Author Topic: Items Auto Sync  (Read 1189 times)

Offline Raphilion

• HOLD MY MOM
  • Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 65
  • WARNING: I'm a bad friend
    • View Profile
    • DA profile
Items Auto Sync
« on: July 29, 2014, 09:35:01 pm »
I apologize if anybody has already suggested this idea.

Just seeing Buffy ingame, sporting a cowboy hat and antlers didn't seem right. And it turns out I was right! So it gave me an idea [Insert Light bulb Here]

What if Raz's smarts could be put to the test to create something he's practically already done. An Items list Auto Sync, kinda like his Preset Auto Sync? That would just avoid the annoying items miss-sync that you see in game constantly and therefore when you carefully pick something that suites you, your friends will actually see that feather behind the ear instead of giant sword in the mouth O.o (True story)

I'd love to hear your ideas/feedback on this one and hopefully, eventually hear from those Mods and Admins we so love to stalk adore XD

Raphi

My Canyon Map
Avatar by the Awesome Ruji / Michala

Offline Bawfle

• Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgement that something is more important than fear.
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 344
  • The Zambisi Pride
    • View Profile
Re: Items Auto Sync
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 09:52:30 pm »
I believe this has been brought up here a couple times, and like I have mentioned a few times in previous threads, I'm not too sure about this. I'm sude that most people now have Preset sync and it some have come across some situations where it doesn't work or sometimes glitches for most. If there was a way to collect items and make a sync for them then I guess it would be nice (Example, including new items in the source code which KovuLKD obtains for future updates) But there's always that risk of it not working for all people. This isn't a bad idea, nor am I saying that it won't work. However, if it was to act out, like preset sync sometimes does for people, then there's nor much of a point in making it?

It's a nice idea, but I personally am not 100% confident about this.

Pixel Doll Commissioned and Coloured by RingoKioko
Inactive // Retired // Gone

Offline greenart6

• The Chicken God
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 143
  • Spooky glowy ghost dogs
    • WornSkateboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 09:53:57 pm »
I've never thought of this, and this is a good idea, although it confuses me how it would exactly work XD Since with the Preset Sync, you have to upload the preset in order for it to be seen, but it would be a bit odd with items. Also, since the items are meshes while the presets are ya know, presets it would probably be a bit weird o3o I'm no expert here, but I'm guessing that it would really be glitchy. Plus, since people can go and get other item packs instead of this as well, it wouldn't solve much. Most people get Pawsome Item Pack, and even though I was using Thierry's item pack I decided to switch to Pawsome since the majority of FH users use it. The only way he might be able to do this is if he changed FH so that if, for example you were wearing the first item on the list, let's say a Christmas Hat, someone else wouldn't see it as their first item, but I'm pretty sure that he would need the source code. Again, I'm no expert.

I'm kinda confusingly rambling here but I agree that it would be a great idea, but sadly probably not possible. If he makes this actually feel free people from the future to laugh at me

AlphaEclipse

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 10:01:41 pm »
I agree with you- seeing different items is very annoying. The reason we see items messed up like that is because of that items.cfg file located in C:/Feralheart. That controls how they are listed in game, and if two items.cfg files have different orders, they will show up differently to each user. I'm not sure the sync would work well with that file since the instructions for the items are inside it as text and since users already have it in different orders (due to different item packs) the list would have to keep switching everything someone uploaded another item so it shows up in game. (A item that doesn't show up in the items.cfg is basically useless, and I think it would be annoying adding the coding yourself.)
Another reason a .cfg file couldn't work correctly in a sync would be because (a lot of mass marking users know what I mean here..) the .cfg eventually "terminates" and starts to repeat the same information in game, like markings. With all of those users uploading items (I'm sure some of which are not made by them) I'm not sure the .cfg file would work as it should if presented in the sync.

Hopefully most of that made sense - I couldn't really explain what I was thinking.. xD I like the idea, however I'm not sure it'll work correctly.

Offline kiaz1st

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 44
  • The Rogue
    • kiaz1st
    • kiaz1st
    • kiaz1st
    • View Profile
    • Kiaz Site
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 10:17:04 pm »
I did bring this up once in my old ideas thread, but it was disregarded and so I presumed it was simply impossible without the source code. But then again I also suggested the same thing with presets, and it seems that may have been answered in some way by Raz x3

Maybe it is possible, maybe it isn't, but it's a nice idea, which I would love to see in-game!;3

Offline Raphilion

• HOLD MY MOM
  • Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 65
  • WARNING: I'm a bad friend
    • View Profile
    • DA profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 10:42:57 pm »
Thank you all for your constructive feedback. I'm not going to go responding to each of your posts one by one as that would take all night XD but I see what you all are trying to say and I can relate/agree.
Like Alpha explained, I do know that different items are viewed by different members all due to the order in that items.cfg file. That's why I suggested an Auto Sync might fix it.

I never said it would be easy but no harm in trying? I see what you're trying to say Buff, there's the risk of it failing for some. but surely (I could be wrong, but hey), fewer people would be affected here than currently as the problems would be more isolated due to the auto-sync coming from one source. Especially if a spot on the server could be reserved for this then everybody would have the same order. EDIT: Reading that last sentence again, it didn't seem to make much sense :P What I meant to say, is instead of many different item packs and the possibility of users modifying packs themselves, this would all come from one source, kinda like with the Preset Auto Sync does.

As to what Dev said, the whole idea is to avoid the whole idea of everybody using different packs, rather have one pack that refreshes itself everytime a new item is added. I can't comment on the items.cfg file terminating itself though. Never encountered such a problem nor have I heard about it.

It's a risky idea... I agree... But is it not worth trying? So far I haven't encountered any problems with the Preset auto sync
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 10:50:55 pm by Raphilion »

My Canyon Map
Avatar by the Awesome Ruji / Michala