Author Topic: Skype Project? [Idea/Project]  (Read 1414 times)

Offline Just_Ice

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 8
    • View Profile
Skype Project? [Idea/Project]
« on: May 19, 2013, 07:46:55 pm »

The Idea

Alright. We all know how the Forum Roleplays work don't we? As well as the game's. But I don't really think that's working out too well. There's pros and cons to both (Which I'll list later). I think that people who want to RP with each other should use different kind of programs like Skype. Of course, I'm not trying to lead members away from the game. I just think we need an alternative like an instant message.

Pros and Cons for Forum

Pros

Long, detailed RP posts

Many different RP's to join

Able to keep track of what's going on

Can join multiple RP's at one time

Cons

Have to wait for people to reply

Roleplays often die

No private RP's

Takes forever to make a decent RP

Pros and Cons for Game

Pros

A large world to explore during RP

Private chat

Fast replies

Cons

Weird trolls interrupting

Barely ever literate

Too much OOC chat

Takes a very long time to get enough members

Not long-term

Conclusion

Since this is ONLY an idea, I am open to any kind of advice to make this into a project. I believe that this could work, making groups on Skype to Roleplay, so we have a nice mix of literacy and fast replies. Comment away!

BouncyLion101

Re: Skype Project? [Idea/Project]
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 11:33:59 pm »
Hm..this idea sounds alright.
But then you say that it takes too long to get members, but it usually doesn't. Just have to be patient, and wouldn't it be the same if it were no Skype because it is the same roleplay or whatever is going on?
And not everyone has the best computer, they may not be able to download Skype too and feel like they're being left out because all their friends are using Skype.

Don't really see the point for Skype for roleplays when you could just use the game.
And that part about people interfering with your roleplay, there's always the handy dandy block button. If you don't feel comfortable with actually blocking someone, just block them for a few hours and then unblock them. :3

Like I said, it's an alright idea. A good idea perhaps, but I don't think I'll ever use Skype to roleplay except with my close friends.

Offline Raz.

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 28
  • aka Raz ingame.
    • View Profile
    • My DA page
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 02:19:46 am »
Gonna add my two cents here having rp'd on Skype before.

It's not any faster or slower than rping on a forum or ingame. Mostly because you can have posts be as lengthy or as short as you like on Skype just like you can on a forum and/or ingame.

For example one of my friends and I have a Skype rp going, and it takes us around 20 minutes or so to write out a paragraph or two as a reply to one another.

Just because it's on Skype doesn't mean it's automatically fast, literate, immediate long lasting plot etc.

Although the advantage of Skype is that you can keep track of replies better and it's a lot more private/you cant get interrupted (only by real life lol).

TL;DR: Skype rp isn't really at all that different from rping ingame or on a forum.

SoulRevenge

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 02:51:40 am »
This sounds like an over-all 'legitiment' idea, however; I tend to see Skype as something you would use for chatting, perhaps with the occasional roleplays sprinkled here in there if you ever get bored. Nonetheless, with several younger-ish users (Like myself; I'm only eleven, and although I do have a skype, I know several other people that are thirteen years old and are not permitted to have a skype) going around, and parents wanting to keep their real face and what-not a secret from others. If everyone followed this idea, well; there might be a bit of an issue with who joins and who does not.

But, it is a cool idea! Skype is most certaintly a good program to use when roleplaying, but when it comes to groups and what-not; this program is best left to be used as mainly just something you 'chat' on, or perhaps just roleplay out a few things on; it's not exactly 'advisable' when you're sitting around with giant groups, xDD.