Author Topic: How To RolePlay Correctly and Efficiently (Tips)  (Read 5497 times)

Luuxas

How To RolePlay Correctly and Efficiently (Tips)
« on: November 26, 2013, 06:50:41 am »
Hello. Before I begin, this topic goes against wolfspeak. If you are a follower of it, do not read this.

Thank you.

A Brief Introduction:

Many believe the overuse of 'terms' such as 'pillars,' 'cranials,' 'pendulum,' etc. is called literate. However, it is not. If you select the word 'pillars' it is used to creatively represent 'legs.' If you look at it literally, pillars are man-made, nature-made, nonliving structures that hold up certain items or used for decoration. Here are commonly used terms of wolfspeak that are misused and confusing.

pillars - explained above
auditories - ears
oculars -eyes
voids -eyes
chasms - eyes
pendulum -tail
canvas - body
brutus - male
femora, fae, daisy, felidae(some will understand!) - female

Some of these are somewhat acceptable. However, canvas is far off - since when did a sheet of fabric for painting become a wild animal's unusually graceful body? Or deep, treacherous pits become delicate eyes?

A Better Way to RolePlay

If you put these words aside, you are left with simpler words. However, with some creativity and skill, you can make them impressive and, in most cases more mature than the words, and many more, listed above. For example:

A mammoth brujo had arisen upon beefy, rough-coated stilts, a heavily plumaged pendulum swaying softly as twin chasms scanned the rotting vegetation in pride.

A large male had arisen, sturdy and muscular legs pulsing as he did so. His long, unusually furry tail swayed softly as his deep, golden eyes scanned the land before him. He felt proud, of an unknown reason.

Which is more understandable? Look at it this way: If the first example was literate, would it appear in a book? Absolutely not. Of course, most people would not understand. The second sample, however, could likely appear in a novel if someone was writing about a related topic.

Grammar/Realism

This is all I see, always.

"he stood up blinking he sat down then looked around he was sad and lonely then he saw (?) and walked to her smiling "your cute" and suddenly fell in love with her she was perfect and amazing he could never live without her"

. . .

"He stood up, blinking. Suddenly dismissing his first action and sat down once more. Looking around sorrowfully, he suddenly spotted (?). A small feeling aroused inside of him, but he did not know of what."

The top example has terrible grammar. In addition, it happens all too... quickly. A single male in real life could not possibly fall in love with a complete stranger without any confrontations and become devoted to her in less than a minute. It could happen, of course, but would be very odd. Stay away from suddenness!

Obvious Actions

There's a specific point in role-play where a character has constant personality swings. For example, a female tough inside out. There's no room for love, says her biography. It was all ripped away - she'll never love again. Ten seconds into Role-Play, she sparks an obvious interest for the manly alpha male and begins to flirt with him, abandoning her tough, stony attitude. Sure, however, you can nudge curt flirtatiousness into a post here and there... just don't overdo it. Nobody likes it.

Just make sure to be an overall honest, cool and calm person in and out of character. (Don't be too uptight either. Have some fun.)

References

Crazy colors in an unrealistic roleplay are fine. In a realistic one, however, stick to browns, grays, blacks, whites, and some creams. Gentle reds/gingers are uncommon but used.

Feel free to add opinions, extra tips and the like.

Offline meeeea

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 60
    • View Profile
Re: How To RolePlay Correctly and Efficiently (Tips)
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 09:23:08 am »
This is really helpful! I'm sure a lot of newbie roleplayers will find this great.<3

Offline crosscreature

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 11
  • Ew
    • cross-creature
    • Cross Creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 08:31:56 pm »
These are very helpful Luuxas. They help me a lot even though i'm not a newbie role player anymore.

Luuxas

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 08:14:36 pm »
This is really helpful! I'm sure a lot of newbie roleplayers will find this great.<3
Thank you <3

Luuxas

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 08:15:12 pm »
These are very helpful Luuxas. They help me a lot even though i'm not a newbie role player anymore.

No problem. Glad I could help <3

Offline FuryEyes726

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 06:17:57 pm »
Hmmm, this is very nice! Helpful as well. I found it easy to understand, and very neat.

Keep up the good work!
"Love the way you lie."

Luuxas

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2013, 10:01:47 pm »
Thank you very much!