Author Topic: What IS Courage/Bravery?  (Read 1163 times)

Offline Silhouette

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 53
    • View Profile
What IS Courage/Bravery?
« on: January 08, 2012, 07:11:31 am »
So this has been bugging me for a while... It seems like, as far as role play goes, there are lots of different definitions for "Bravery" or "Courage." Many of the definitions I have either heard/observed from other players and their bios and a few are listed here, though there may be more. Here are just a few.

1. To face one's fear/ignore a fear or act upon a duty for one's or someone else's sake, despite a moderate to high risk. Refusing to face said fears, or not fufilling a duty without reason means one is a "coward."

2. To never back down from a fight, regardless of how risky/costly it is, for the sake of not being labled as "a coward."

3. To be fearless. No fear toward anything threatening or evil. Its just, not existant, and  being far from "fearless" is equal to being a coward

Im not really talking much about courage in terms of real-life as people as characters are more 2-D and easier to break down in terms of their actions and motives. So... any opinions? I just found it interesting because by some of these definitions, if a character caters to one definition, they might be considered a "coward" by another. I suppose you could apply it to RL, since its a word's definition but...again, trying to keep things a bit simpler... so any thoughts? I dont think the dictionary can do it justice because its seen differently by different people.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 07:15:12 am by Silhouette »

Offline Kyugima

• Dovahkiin
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 182
  • Koo Koo Kachoo
    • View Profile
    • DropJaw
Re: What IS Courage/Bravery?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 07:21:00 am »
Well, in a RP sitaution it can be all of those simply because courage/bravery is different depending on who you are asking. But I personally see it as both one and two. The third is not, that is foolishness, or lying to oneself. There is no such thing as an absence of fear XD

please click here! Help me raise my pokemon!
Signature: Kyugima, Rimfrost, Deafosho

Offline Windance

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 14
  • Om nom om om
    • View Profile
    • My Preset Thread
Re: What IS Courage/Bravery?
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 10:29:06 pm »
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the mastery of it." --Mark Twain

I dunno, when it comes to roleplay, and real life, sometimes I consider it more courageous to turn down a fight, even if it makes one labeled as a coward.
I've always personally thought that courage was doing the right thing, even if it is hard to do, or has a negative effect on the person doing what's right.