Author Topic: To Zip or not to Zip  (Read 1797 times)

Offline Raphilion

• HOLD MY MOM
  • Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 65
  • WARNING: I'm a bad friend
    • View Profile
    • DA profile
To Zip or not to Zip
« on: August 12, 2012, 09:52:25 pm »
I am just wondering;
Does it make any difference at all really if you upload an exported map in compressed (zip) form or not for others to download?
I'm trynna help somebody upload a map but the files together are not large so it shouldn't really make a diff, right?

My Canyon Map
Avatar by the Awesome Ruji / Michala

Offline Varagena

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: -7
    • View Profile
Re: To Zip or not to Zip
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 10:02:02 pm »
If you upload them in a ZIP, people can download them all at once instead of one at a time.  It's less of a hassle. 
I see you.....MWAHAHAHAHA.

Offline Raphilion

• HOLD MY MOM
    • View Profile
    • DA profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 10:08:14 pm »
Cool.. Thanks for clarifying that for me XD. Sometimes I just dunno and gotta ask to make sure.

My Canyon Map

Offline littlepinksprite

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 02:26:00 am »
It seems pretty effective to me most of the time to use a zip, but sometimes the downloaders don't understand how to use them, or their computers don't have the recognition software. In that case, you may want to include two options.

Offline Varagena

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 03:06:55 am »
It seems pretty effective to me most of the time to use a zip, but sometimes the downloaders don't understand how to use them, or their computers don't have the recognition software. In that case, you may want to include two options.
Every modern computer can open ZIPs.  They open like normal folders and have folder icons with zippers. 

Offline littlepinksprite

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 03:11:55 am »
If thats true, then they just had no idea what to do with the file, because I have had some people claim that.

Offline Raphilion

• HOLD MY MOM
    • View Profile
    • DA profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 08:18:37 am »
Every modern computer can open ZIPs.  They open like normal folders and have folder icons with zippers. 

That's interesting. When you say that, do you mean without the winrar program? Cause I've always assumed you need the program to open a folder made by that program and for some people who don't understand computers that well, it can be difficult just to explain what to do with the program, let alone download it and use it.

My Canyon Map

Offline Varagena

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 01:12:13 pm »

That's interesting. When you say that, do you mean without the winrar program? Cause I've always assumed you need the program to open a folder made by that program and for some people who don't understand computers that well, it can be difficult just to explain what to do with the program, let alone download it and use it.
Zips don't require WinRAR.  But most other archives (RAR, JAR, etc.) do.  Just explain that zips open like folders.