Author Topic: Preset Distortion  (Read 1441 times)

Offline flandesuyo1

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
  • 月の王女
    • View Profile
Preset Distortion
« on: July 28, 2017, 05:19:47 am »
So me and my cousin have gotten back into preset making, doing all that fancy stuff y'know. Exporting and getting it to show up isnt an issue, it's the process of making it. The wolf model heavily distorts some things (like circle eyebrows, which are near impossible to get right) and markings and symbols. My cousin says there are presets she's seen where they got it to not distort at all. We both have looked around and have not been able to find info on why it doesn't distort. Are these people just really good at beating the distorting the wolf model does or is there a secret to beating it?
   ♡

Offline sanrio

• Grumpy Overlord
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 108
    • kiyatii
    • View Profile
Re: Preset Distortion
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 05:22:02 am »
From my knowledge on presets, it's mainly placement of the markings that you have to keep an eye out for, that along with how big the fur is on the character. The less fur, the more easier it is to place the markings, the more fur, the more difficult it is to place the marks. I have found an eyebrow tutorial that your cousin may be talking about:
https://flywheel68.deviantart.com/art/Revenge-of-the-Eye-Dot-Marking-584481704

Avatar by byambyy | Signature by rykerclawss

Offline flandesuyo1

• 月の王女
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 05:26:29 am »
What do you mean by how big the fur is? Are you talking about the fur texture? For example, how would I place a scar or symbol without it being distorted. We've seen presets where they go all the way down the leg and don't distort but when we try we just end up with a distorted mess. Things are usually just stretched out and screwed up. I really only see this issue with the wolf model.
   ♡

Offline sanrio

• Grumpy Overlord
  • Elder Grey Pelt
    • kiyatii
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 05:30:53 am »
What do you mean by how big the fur is? Are you talking about the fur texture? For example, how would I place a scar or symbol without it being distorted. We've seen presets where they go all the way down the leg and don't distort but when we try we just end up with a distorted mess. Things are usually just stretched out and screwed up. I really only see this issue with the wolf model.
What I mean by fur length is on the character creation menu:

As for fur texture, it doesn't really make a difference unless it's a messed up texture.
And maybe you could show us an image of said scar? It can give me a better understanding of what you mean by distorted.

Offline flandesuyo1

• 月の王女
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2017, 05:33:59 am »
Alright. I can't fetch photos but, what I mean by distorted is so lets say I'm making a circle eyebrow. If it goes  a little too high, the wolf model will make it kinda jut out like a triangle. The way the wolf model is made (like the way the wold model is kinda rendered to make expressions or that specific part, will stretch it out. The scars weren't the biggest issue but stuff like symbols are becoming a struggle.
   ♡

Offline flandesuyo1

• 月の王女
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2017, 05:35:12 am »
Same thing with arm. That's a big problem area
   ♡

Offline sanrio

• Grumpy Overlord
  • Elder Grey Pelt
    • kiyatii
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2017, 05:35:59 am »
Hm, I see what you mean, I've had trouble with it myself. Marking placement is basically just a guessing game, my only bit of good advice is to constantly export and check it in game using different fur lengths. I know it isn't of much help but it's the only advice I can give.

Offline Vespian

• An Unsightly Beast
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 242
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2017, 05:41:00 am »
Typically, if one wishes to make symbols or certain markings with an edge or bold design on their character, they will have to be actually pretty small.

I'll use my character, Sul Oren, as an example.

On his face, you'll clearly see some tribal paints going on:

But if I were to show you his head.fhp file, it'd look like this:

See how small the red painting is, other than the chin, and where it is all placed? It takes a bit of trial-and-error to get the right markings down, especially if the markings are complex or are in a more difficult area of the body like the back or legs where the tufts are sure to intervene if used.
And since the preset files are all accustomed to feline models, it takes even more trial-and-error to get the design to look right for the canine, specifically on the head.
As Ms. Arreze has stated, patience and learning where everything goes is the key.
gone

Offline flandesuyo1

• 月の王女
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2017, 06:27:38 am »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_x5OVn-yX8M (struggling to put in images but.. I apologize for how ridiculous the music is but towards the end you'll see the preset's left side. (scrolling marking s are of no concern to me.) its the fact that it is absolutely PERFECT markings. Are they just good at getting around all those things that can bend the markings or did they do something?
   ♡

Offline Morgra

• I don't like sand...
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 347
  • Ever been killed by a spider? I was
    • DinksterDaily
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2017, 06:33:38 am »
I'll pop in and recommend using these colored UV helpers: http://nekonotaishou.deviantart.com/art/FeralHeart-Preset-UV-guides-258716223

Place them in your image editing software with your preset and lower the transparency so you can still see the different colors but be able to draw underneath of them.
Profile pic by Edolicious

People don't think the universe be like it is, but it do.