Author Topic: Man .vs. Predator  (Read 976 times)

Offline Raphilion

• HOLD MY MOM
  • Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 65
  • WARNING: I'm a bad friend
    • View Profile
    • DA profile
Man .vs. Predator
« on: August 23, 2012, 09:12:29 pm »
Or is it "Man .against. Predator"?

The real questions here are;     Why do people kill predators without giving them a chance?
and                                         What defines a problem animal?
  • Do we fear them?
    Do we hate/dislike them?
    Did some of us suffer a bad incident(s) as a child that affected them for the rest of their life?

The animals in question is every predatory animal that is targeted by the human race for being so called 'problem animals'

In America - Wolves and Coyotes kill pets and livestock because they are constantly chased out of their home to make space for more homes for people. And people don't protect their livestock or pets.

In South Africa - Cheetahs and Leopards kill livestock in the southern regions of the country as that is suitable habitat for them. In retaliation; farmers shoot, trap (Using gin-trap or also known as bear-traps, terrible way to trap an animal as they often chew their own foot off to escape!!) and poison the animals, sometimes with a certain compound banned in America for being highly lethal and dangerous: Compound 1080 (Sodium Cyanide).

In Kenya, Tanzania and other such poorer African Countries - Lions and leopards kill livestock and on many unfortunae occasions, people as well. It is sad that people get in caught in the conflict.. If you have ever wonder what wildlife-human conflicts are, look at Tanzania for example. livestock are kept at night in "Kraals" with merely a barrier made of sticks placed together to create a make-shift fence. Most big cats can easily clear the height of those barriers and go in for an easy kill as the animals have nowhere to run. It's a fact, they literally live amongst the lions. People are attacked when traveling (Mostly at night) between work, which is mostly at a farm, and home. Even traveling by bicycle doesn't help as the lions leap out of bushes without warning. The predators even find ways to get into the peoples' homes which are generally made with natural materials like branches and hay, none of which are very strong.
Villagers sometimes retaliate by tracking and killing the lions, killing entire families. Their anger can be comprehended, they lose lives. But what are they doing about it? Are they finding ways to protect themselves or do they just keep killing lions hoping for it to stop?
The more they wait, lions will have less and less fear of humans, possibly dangerously increasing attacks as they find humans easier prey or they just want to get rid of their competition for food. How does one know if the lion killed to eat or to remove competition? If the lion attempted to eat, it was hunting out of hunger. Generally those are lions with problems of weakness such as sore/broken tooth, or other physical injuries that make it nearly impossible to go for stronger, more natural prey. If the lion hasn't attempted to eat their human victim; they may just be showing typical behaviour seen when they kill a hyena cub for example. They are just removing potential competition for territory and/or food. another reason could be they were startled as they suddenly came across a human victim that reacted with fear with triggered their natural instinct to attack.

In India - Tigers (And I believe even leopards) attack livestock, pets in urban areas and sometimes but quite rarely (Compared to Tanzania) people as well. Problem is, unlike with Tanzania and other African countries where people live literally in the wild with no real cities to keep to, people illegally squeeze in further and further a natural green island in the middle of a big city by setting up homes in a park set aside to protect the wildlife inside it.. But then when those people get attacked, they attack the authorities for not protecting them or doing something about it! I mean, really?! The smaller the area becomes, the more frequently you will come across a big cat. something you will never see in the wild as they have huge territories which now seriously overlap due to lack of natural habitat. Now you find them roaming the streets at night going for stray dogs etc.

My Canyon Map
Avatar by the Awesome Ruji / Michala

Offline Raphilion

• HOLD MY MOM
    • View Profile
    • DA profile
Re: Man .vs. Predator
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 09:12:54 pm »
~reserved~

My Canyon Map

Offline Raphilion

• HOLD MY MOM
    • View Profile
    • DA profile
Re: Man .vs. Predator
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 09:13:11 pm »
~Reserved~
I might wanna use this space later on to add.. I'm only starting this thread off.

My Canyon Map