
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 344
  • The Zambisi Pride
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2017, 03:34:28 pm »
I came across this thread and I just wanted to point out that this appears to already be a thing provided on the forum. Though it is not as clear as you may notice in ProBoards. To toggle between the Code View (default view) and the Modifyable Preview (toggled) modes, you just need to press the 'Toggle view' button.

When you are in this Modifyable Preview, and you want to remove a format you added, then you don't have to toggle between modes in order to do so. You can just select 'Remove Formatting' after selecting an area that has formatting applied. You find this button directly to the left of the toggle view. I'm not sure if this is what you were talking about, but what you're describing already is provided on the forum.

Here's a quick preview of the second view in action:

Note that the above preview was just tested with size and colour. Anything provided in the formatting area will work in the toggled view.
However, if you're wanting to add an unlisted colour, font, or spoiler, you may have to toggle back to the default view in order to make those additions.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 10:20:03 pm by Bawfle »

Pixel Doll Commissioned and Coloured by RingoKioko
Inactive // Retired // Gone

Offline A.P.S.

• Honored Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2017, 02:04:23 am »
I'm talking about a option you can save and instantly use it even in the quick reply, not a way to simply view the code.

For a bit better detail, let me explain how I think it would be set up and work:

1: A person goes to their account and sees there is an option to change the font, size, color, etc that is the default options.
2: They set it to what they want.
3: When they post, it automatically (without clicking or typing in anything) uses the options they put.

The only thing you would have to do is go to your profile (unless FH has/makes another way to put this in) once and then every post you make automatically has the options you put it. Plus, if you don't like the options you put, simply go back to your profile and edit it again.

I hope that cleared up some things. Sorry about that. >.<