Author Topic: Long Discussion + Long comments = Awkward Me ._.  (Read 2021 times)

Offline peete

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 8
  • Pineapples...
    • View Profile
Long Discussion + Long comments = Awkward Me ._.
« on: October 21, 2013, 01:13:54 am »
So I see this in a lot of topics on the forums. When I see this really great discussion and I want to join in, but I look at the responding comments and they're like 1 - 3 paragraphs long, and I'm just like, " ;-; Whut do I say now? -after typing-....I must be missing something here...."

When I see that I feel like the first few comments have pretty much maxed out what I would've responded with, and if they don't they're usually so long I can't read it XD. Not that I have a problem with people's discussion styles, but it amazes me oh how people talk so much about one question. Especially for an online game..
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 04:46:20 am by DevilBurgers »

INACTIVE BECAUSE OF INTERNET ISSUES...

Offline WhiteLightHeart

• iTrumpet~<3
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 230
  • Seems legit
    • WhiteLightHeart
    • View Profile
Re: Long Discussion + Long comments = Awkward Me ._.
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 02:30:23 am »
Awhh, it's okie~

I can relate to where you're coming from.
Sometimes, it does take some time of reading over a topic (particularly one where you're just now figuring out what is being said) before you can really put in your oar and bring something new to the table, or really analyze a discussion and say a whole lot about it.

So, it sometimes can feel a little out of place if your post is a bit shorter than those around you, but there's nothing necessarily wrong with it, so long as you at least put some thought into the discussion.

You might just agree with it, and those before you have already said what you're thinking.
Or, perhaps you just haven't thought of an alternate point of view, and it might take some time before you can really elaborate with a super long post.

So, I understand. But it's nothing to be self-conscious about, I don't think. Just give your current thoughts, as you would in any conversation. The rest may come later, though it's no crime if it doesn't.
|| ~Avatar by Kikiorylandia, Sig commissioned by Wolf_Memories~ ||
|| Thank you. <3 ||

Offline Jango_Fett

• Solid Snake
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 134
  • rotten kind of cute
    • euralore
    • EmpressWolf
    • littlemisscancer
    • parahyena
    • LM_Cancer
    • View Profile
    • Picarto.tv
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 09:26:15 pm »
its amazing, I have seeen MULTIPLE paragraphs worth of words! \o/
*Le does le litte anime le flail* AHH! they must be real patient!

i don't know nothing about mopeds
feral_cast.fhm
have a question? just ask - Rubricae#6972

Offline peete

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 8
  • Pineapples...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 01:09:28 am »
its amazing, I have seeen MULTIPLE paragraphs worth of words! \o/
*Le does le litte anime le flail* AHH! they must be real patient!

I wish I could write school papers as fast as I type on the forums :P Really patient...

INACTIVE BECAUSE OF INTERNET ISSUES...

Offline Redlinelies

• The FeralHeart Guru
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 792
  • Modoru Pride
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 09:10:17 am »
Forums are usually a place for information, opinions and discussions, threads base upon these things. You are here to read just as much as you are here to post. I can understand that not everyone enjoys to read long posts, especially depending on what subject it holds.

As was mentioned above, at times it can be a pain to read through most of these long posts that you can bump into, and even worse so if it's just not basic information but actually various opinions from different users regarding a certain subject. In some cases it can only be the matter of a user/person wanting to make as a much elaborate explanation or opinion, or in other cases maybe even that the subject at hand cannot be cropped down too much without sounding completely flat.

For a reader the text written by another when it becomes a bigger post must have some interesting writing(typing in this case) in order for people to keep on reading it. You as also want to make sure that others truly understand what it is you are trying to point out to the masses. Some matters are just more easily understood this way. Of course times might call for you to make short posts too once in a while, but in general, a long post as long as it's interesting and engaging is the way to go on the forum. Now as you said yourself though with users posting long posts and already saying everything you might thought of can happen to all of us, but when you think of it. If this "person" wrote a longer reply to a subject, and you fully agree with it and cannot come up with anything more to add, doesn't this mean that the poster actually did a good job with their post and got their point across?

As much as forums are for speaking for you and your opinion, it's also about speaking for others or balancing facts and information for others to read. I'm sure that if you gave these longer posts a good thinker, you'd be able to give feedback on those upon the original subject or maybe add on something new. Many threads on the forum end up big just because users discuss over other users replies and thoughts, not only for what you can see in the top post of the thread.

I also wish to point out that posting shorter posts after a longer one is not wrong if the thread was made to ask for opinions. There's ways you can explain your thoughts in an own way without actually copy pasting what another wrote. Could be seen as creative typing if you want to call it that. I will go ahead and excuse for this longer post due to the subject of this particular thread, but it's kinda to prove a point as well, not certain how this would look in a few sentences.
Former community manager of FeralHeart

Offline SteampunkWolfdog

• That British Snob
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 157
    • ClockworkCarnivore
    • felislupus
    • @charliehowls2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 04:46:45 pm »
Aww I found this really cute for some reason xD (don't ask)

Well, some people have different levels of confidence when it comes to writing something on a forum. Some people will be really confident and write several paragraphs, whereas others may be more hesitant and only write a few sentences. There's nothing wrong with that. Afterall, it's quality, not quantity that matters ;)
It could also be that the topic is something that particular people are passionate or have a lot of opinions about, so they'd write more. If it was a subject that you weren't really interested in, you're hardly going to spend 10 minutes writing a full length essay are you?

However long or short a reply is, as long as it's useful and relevant that's all that matters. :)

Preset (Updated 3/1/17)

(Formerly SpiritSilverWolf)