Author Topic: Languages  (Read 2113 times)

Offline wolfsquad

• Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 61
  • Did you take all your medication today?
    • View Profile
    • Information
Languages
« on: March 01, 2016, 11:36:52 am »
This may seem like an interesting topic to some.
If this already exists, then feel free to lock it and so (@Staff).
-------------
Have you ever wondered why languages exists, or why there's so many different ones, or maybe why some use words from another language to make up their own? Who even though of creating them, and why?
What are your thoughts on how languages came to be, and do you know any other than English?

I personally feel that someone wanted change in the world. It's not impossible to do it alone, but I feel they got other people to have agreed the same and created languages for there to be a difference. It could also have been used for privacy between talking to others about certain topics.
The only full language I know is English.
I know [small] bits of Korean, Japanese, French, German, Latin, Italian, and Spanish.

Offline Hakumi

• ✩ Just A Virtuous Smol ✩
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 130
  • A Smol & Helpful Floof ~
    • leanim3fr3akzoid
    • LeAnim3Fr3akzoid
    • View Profile
Re: Languages
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 11:59:50 am »
Oo, Very Interesting Topic Here.
I would have to agree with you on this one about someone wanting change in the world. It gives the world some more life, variety and proves that not everyone is the same, we all come from different backgrounds and such. We all want to stand out in the world or share some similarities, we're always evolving and learning and breaking away from the 'usual' things in life. I enjoy trying to pick up and learn about another person's language other than my own. It helps me learn about that person a bit more and we get to experience and learn something new.

As for the languages I know, I mostly speak English. But, I'm can mostly speak some phrases in Swedish & Spanish as well as picking up on some Japanese. My sis taught me some French and I'm working on Learning some German. . . . I wouldn't mind learning some new languages, Like Russia and Italian so that way I can communicate with mostly anyone. It'll be tough, but fun in my opinion. ~

Keep on traveling across this road called 'Life.'

Discord: Haku - Haku#74O7

Offline G4RG0YLE

• Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 170
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 04:20:39 pm »
What I've always been interested in, is not only how languages were formed and nowadays used in different countries; but also how the alphabet of each language was formed. For example, compare the English alphabet to the Chinese alphabet - they both have the same meanings, but because of the way their language differs they both have a different way of writing it. It's very odd, and I've always been intrigued by the Chinese and Japanese languages. All languages who have what some people consider unusual symbols has always made me wonder how it came about. Nice topic. <3

© short ' cakes on Discord ♡

Offline Tessel.

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 54
  • and this time, we're gonna get funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 08:08:11 pm »
This is a very interesting topic to discuss indeed. Sounds like something I'd question at 3am while having deep thoughts, haha.

I'm always curious about languages. Shurtle and Hakumi basically took the words right out of my mouth. It's just so cool that the world has so many different languages, all unique in their own way. I too wonder about how the alphabet/letters for each individual language were brought about, and how they created the language in the first place.

The languages I know are, well, the obvious one, English. I am of Russian descent, but only know a couple of words and phrases. I also know French, because it's taught in school and its a main language here. And finally I know ASL/American Sign Language, if that counts, which I started learning back in grade 7.

Siggy and avi by me. PM me if you need anything, friends.

Preach

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2016, 08:36:42 pm »
Generally speaking, I would be very impressed if I was able to speak another language. Perhaps spanish or latin. Most of my family speaks spanish or latin, but I was never around them to listen or learn it. Currently, I am taking spanish 2 and it is tough to understand. I mean I understand it. For example, if you gave me a word in spanish, I would get it. However, if it was used in a sentence, I wouldn't get it. But anyway, I would be very impress of myself. But yes, its impressive to see how the world have many languages, especially in Game of thrones, I am pretty shocked they are able to speak it. xo And its a made up language!

The languages I speak is english, sadly. I know a few words in spanish, french. *sigh*

Offline hugrf2

• Purple Derple
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 120
  • wrow
    • hugrf
    • channel/UChLphw5s3-hS8EFAgnNv6FQ
    • hugrf
    • hugrf
    • Ain't nobody got time fo' dat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2016, 03:57:16 am »
Very interesting topic here. I like questions like these. x3

But yes... Logically I assume languages were formed for or because of independence in some way. I don't really know why so many different languages were formed - I'm actually very curious myself. Humans are very creative, though, so maybe because of that. There could be many, many reasons why there are so many. It's actually kind of confusing... lol.

It is interesting, though, when you think about it. A bit frustrating too. The only languages I know a little bit of are French and German, mostly French. Just a /tiny/ bit, though, and I can't speak it. Can only type, or more likely read it. With German, again, only a few basic words like "Liebe" or "ich" and "bin."

Hopefully I can learn more of the two, though. German can be pretty. x3

Offline Wyldercat

• The Crimson Cryptic
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 101
  • yare yare daze
    • bugbearbear
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2016, 01:40:02 am »
English and some basic words and phrases in Italian.
non scrivete suol foglietto

Feel to pm/whisper me if you have any questions or just want to chat.
nya

Offline greenart6

• The Chicken God
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 143
  • Spooky glowy ghost dogs
    • WornSkateboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2016, 02:55:02 am »
I think languages are really interesting, and seeing the similarities and differences between different languages is really fascinating. I myself only know English and am learning German (I know a fair amount so far, I'd probably die having a full conversation, but I know basic sentences and pronouns and stoof).