Author Topic: Roleplayer of the Month or Season?  (Read 2955 times)

ThrillexForLife

Roleplayer of the Month or Season?
« on: June 12, 2013, 11:01:36 pm »
Another contest? Roleplayer of the Month or season? How about that? I think it's pretty handy. Besides, we have a Member Of The Season, Art Contest, Presets Contest..Now how about a Roleplayer of the Month or season?  I think it's pretty fair, because we see who have the best roleplaying hands..Whatever it's called. But I think we should a new contest..What do you think?

Offline ~Stargazer~

• Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 78
  • "Helloooo? Trickster."
    • View Profile
    • My deviantART
Re: Roleplayer of the Month or Season?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 11:40:14 pm »
I would love to have something like this. But how would you do it? Explain how the completion would work so we can get a better gasp on how it would work.

Preset Download
Will be less active until October 7th.

ThrillexForLife

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 11:49:58 pm »
Probably similar to Member of the Season. -shrugs-

Offline ~Stargazer~

• Ancient Silver Mane
  • "Helloooo? Trickster."
    • View Profile
    • My deviantART
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 11:56:09 pm »
Would we do this contest like all people that wanted to enter would give an RP sample and after a certain amount of time everyone would have to vote?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 11:58:48 pm by ~Stargazer~ »

Preset Download

Offline Crin

• The Silver-Tongue
  • Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 113
  • The Illuminati Pedro Hat
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 12:03:51 am »
While I do support the idea of more contests (Which you will be seeing more of just not saying what), I'm not sure how well this would work out.

There wouldn't be much to judge on due to the different tastes of people who RP. You have wolfspeak, "normal literacy" RP, illiterate, multi-paragraph posts, one-liners, etc etc. There's too much to go on with that, and the results would be all over the place since it'd be quite wrong for us to set standards like "we're judging you based on how much advanced vocabulary you use" or "how long your posts are", because i think it's safe to say that.

But still, love the idea of new contests. We're working on some, just decided what to do still.
Resigned, quit, and basically long gone.

P R I D E <3

Offline ~Stargazer~

• Ancient Silver Mane
  • "Helloooo? Trickster."
    • View Profile
    • My deviantART
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 12:48:27 am »
Ah, what Crin says is true. And there are the picky Rpers that think you RP wrong if you don't RP the way they like it. But I still like the idea of new contests.

Preset Download

Offline unnbrellas

• Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 68
  • "fight me" i scream from under my bed
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant Art
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 02:19:04 am »
This would be fun, but "good roleplaying" is based on options and personal prefrences so it would be hard to do.

Formerly MochaCocoa; Find me ingame as ErikaFishhy!
Signature by ???????????�??

Offline SteampunkWolfdog

• That British Snob
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 157
    • ClockworkCarnivore
    • felislupus
    • @charliehowls2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2013, 10:36:09 am »
I've thought about this the other day and I think I have an idea as to how it might work.
Similar to the Preset Contest, contestants have a prompt, just as they have a theme for the Preset Contest. Contestants would then write a roleplay response to that prompt, and by the end of the deadline, judges will decide which roleplay response they liked best. The type of roleplay would probably be decided in a similar way that the theme for the preset contest is decided. Say, one month, the type of roleplay they're looking at would be multi-paragraph posts, and another month it could be single-sentences.
It'll be a bit like giving a roleplay sample.
That was just an idea.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 10:40:45 am by DoctorFlob »

Preset (Updated 3/1/17)

(Formerly SpiritSilverWolf)

Offline darkknight

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 60
  • Ask Questions
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2013, 12:04:00 am »
I like the idea of having more competitions, however, I don't particularly like the idea of having a role-playing contest. First, I'll simply put in pros and cons to having a role-playing competition and then explain why I think of a RP contest the way that I do.

Pros would include:
? The person or persons who actually do the role-playing and wins, will feel accomplished. (Of course)
? The feel of role-playing would be possibly heighten due to the season of competition.

Cons would include:
? Some individuals may be too competitive or slander another person's style of role-playing through pride.
? Individuals who do enter, may be intimidated by other players (especially beginners).
? Would possibly spawn favoritism with players. Who wouldn't want to role-play with the winner of a competition over the others?

Now, that I've set my own pros and cons, I'll explain why I don't think having a role-play contest is to my liking. I don't like the thought of having to compete with another person in storytelling. Everyone has a different style and way of narrating. To judge on one's writing ability bothers me. In addition, it would be discouraging. I say this because, if a person (or persons) won the contest, more likely, the contestants would follow in what the winners do. We all like to think of ourselves as winners or like to idealize someone else's work. People like to be influenced or influential, but with that, may come either a copy-cat or borrowing someone's style of narrating, depriving originality. It does not always happen immediately, but gradually.

To my point, I simply do not support the idea. I think it would being about competitive role-playing, favoritism, and place beginners to the side. I'm sure some people would find this fun to do, but I just don't.
Image © Mikita Kavalenka